Pep Guardiola

Guest av1

I think Pep will find it difficult not to improve Citeh next season as they have been absolute garbage this season (in the league). 

I do think this will be his biggest test. Interesting to see how it pans out

• Like 1

They'll walk the league because they're starting from a position of strength and relative stability. Their main rivals will all be going through a period of transition with only Spurs and Arsenal (lol) likely to really push them imo. All Citeh need is a few world class players in key positions and they're done.

I think he's been a bit of a failure at bayern. 

Think he's got a lot to prove and is a long way behind simeone imo. By a lot to prove, I mean away from the comfort and familiarity of barca.

Think pochettino is potentially as good too.

Edited by Woodytom

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He created one of the best club teams in history which in turn helped create one of the best national teams in history,

I think that's a bit OTT. He played his part in continuing the domination of Barcelona but them and Spain had a programme that they'd  been working on for a couple of decades.

Isn't Johan Cruyff credited for a lot of the foundations for the team barca are now. 

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the difference being they did inherit a quality team, pep inherited a team built around ronaldinho and deco, with thuram and zambrotta still playing in defence and edmilson as the holding midfielder, they won nothing in 06/07, including losing the european super cup and even the world club cup, they finished 3rd in la liga and won nothing in rijkaards final year (rijkaard is genuinely an incredibly overrated manager who relied on superstar players and has disappeared from football) barca were in a bad place when pep took over, not sure if its the CL win over arsenal or the games vs chelsea that make people think otherwise

shifted the old stars out, brought in alves and pique, promoted busquets and gave messi the prominent role in the team, messi you can argue is all down to timing but the other 3 remain key players in the barca team 8 years later

Yeah, but you can't work as hard as, you can't work as hard as Frank Rijkaard. 

2 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

They'll walk the league because they're starting from a position of strength and relative stability. Their main rivals will all be going through a period of transition with only Spurs and Arsenal (lol) likely to really push them imo. All Citeh need is a few world class players in key positions and they're done.

I can't agree here City are a mess at the moment. Arguably the whole defense and midfield has to be scrapped.

Out of tonight's starting 11 2-3 maybe you would keep for a top team. I think he has a massive job to do there.

So many players on big contracts that will be hard to shift. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heffoman said:

I can't agree here City are a mess at the moment. Arguably the whole defense and midfield has to be scrapped.

Out of tonight's starting 11 2-3 maybe you would keep for a top team. I think he has a massive job to do there.

So many players on big contracts that will be hard to shift. 

Aguero, De Bruyne, Silva and Hart are 4 players they can build a side around. It wont take much for Pep to build a championship winning side. Leicester have proved that

Silva is 30 now and had a poor season, Augero struggles with injury and De Bruyne blows very hot and cold as evidenced by last night.

I don't think there anywhere close to Barcelona and Bayern when he took over. 

When you look at it they are 13 points off Leicester. For the money spent on that team it's shocking.

I think both chelsea and Manchester City and to an extent teams like PSG (certainly in the champs league) and real madrid show that blowing money left right and centre is really not the way forward.

You have to build a culture, that put simply, money can't buy.

Barcelona and athletico do it, Leicester, ferguson's United, mid 90's ajax. I think to an extent teams like Dortmund too. 

That will be guardiola's test imo, can he build the winning culture that imo, was already there at barca (tho granted they hit a sticky patch with rijkaard) and bayern.

I'm surprised that even some journalists are going with the 'failure' angle.

I'd imagine its only British journalist's though. I feel like there is a tendency to try and break down people's achievements before they enter the mighty Premier League.

How has he not? Hes dominated german football. And got to the semi-final 3 years in a row. You do realise how high-variance tournaments are right?

You know its a problem of your criteria of failure/living up to hype is winning the champs league when you can play scrubs all the way to the final, win the competition, be considered as a huge success...or you can keep running into the best teams in the world along the way, fall short in a high variance tourny towards the end and be considered a failure. Direct Results in short term get attributed way too much towards the managers by fans

From the SF's...one of them was his fault. The other two was just variance. If someone scoring a penalty (muller) would stop you having this discussion right now, i think its time rethink your opinion

Yeh they would be slightly dissapointed in not winning a CL...but they will also look at it a bit deeper than just results to realise why they havent won, and be ok with it.

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

He hasn't because his hype is the best manager in the world.

Not once have bayern been the best team in the world. He's not been an absolute catastrophe obviously but he certainly hasn't progressed bayern Munich. 

• Like 1

Â