Pep Guardiola

Guest av1

Mild success? Moderate success? Some success?

Is there some set in stone benchmark that measures the success or failure of a manager?

The black and white world of Woodytom :D

Edited by Stevo985

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Mild success? Moderate success? Some success?

Those, imo, are the words of somebody struggling to justify a point.

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is there some set in stone benchmark that measures the success or failure of a manager?

Yes, the correlation between the potential of the club to the actual achievement of the club.

6 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Those, imo, are the words of somebody struggling to justify a point.

My point is Pep Guardiola is not a failure.

I can't believe I actually HAVE to justify that point :D

Look at what he's won in 7 years of management. There's your justification.

Edited by Stevo985

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

For bayern Munich?

After all, that's where people are saying he's failed.

Believe it or not, they're not.

And it's a trophy every 31 games for Bayern. Shocking stuff.

3 hours ago, gharperr said:

your criteria of progressing under pep all comes to aggregate of 3 two-legged ties against the best teams in the world (only looking at direct results). You dont think thats way too small of a sample size?

well the "best manager in the world" taking over the best team in the world at the time really should be a no-brainer for success instead of Champions League humiliation

• Like 1

They had won the champions league once in  12 years Zatman. Its not like the Ajax or the Bayern side of the 70s that dominated the competition for a number of years. 

3 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

"Best manager in the World" "Best Team in the World" and "Champions League humiliation"?

That's quite a number of exaggerations isn't it?

you dont think the reigning European champions losing 4-0 at home in a semi-final is a Champions League humiliation?

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

you dont think the reigning European champions losing 4-0 at home in a semi-final is a Champions League humiliation?

In isolation, possibly. As a comment on their whole Champions League performances under Pep. No chance.

16 hours ago, Woodytom said:

sure theyl have been expecting to reach the final, if not, win it.

No, what they will be doing is looking at the performance and not the result. See how they should have won it, were the better side, One of the only teams who opened Atletico up. And realise two individual basic defending mistakes and muller missing a pen is NOT peps fault. Unless he told cb's to show players inside + onto their stronger foot   +   decide to bomb forward after losing the ball to leave a shit ton of space in behind + told muller to kick it at the keeper. 

@ zatman jfc, he had one bad semi-final which he admitted he got it all horribly wrong. I see some shocking displays under fergie at united, doesnt mean hes not the greatest manager of all time.

Losing to barca away  and beating them at home isnt really that bad is it. With Quite a few of your decent players injured

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

Watching Pep's Barca made me fundamentally change my own views on how football should be played. He can't be a complete loser, I'd say. 

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

I do think he has a lot to prove at City to be ranked as a great manager. The way Klopp has transformed Liverpool shows what a good manager he is. 

They are 8th in the League...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

They are 8th in the League...

Don't matter the league position will improve next season. If they win the Europa League thats a major achievement in his first season there,

Â