Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Wish we would've kept Lowton now, he would have been perfect for us at this level as he showed for Burnley last year.

Agree

but he's another one who got sucked in to our rot and his professionalism went, mental missus making him live in Sheffield and travel every day iirc turning up late for training etc head not always with it

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

If we're are attacking, I don't think there are better full backs to have than Amavi and Yedlin in this division. The pace of the two of them would also be bloody frightening on the break.

The jury is out on them in terms of defense though. Maybe with Jedinak in there he might drop back to protect Elphick and Chester when these two are bombing forward? Add to this that Grealish and Ayew will not necessarily stick out wide as they tend to cut inside with the ball more often then not. We'd end up looking like this on the break :blink:

-----------------Gestede-------------------

----Grealish---McCormack----Ayew---

Amavi----------Tshibola--------Yedlin---

------------------Jedinak------------------

-----------Chester---Elphick-------------

-------------------Gollini--------------------

If playing two wingbacks, you have the choice of playing two DM's or, a 3-man back line with a single DM. Anything else would be suicidal, especially with wingbacks who are weak defensively.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1958Villan said:

If playing two wingbacks, you have the choice of playing two DM's or, a 3-man back line with a single DM. Anything else would be suicidal, especially with wingbacks who are weak defensively.

I don't think we'll use them as wing backs, more fullbacks with a license to attack when the time is right.

Haven't seen enough of Yedlin to say either way, but.

From what I've seen so far this season (early days) one of our main issues has been the giant gap left on the flanks by our RB & LB either bombing up in attack or moving too narrow towards the CB's when defending. 

The wide backs will be incredibly important if this tactic is to work. I think Amavi will be just fine, but we just have to get the RB signing right.

From the little I've seen of Yedlin he's been a bit all over the place, is he talented enough going forward and fast enough to cover for being out of position or should we go for someone a bit more versatile?

I know, I know, slim pickings being a Championship club.

Edited by sne

10 hours ago, omariqy said:

The manager and owner have pretty much confirmed we are.

Wonder why its taking so long, we all know about the RB problem, so it seems our top targets have not materialised due to the length

of time its taking to sign one, it should have been a priority unless they see Bacunna (shudder) as the long term

33 minutes ago, tismyk said:

Wonder why its taking so long, we all know about the RB problem, so it seems our top targets have not materialised due to the length

of time its taking to sign one, it should have been a priority unless they see Bacunna (shudder) as the long term

Doubt they would see Bacuna as long term, maybe make do until January if the wanted targets are not available. 

I do think we could cope until then but rather we got one in now, someone with more intelligence, can defend and can deliver a good ball.

• Like 1

We might be able to persuade some better targets to come in January if we are flying high,  they could be persuaded that we are PL bound so might be tempted more. 

Saw something saying Bamford is waiting to see if Premier League offers come along. I am a bit apprehensive about us signing all these "championship" players permanently, and being stuck with them when/if we are promoted. Especially for crucial areas such as striker. The like of McCormack I have no issue with being a part of a PL squad. Either way, guess I ould rather the board worry about that after, just hope it doesn;t affect our progress. RDM has been spot on so far. I would still prefer someone like that Bristol City striker (Then again I just realised Bamford is only 23, seems like he has been around forever!)

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Wish we would've kept Lowton now, he would have been perfect for us at this level as he showed for Burnley last year.

He'd have done very well for us in this league.

Should've just loaned him out like we did Bennett.

54 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Saw something saying Bamford is waiting to see if Premier League offers come along. I am a bit apprehensive about us signing all these "championship" players permanently, and being stuck with them when/if we are promoted. Especially for crucial areas such as striker. The like of McCormack I have no issue with being a part of a PL squad. Either way, guess I ould rather the board worry about that after, just hope it doesn;t affect our progress. RDM has been spot on so far. I would still prefer someone like that Bristol City striker (Then again I just realised Bamford is only 23, seems like he has been around forever!)

I'm not convinced about Bamford to be honest.

1 hour ago, JPAngel said:

I don't think we'll use them as wing backs, more fullbacks with a license to attack when the time is right.

And isn't that the definition of a wing-back JPA, a fullback with the license to attack, when the time is right?

• Like 1

I have a feeling we're in for Charlie Austin. Apparently Soton have made him available for around £12m, I imagine a few clubs will be in for him which could be why Xia said the number 9 would be our most difficult and last signing. That is all guesswork, but I would be delighted with Austin.

Just now, guyavfc said:

I have a feeling we're in for Charlie Austin. Apparently Soton have made him available for around £12m, I imagine a few clubs will be in for him which could be why Xia said the number 9 would be our most difficult and last signing. That is all guesswork, but I would be delighted with Austin.

Would be pleased if we got Austin.  Also saw Derby  linked with a loan move for Man Utd striker James Wilson - maybe he could do a job here?

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Charlie Austin would be a phenomenal signing 

I'd imagine another premier league club would take him before he would need to step down to the championship. He would be a great signing though.

The rags have been reporting that Koeman whats to take Austin to Everton. I'd be amazed if we could tempt him out the PL.