Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

10 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Does anyone else feel that had we bought in the likes of De Laet, Chester, Elphick, Jedinak, McCormack and Hernandez at the start of last season we would have stayed up?

not if Sherwood was still in the hot seat... from the limited games and structure ive seen RDM impose, no doubt we'd still be in the premier league today if he was manager

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I like the way that when Nixon says we're in for Hernandez most believe him, but when Murphy says that it won't happen people try and convince themselves that he's wrong because he's got something wrong in the past. Pretty sure that Murphy has been a lot more reliable over the years on Villa news than Nixon. Also Xia himself at one point ruled out Hernandez. We'll just sign someone else.

To be fair I am kinda skeptical of any of the media now. I go more by hints from the Dr.!

• Like 1

Another reason we're not after Hernandez is that he's pacy but he doesn't really utilize it in terms of being an attacking threat. I presume our reason for wanting a pacy striker is so we can do just that.

37 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Aston Villa in shock loan move for Adnan Januzaj :D 

My mate said he just saw him at Birmingham airport, and I hear he's probably really good friends with Ritchie De Laet. :ph34r:;)

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

Xia's already given us an hint...

That's not a hint that we wont be signing him. He's stating that he doesn't have a release clause. We're obviously interested otherwise we wouldn't know he doesn't have a release clause.... 

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Pat Murphy is a jealous bluenose, that's all.

I've heard him on national radio a couple of times and he did us no favours.

I thought his beef was principally against Lerner et al as Murphy was a MON sycophant, rather than anti-Villa per-se?

It's a massive hint that we won't be signing him. We inquired but were informed of him not having a  release clause hence the 'unfortunately' and 'don't shoutout'. Also states them not having a manager as another reason, a position that Hull still find themselves in.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Xia's already given us an hint...

Can things change? Does 'unfortunately' mean we are/were in some way interested? They don't have a manager, but they do have a chairman and he's said there are bids in for players - possibly even a Hernandez replacement? Could 'don't shout' out be interpreted as a jokey thing along the lines of sshhhh - don't let anyone else know we want him?

You could be right of course, and you probably ARE!

We were obviously interested at one point but Xia's pointing out the reasons why it won't happen. I'd like us to sign him but I think pretty much everything is pointing to us not signing him.

Can't think why Murphy would rule out Wells though, he's quick an international, and presumably wouldn't be out of our price range. Unless he's about to sign for someone else. Unless PM's heard that we just rate him.

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You seem desperate to convince people we won't be signing him. 

Do you not think the opposite is more true - that people convince themselves we're signing each player we're linked with?

Every time there's a solid (or solid enough) link with a player, we love it.  We generally big the player up as much as possible, posting YouTube videos and saying he's "exactly what we need".  As soon as Jedinak got linked, he's a great signing.  As soon as Hernandez is linked, he's a great signing.  As soon as Yedlin is linked, he's a great signing.

Anyone who is involved with dampening down a rumour (whether correctly or incorrectly) is criticised.

I'm not saying Hernandez will or won't happen - I have no idea - but useless is correct.  Nixon's tweet saying it's Hernandez got respect and discussion, Murphy's tweet saying it isn't got "bitter Bluenose".

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Can't think why Murphy would rule out Wells though, he's quick an international, and presumably wouldn't be out of our price range. Unless he's about to sign for someone else. Unless PM's heard that we just rate him.

Because he probably isn't our main target, we'll have lists of players for each position.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Do you not think the opposite is more true - that people convince themselves we're signing each player we're linked with?

Every time there's a solid (or solid enough) link with a player, we love it.  We generally big the player up as much as possible, posting YouTube videos and saying he's "exactly what we need".  As soon as Jedinak got linked, he's a great signing.  As soon as Hernandez is linked, he's a great signing.  As soon as Yedlin is linked, he's a great signing.

Anyone who is involved with dampening down a rumour (whether correctly or incorrectly) is criticised.

I'm not saying Hernandez will or won't happen - I have no idea - but useless is correct.  Nixon's tweet saying it's Hernandez got respect and discussion, Murphy's tweet saying it isn't got "bitter Bluenose".

I didn't leap to the defence of the Drogba rumour - so no.

By the way I'm not saying we're not signing Hernandez, just that I'm pretty convinced that we won't be. Someone like Wells or Assombalonga (I've no idea if he's fast) wouldn't a bad alternative.

• Like 1