Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

arbeloa signing for West Ham so I don't think Richards will go there now. 

You mean like in the same way Messi coming to us would have meant the Adomah deal falling through? I hear ya!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

i never really understand why staring at horses mouths has any bearing on things

Boring me says:
some website

Never look a gift horse in the mouth! Wait, why would I not want to do that? Well, think of it this way: if someone was polite enough to give you your very own horse as a gift, would you then inspect the animal to see if it's of good quality, especially when the person who gave the horse to you is standing right there next to you? Probably not, because that might be seen as very rude behavior. Apparently, though, there were people who would inspect the horse, particularly the mouth region, in order to determine the horses age. Yeah, you can do that. The length of a horses teeth can be used as an indicator for their age; the longer the teeth, the older the horse.

some other website

As with most proverbs the origin is ancient and unknown. We have some clues with this one however. The phrase appears in print in English in 1546, as "don't look a given horse in the mouth", in John Heywood's A dialogue conteinyng the nomber in effect of all the prouerbes in the Englishe tongue, where he gives it as:

"No man ought to looke a geuen hors in the mouth."

It is probable that Heywood obtained the phrase from a Latin text of St. Jerome, The Letter to the Ephesians, circa AD 400, which conatins the text 'Noli equi dentes inspicere donati' (Never inspect the teeth of a given horse). Where St Jerome got it from we aren't ever likely to know.

Also football n that. Transfers n that. VTID. On topic n that.