Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I'm not dismissing it just passing on his thoughts. He's well placed to make that kind of judgment. The fact that we're in the championship is the important one though and we could do a lot worse. 

26 minutes ago, tommybread said:

Harry Kane went on 4 loans in 3 years. Had an identical spell at Norwich where he never got to play and even dropped back down to the Championship with Leicester and saw little game time. Do you need to be reminded where he is now? Bamford's loans on the whole have been a lot more impressive than Kane's and a loan spell in the PL where he never got the chance to even play doesn't change that. 

So...couldn't get into Palace's or Norwich's teams - neither of which were scoring goals.  Hardly smacks of being worth £10m.  I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong but for me there's a reason he hasn't kicked on and nowhere he's been on loan seem to have wanted to make it permanent.

Patrick Bamford is a proven Championship player. Championship, as in the league we're in! His PL record at this point is irrelevant. 

Plus he's only 22 years old. If he helps us get promoted, we'll be at least £100m richer so he either comes with us because he's a year wiser and better, or we sell him to another club looking for a tried and trusted Championship striker.

No brainer for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

£10M is about the going rate for a Championship goalscorer. If we wanted someone like Rhodes or the guy from Fulham it would probably cost closer to £15M. We either have the choice of paying big for someone proven in this division or take a gamble on someone doing well from a lower league or abroad.

No it's not. That fee has very rarely been paid for a Championship striker.

Bamford has had one good season at that level so hardly 'proven'.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Patrick Bamford is a proven Championship player. Championship, as in the league we're in! His PL record at this point is irrelevant. 

Plus he's only 22 years old. If he helps us get promoted, we'll be at least £100m richer so he either comes with us because he's a year wiser and better, or we sell him to another club looking for a tried and trusted Championship striker.

No brainer for me.

Agree, and just to add to this, if he fired us to promotion with the sort of goal return he had at Middlesbrough, I'm sure we could easily recoup that £10m even if it was felt he couldn't make the step up. 

I'd be happy if we signed Bamford, but not for £10m.

A structured deal would be the best, where we pay around £5m upfront and then the rest in instalments if he 1) gets us promoted, 2) scores 15+ goals, 3) gets into the Championship team of the season etc

Like others, I agree a loan would be good, but I'd imagine that Chelsea would prefer to sell him, as it's probably gone past the point where they think he could reach the standard required to make it there.

Yet people really seem to want us to spend more than his rumoured value on Jordan Rhodes or Ross McCormack - **** hilarious VT as usual [emoji3]

I haven't seen anyone say they want us to sign Rhodes or McCormack.

Although i think Bamford would be a good signing, i think that we should really look into the market, because for 10 million we could get 3 really good players for our squad. Looking at teams like Southampton, Leicester,  West Ham and even teams like Brighton and Middlesborough they have been pretty shrewd in the transfer market in recent years.

I think Di Matteo will surprise a few in this transfer market, i reckon that he and his team will have players on their list that the media will not be that aware of tbh. 

There are players from league 1, even in the lower european leagues that could really enhance our squad and i would not be surprised RDM already has an idea of what he wants. 

Crazy to think that we could have a totally different set of players this time next month.

Have Liverpool finished paying for Benteke yet. Maybe we could give them £16.5 and let them off with the rest of the debt. Would be a good statement signing, to usher in a new era.

Bamford, gestede, McCormack and Hepburn Murphy would cover most basis and would be a strong forward line imo.

Not a big fan of payING 15m for McCormack but if we loaned Bamford and made around 10m from ayew, Kozak and Gabby.... then I think it'd be good business.

2 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

No brainer for me.

Again, one good season =/= 'proven'

20 minutes ago, useless said:

Have Liverpool finished paying for Benteke yet. Maybe we could give them £16.5 and let them off with the rest of the debt. Would be a good statement signing, to usher in a new era.

Dream on.

23 minutes ago, useless said:

im sure Benteke be chuffed to play in Championship 

3 hours ago, sonic_bouma said:

Why am I seeing Twitter rumours that we are in advanced talks with Daniel Ayala from Boro for 9m? Why on earth would he swap the prem for us and why would they let him go to us after he was in the championship team of the season?

i smell bull faeces.

Ayala is really quite good. I agree that I don't understand why he would drop back to the championship though. Unless Boro told him they plan on signing a new center back to replace him with.