Desire and attitude

villanwesty88

I was much more disappointed with today's performance than I have been for a while. I think it was probably because we had very decent spells against a top side and it leaves me feeling frustrated because I know this squad does have the ability to have more points on the table. 

What really got to me today was the desire of some of the players. Watching back on MOTD the second goal should never have been as easy as that - we had 4 guys behind the ball and then it ended up being 4 v 1. Veretout and Sanchez were far too casual. 

I think all any of us want and can ask for is 100% commitment throughout the entirety of the game. I want to see players give everything and not be afraid to get stuck in. I know Hutton makes errors but I feel like he actually tries. Gestede was far too lethargic today and most of the times I've seen him play he has been the same. I feel sorry for the players who do give it everything because it only takes a few players to make us extremely vulnerable at this level. 

In any line of work I've always put attitude over ability - I'm lucky enough to employ a few guys in my small business. Attitude is always paramount importance to me and commitment to the cause. I actually think it is easier to improve ability than attitude which is why it is concerning and not just because of relegation looming, but because this kind of attitude won't give us a chance of bouncing back if/when the inevitable happens.

I think some drastic decisions need to made and this needs pointing out to those that are clearly not giving it their all. I'd much rather play Lyden and some of the other youth players who would LOVE to be playing than some of current players. I look through the squad and I do think we can put out a team with more desire and a better attitude than we currently have but it will mean Mr Garde and co will have to shake up that dressing room and drop some of the current players. 

Which players do you think have the right attitude and desire in this squad? 

• Like 2

These are the players that I think have the right attitude and I'd only pick from these (not including long term injured or unproven). 

Guzan
Bunn

Richards
Okore
Clark
Lescott
Hutton

Bacuna
Gana
Sinclair
Westwood
Veretout
Gardner (obviously had a lot of injuries so hard to rely on him)
Gil
Grealish (despite his off the field antics I still think he would give his all and is sorting this out)

Ayew 
Traore
Kozak (tough to come back from big injuries but I'd play him over Gestede)

I think the rest have big question marks over their commitment and desire. Put it down to them being new players or struggling with home sickness or whatever, the bottom line is right now they are not showing they give a damn. So if only the above was available it clearly leaves us short notably in central midfield and up front. If we could sign two players it would be to address those positions for me. I'd give the likes of Lyden a chance in the squad more too. Those that don't want to be here can sod off. If we are going down let us at least see some fight! 

Edited by villanwesty88

4 hours ago, villanwesty88 said:

These are the players that I think have the right attitude and I'd only pick from these (not including long term injured or unproven). 

Guzan
Bunn

Richards
Okore
Clark
Lescott
Hutton

Bacuna
Gana
Sinclair
Westwood
Veretout
Gardner (obviously had a lot of injuries so hard to rely on him)
Gil
Grealish (despite his off the field antics I still think he would give his all and is sorting this out)

Ayew 
Traore
Kozak (tough to come back from big injuries but I'd play him over Gestede)

I think the rest have big question marks over their commitment and desire. Put it down to them being new players or struggling with home sickness or whatever, the bottom line is right now they are not showing they give a damn. So if only the above was available it clearly leaves us short notably in central midfield and up front. If we could sign two players it would be to address those positions for me. I'd give the likes of Lyden a chance in the squad more too. Those that don't want to be here can sod off. If we are going down let us at least see some fight! 

Is it just me or is this basically our squad anyway? Minus Gestede, Gabby and Richardson who are useless rather than lack desire. So you'd pick from pretty much the squad we have...

You're right about lack of desire and attitude though. I just think you can add Lescott (desire's gone at this stage of career), Bacuna (doesn't seem to take it seriously) Hutton (attitude is too agressive, desire is there in buckets), Clark (attitude/confidence), Gana (desire doesn't seem there, no extra runs, no passion, no voice, meek), Sinclair (attitude right, probably similar to Lescott regarding desire, especially with new kid), Grealish (attitude clearly, thinks he's made it) and Traore (not yet a team player).

Doesn't mean the above can't be ok/ good players, just means currently they're not showing desire to win balls or the right attitude for the situation we're in. That's very different to ability though. 

• Like 1

Yeah some players just dont give a shit.. and this was confirmed by Richards... they will just try get a move once we go down.

Westwood (cant believe im saying this) needs to come in to the side...I still like the look of Gueye.. but Sanchez has just been abysmal. Too slow and makes too many errors.

I want to see Lyden get a run.. get Adama starting games. I think Gueye has to be the one that sits in front of the defenders and doesnt get forward.. he doesnt have much quality going forward.. get Westwood and Lyden to run around and close space. Garde said he liked Lydens energy.. so thats enough for me. The rest of the squad didnt have any.

Hutton should never play again. Richards to RB. Okore and Lescott/Clark in the middle till we sign a new CB in January. Need 2 strikers in January. Although i think it will far too late by then.

If Garde thinks Gestede is better than Kozak... well.. thatll do me. Gestede is a lazy farker who just wants a free header in the box to score.

If we actually had any other option, I'd want to see Sanchez and Veretout dropped for that second goal alone, they should be ashamed. But who else do we play?

Westwood can come in, so I'd probably just drop Sanchez.

Edited by Davkaus

Given the magnitude of the game I really expected us to come out all guns blazing, pressing Arsenal and closing them down. We did the opposite though. It is becoming a regular occurrence as we started poorly against Everton and Southampton and were 3-0 down in no time in one and could easily have been the same in the other.

