Pep Guardiola

Guest av1

normally I would agree but they were reigning champions when he took over and easily the best team in Europe at the time. They annihilated Barcelona and people thought it was the end for Barcelona that night

But in his 2 biggest games for Bayern they havent looked near that level, Neuer kept them from a cricket score in Camp Nou last season and have lost last 2 semi finals combined 10-3

Another lol from posters...BM vs barca game had quite a lot of injuries. Especially to key players. Gg robben + ribery. Its like saying barcs got slaughtered by BM because they didn't have messi/neymar. C'mon guys...you can do better than this. At least try when you come up with better arguments in a high variance tournament. You look silly

Anyone who takes champs league results by it self whilst ignoring variance + injuries is again. Below par intelligence (in football). 2 game leg decide winner is so lol to base results from.

Fk it...Greece best team in Europe a few years ago...am I right zatman????

P.s BTW zatman...when you actively dislike someone...do you ever take a step back to look at your opinion and what you're saying? Its so lolbiased because you don't like him or his style of football

Edited by gharperr

On 05/01/2016 at 16:28, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Not a fan of Guardiola but it'll be interesting at least.

He is very fashionable isn't he and he'll get paid silly money when, for me, he hasn't really proved much  (yet).

I think Mcleish could have got a tune out of those Barcelona and Munich sides.

Be interesting to see how he gets on here. It's far more competitive every single week than he will be used to. 

Will people be making the usual excuses if it doesn't go his way? "It's not his side" etc. If he's as good as his paycheck suggests he'll be able to get any decent group of players winning. Anyone could win the league with a blank cheque or the world's best players (literally). There's no need to pay anyone like him so much money to do so.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

He is very fashionable isn't he and he'll get paid silly money when, for me, he hasn't really proved much  (yet).

He's won:

5 League Titles

3 domestic cups

2 champions leagues

3 club world cups

and various other super cups in what... 7 years of management?

I think he's proved he can manage a good team extremely well. And he's still a baby in managerial terms

Edited by Stevo985

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's won:

5 League Titles

3 domestic cups

2 champions leagues

3 club world cups

and various other super cups in what... 7 years of management?

I think he's proved he can manage a good team extremely well. And he's still a baby in managerial terms

It's like Celtic winning the league over and over. They're beating what's in front of them but it's just so 1 sided. He has a great CV managing 2 of auguably the best teams in world football. Barcelona had an embarrassment of riches... and Bayern very similar. Neither league has the weekly intensity of the premier league. 

He may be the real deal. But I think it's difficult to judge him with the incredibly easy roles he's had so far.

As you say, he's a baby in managerial terms. In 10 years time with a bit more variety on his CV he might not be quite so fashionable. He might also hold his place of the most sought after manager around. I'm just saying, it's difficult to draw conclusions on how good he is after a spell at Barcelona and a spell at Bayern Munich.

• Like 1

Celtic don't have Real Madrid in their league, and nobody has won 2 champions leagues with them.

He's managed two very good teams, but he's managed them very well and won a lot. To say he's proved nothing is miles from the truth.

He might not have proved some things, but he's done pretty much everything that could be asked of him (apart from a champions league for Bayern I guess)

I think people remember the CL final vs arsenal in 2006 and then forget the next 2 years of rijkaard, they really struggled (comparatively) Ronaldinho, deco and etoo were all lacklustre and moaning like ****, messi had broke through but not world class, they could very very easy become another Real Madrid, not sure people understand that having a squad of world class talent requires a different type of management, ego stroking, Rafa has just shown he couldn't do it, pep did it brilliantly and got them playing some amazing football

Can remember the CL final v Utd, put etoo on the right wing and messi up top, Utd couldnt touch it, overrated manager that blew fergie out of the water in 2 finals...

