Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

With a week to go until the end of the window, and Hull somehow penniless and in dire need of players, they will have little choice but to sell if we make them a good offer. They need bodies, so are going to have to trust their scouting department and hope for the best.

I expect this to be done soon so that Hull can rebuild - I imagine Phelan will get the job full time now so they can make these signings with his sign off.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, useless said:

By the way I'm not saying we're not signing Hernandez, just that I'm pretty convinced that we won't be. Someone like Wells or Assombalonga (I've no idea if he's fast) wouldn't a bad alternative.

You rule out Hernandez 'cos Tony said there was no release clause. But think Wells or Assombalonga fit into the "world class" bracket that Tony stated for for a striker? 

6 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

I still have a gut feeling that Dr X wants a marquee signing and let's be honest the best one's tend to be number 9's.

Well I'm hoping for it anyway.

I have a feeling it will be someone out of the blue.

True, he seriously seems to get a kick out this ownership of a football club and being a fan, as well as making fans happy. I think he may want a marquee signing for us, as much as himself! With the chinese club owner "Dick swinging competition" in the back of his mind!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Do you not think the opposite is more true - that people convince themselves we're signing each player we're linked with?

Every time there's a solid (or solid enough) link with a player, we love it.  We generally big the player up as much as possible, posting YouTube videos and saying he's "exactly what we need".  As soon as Jedinak got linked, he's a great signing.  As soon as Hernandez is linked, he's a great signing.  As soon as Yedlin is linked, he's a great signing.

Anyone who is involved with dampening down a rumour (whether correctly or incorrectly) is criticised.

I'm not saying Hernandez will or won't happen - I have no idea - but useless is correct.  Nixon's tweet saying it's Hernandez got respect and discussion, Murphy's tweet saying it isn't got "bitter Bluenose".

I didn't criticise him. And I don't disagree with his point about different journalists getting different treatment. But that doesn't surprise me, people want to go with the more positive story. 

Useless just seemed really keen to tell people it's not happening. 

• Like 1

I rule out Hernandez for an host of reasons that I've already stated.

Wells and Assombalonga might not be world class but neither is Hernandez (no offense as I said, hope we sign him). Besides I think it's been established that by 'world class' Xia means an international footballer which wouldn't rule out Assombalonga or Wells.

Edited by useless

12 minutes ago, useless said:

I rule out Hernandez for an host of reasons that I've already stated.

Wells and Assombalonga might not be world class but neither is Hernandez (no offense as I said, hope we sign him). Besides I think it's been established that by 'world class' Xia means an international footballer which wouldn't rule out Assombalonga or Wells.

Considering Wells has had 9 caps for Bermuda and Assombalonga has never played international football I'd say it does. 

Edited by PieFacE

Wells fits into the criteria because he's an international, as do any number of other strikers who've played international football. And if we were to turn it around and say what Xia meant by 'world class' is just that, world class, then that would rule out Hernandez.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Wells fits into the criteria because he's an international, as do any number of other strikers who've played international football. And if we were to turn it around and say what Xia meant by 'world class' is just that, world class, then that would rule out Hernandez.

Playing for Uraguay at International level for the senior squad, olympic squad and at youth level is slightly different than playing for Bermuda, let's be honest. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Gabby is an international, and pacy - its been so long since he played 'its like a new signing'  - ticks all the boxes folks...

Oh no that's exactly what I thought

There's no doubt that Hernandez as an higher international pedigree than Wells. Besides if one rules out Hernandez partially because of what Murphy has said, then it follows that they must also rule out Wells. I think whoever we sign it will be someone unexpected that hasn't been mentioned. We might get another club from Xia soon enough.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, useless said:

There's no doubt that Hernandez as an higher international pedigree than Wells. Besides if one rules out Hernandez partially because of what Murphy has said, then it follows that they must also rule out Wells. I think whoever we sign it will be someone unexpected that hasn't been mentioned. We might get another club from Xia soon enough.

Fair enough. I think it's Hernandez still. There's no smoke without a fire, Hull are after another striker, Hernandez has stated he would sign for Villa, he's been left out of the squad tonight, Tony has confirmed we've enquired about him (well, that we know he hasn't got a release clause)

Edited by PieFacE

Hmmmm...

Alan Nixon‏@reluctantnicko 
Hull City getting busy. Bid in for rising star striker. And serious move for Prem midfielder. Plus a keeper. Somebody leaving? ;)

Edited by PieFacE