The least you expect is for players to be giving their all but this lot don’t even do that. They got going for 15 minutes in the second half yesterday but the game was lost and Arsenal never got out of second gear in winning. 

I have always said I will forgive a lack of ability but a lack of effort is unforgivable and many of this mob are at times giving nowhere near 100% and are simply not fit to wear our shirt.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I think Sanchez had no desire if I was on a loosing side there is no way I wouls go down and waste time like he did with what? 6 mins to go? Baby ,guttless bunch of loosers, Ayew gives his all sometimes to selfish, verretout I think is doing his all for the manager not the club, gana is nothing like he was start of season lost his desire  and looks disinterested, okore, hutton,richards all have desire and a good attitude ,sinclair for all the haters has done well inmo last games, gil is the perfect professional after all the crap this club had put him through keeps turning up same as hutton really.   The rest are just here to pick a wage

Our squad lacks some serious grafters and hard workers, i would take hard work over ability any day. Leicester are a prime example, they all work hard for each other and have a fantastic attitude.

A part of me wants us to be relegated, and get rid of the Gabby's and co then bring some energetic, hard working players that know the championship and have a very strong desire to play for us. We could get some real quality from that league because we would the largest club in that league. 

I would also love if we made our pitch smaller so we could play at a higher tempo and really make things difficult for the opposition.

Edited by Reivax_Villa
  • Like 1

The desire is simply not there, it's a combination of players and manager. Of that combination it's the players who need to take most of the 'weight', but the manager is still there to get into their heads and get the best out of them, often, new managers get this sort of response instantly, Garde simply hasn't. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Our squad lacks some serious grafters and hard workers, i would take hard work over ability any day. Leicester are a prime example, they all work hard for each other and have a fantastic attitude.

A part of me wants us to be relegated, and get rid of the Gabby's and co then bring some energetic, hard working players that know the championship and have a very strong desire to play for us. We could get some real quality from that league because we would the largest club in that league. 

I would also love if we made our pitch smaller so we could play at a higher tempo and really make things difficult for the opposition.

Shame we sold some youngsters such as johnsson ,graham , carrutharers that eiuld make a difference for us there

Desire, hmmm, well I don't think a desire to play is in question but the desire to push past low confidence....I don't think we have many of those sorts of players.

The only ones I watch and think, yes, ultimate pro who gives it all both by trying hard and taking responsibility are -

Guzan, he;s just not as good as we'd hoped he'd be.
Hutton
Gueye
Richards
Lescott
Ayew

Honourable mentions -

Bacuna, does work hard he just doesn't play in a comfortable position
Gil, moves around and tries to get into moves/make space for others. Realises he's too lightweight but still always wants the ball in tight spots.
Clark, tries hard but hasn't improved in certain aspects which are tactical and not physical.
Veretout - Looks like he wants the ball, wants someone to make a run and is willing to make space. Fitter and better than he was. Clearly working at it.

Not up to it - 

Grealish - Might be a Villa fan but off the field he's not giving 100% and on the field he prefers to have the ball than make space for others.
Gabby - Might run a lot but he doesn't do the simple things and that's criminal laziness
Sinclair - Might be fast but lazy as they come going forward and stops far too often instead of powering on and testing a defender. Might be helpful in defence but he's a forward!
Westwood - Doesn't believe in himself enough and so looks inhibited. I like him as a player but it's been a tough few years for him and it shows in his determination.
Richardson - Might look likes he's trying but constantly out of position in defence because he's too lazy to think about positioning or getting back.
Sanchez - If you're not going to be fit (mentally and physically) then don't play. Doesn't concentrate for 90 mins and constantly under hits passes, laziness not ability.
N'zog - Mentally weak, physically underwhelming. Awful attitude.

The others I don't think I can judge having not seen enough of their body language and match day attitude.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

16 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The desire is simply not there, it's a combination of players and manager. Of that combination it's the players who need to take most of the 'weight', but the manager is still there to get into their heads and get the best out of them, often, new managers get this sort of response instantly, Garde simply hasn't. 

The players have not responded to him, and they won't, if we get relegated we need a British manager that knows the championship inside out. Garde came to this club at the wrong time in his career.  

14 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Shame we sold some youngsters such as johnsson ,graham , carrutharers that eiuld make a difference for us there

Agree, i am most disappointed in losing Graham, he would have been useful

I dont think the players dont care but some of them crumble when go a goal down

said in other thread only Hutton and Ayew really wanted to get on the ball in Arsenal half yesterday and usually our best attacking option except them is Amavi and Richards. For me this is a shit squad even worse than Lambert 1st season

Sinclair has desire and the right attitude? The bloke struggles to win a 70/30...

And I know it's not necessarily a measuring stick but how many of squad would people trust going in to a 50/50? I'm Richards, Clark and Hutton, that's about it, and the last two I only trust to at least kick something

There have been at least two that were bottled off the top of my head that directly lead to us losing a game, Guzan vs Leicester and Amavi vs the baggies

The players have not responded to him, and they won't, if we get relegated we need a British manager that knows the championship inside out. Garde came to this club at the wrong time in his career.  

1413214053067_wps_52_Ricky_Tomlinson_as_Mike_B.jpg

4-4-2?

Â