Read graham hunters barca book, it's very good, not just on pep but on the whole club at that time, balague has also done a pep book but that's written by balague so I haven't bothered

Think the ibrahimovic / messi spitting out his dummy is a blot and I don't think he's done anything mind blowing at bayern but at times I do think over the 2 legs you do have to look at who they lost to rather than just them, barca are back to being brilliant, if pep beats them then fair play, I don't see it personally but I won't hold it against him

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's managed two very good teams, but he's managed them very well and won a lot. To say he's proved nothing is miles from the truth.

Not sure who said he's proved nothing? Maybe it was on the previous page ;)

• Like 1

On 08/01/2016 at 15:59, gharperr said:

Its so lolbiased because you don't like him or his style of football

Little query here: I have seen this used once or twice recently - what does it mean/where does it come from? Is it a thing now to just whack 'lol' on the front of existing words?

• 3 months later...

:crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

overrated clown again struggling in the big matches, even when he had Messi and Xavi and Iniesta he nearly choked in big semi-finals.

2009 worst ref performance in history got Barca through

2010 - Inter beat them

2011 - dodgy red card turned game against Real

2012 - outsmarted by Di Matteo

2014 - hammered by Real

2015 - hammered by Barca

2016 - beaten by Atletico

will be slaughtered next season at City on counter attack with similar set-ups and less talented players

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

overrated clown again struggling in the big matches, even when he had Messi and Xavi and Iniesta he nearly choked in big semi-finals.

will be slaughtered next season at City on counter attack with similar set-ups and less talented 

I think I just became a Man City fan...

Perhaps a bit unlucky over both legs but lacked the killer instinct. They had the chances.  I dont think Bayern have the best players in the world. . They are certainly not as good without Robben. Aguero and De Bruyne are two players that would walk into the Bayern side. 

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2010 - Inter beat them

2011 - dodgy red card turned game against Real

2012 - outsmarted by Di Matteo

2014 - hammered by Real

2015 - hammered by Barca

2016 - beaten by Atletico

will be slaughtered next season at City on counter attack with similar set-ups and less talented players

The personal dislike for pep in this post is funny. Every win he has you make excuse for them winning. Everyone loss is legit loss against them without even thinking of reasoning why they lost

Pep at BM and champs league isnt a failure really. The only one which was bad was real.madrid which he openly admitted he personally **** up in.

BM had redic number of injuries during the game against barca and that was always going to be really really tough to win. Pretty hard to blame pep for losing against Barca without full squad

And he cant really be blamed for loss of Atletico. Two defenders doing 12 year old defending mistakes resulting in goals (both mistakes were really bad that you shouldn't expect top level defenders to make)  and muller missing a pen. None of that is down to pep and its personal mistakes which made them lose this tie. But yeh, like paulC said, they did lack a bit of killer instinct at times.

Add in their two main attackers coming out of their prime who were top 3 in their positions and really difficult to replace. It really isnt that bad

Great tie this semi-final was

Edited by gharperr

Guest av1
1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Perhaps a bit unlucky over both legs but lacked the killer instinct. They had the chances.  

Apologies for cherry picking your post Paul, but i think Bayern have lost a little bit of their killer instinct as a direct result of Pep's style of play. They seem to have lost a bit of urgency.

Atletico deserve a lot of credit. Their team is very good. Griezmann is one of the best all around players in the world, and Godin is certainly one of the best, if not the best center back in the world right now. Their system works very well and is hard to beat. Guardiola is losing to the world's best teams which is no shame. A lot of times those matches are just a toss up. Losing to Barca, Real, and Atletico in the semis is understandable. If Guardiola was being beat by the Wolfsburgs, Portos, or any smaller, but still good clubs, then it would be more of a concern. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

trust me im not the only one that thinks Guardiola will flop in England ;)

I have a feeling he'll struggle. If he has a bad start he'll be under pressure he's not had before.

He's done ok-very well at his previous jobs but that's because he's been at enourmous clubs, with huge pools of cash, deep quality squads and uncompetitive leagues. He'll have more of a challenge in England and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on because for me, I don't buy into him being one of the best in the world. He might turn out to be. But having success at Bayern and Barcelona isn't really a good indicator of someones ability. I think Phil Brown could do a similar job at those clubs.

Â