The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 hour ago, Adbo9 said:

I personally think weve gone backwards under Remi.  I understand the arguments that the squad isnt good, and it isnt Remis team, but a manager worth his salt should be coming in, and at least trying to set us up so were hard to beat at least, even if it is terrible to watch.................. that way, ya mite grind a couple results out, hit a patch of form and off you go........... but no, he keeps playing to our weaknesses every week, trying to play expansive with fullbacks pushing on and floating midfield players............ **** lunacy if ya ask me........... Garde is **** shit, disastrous appointment.  No matter what anyone says, no matter what goes on as far as money and the board, this clown will have his name over the door as the manager that relegated us.............. for that alone hes a complete moron.   Anyone who consistently picks Veretout, Gil etc...... needs there head shaking.......... weak as piss, physically and mentally............. thats just to name two.  Cant see the love in with Garde, i really cant.   Ive never disliked a manager at Villa ever, even if theyve been bad, but this bloke, I think hes a right bellend

I disagree entirely....but i 'liked' it for the last sentence :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Personally I think we have improved under Garde in the way we approach the game. We're just so toothless upfront I don't think any manager could do any better. We needed to sign a striker in January. 

I'd like Garde to be given a season and a transfer window in the Championship. I'd much rather that than someone like Bruce coming in.

If Garde goes I'd probably get in Hughton. 

happy with the 17 goals conceded in 5 games then?

The team is worse as it has ever been under anyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomaspg said:

i couldnt agree less.

Set us up to be hard to beat with what? we tried playing with 5 defenders and we still shipped in 4-5 goals, we could play with seven but still get punished. there is absolutley nothing Garde can do about that, there simply isnt any quality there.

Who would you like to see instead of veretout and gil? if you havent noticed we dont really have any other options.

its like saying we should play someone upfront who can score goals, but ignoring the fact that we only have gestede and gabby to rely on.

No, Cant aggree, say what you want about all our players - the majority are internationals............ a manager worth his salt should be able to get a tune out of them, at least more than he has done so far.   Love or Hate Richards, Lescott, Hutton, Cissokho, Clark etc........ theyre all current or recent internationals, two of them played in a title winning back 4............. surely he could come up with something...................... the midfield infront they way he sets them up, they give the defence **** all in terms of protection.   Bunch of pricks, the lot of em - and sorry, Garde has been a disaster.   Totally pointless appointment

Garde has just been a disaster all around, for a man who was meant to make us more solid we are actually even worse at the back. His faith in some players means he doesnt know they are shit or he doesnt have a backbone e.g. Ayew should have been hauled off after 20 minutes yesterday he was that bad

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Garde has just been a disaster all around, for a man who was meant to make us more solid we are actually even worse at the back. His faith in some players means he doesnt know they are shit or he doesnt have a backbone e.g. Ayew should have been hauled off after 20 minutes yesterday he was that bad

I don't think you can criticise someone for a scenario that a manager may do once or twice in their career.

You can criticise Garde for many things, but lets at least be sensible.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

Ayew performance was so bad that he would be absolute slaughtered if his name was Gabby, one of worst performances from a Villa player ever and that is saying something. Not like he has been playing brilliant as he has let Remi down now a few times

His resources are limited, the players he has to pick from range from mediocre to washed up oldskool players out for one last payday. But surely we should be able to see some improvements?

17 minutes ago, AndyC said:

No, of course not. The team is shot to bits of confidence, individual errors are costing us, there's no belief, and you can see all the players are in a negative place mentally. However, as I said, our approach play is better, which I think is an achievement given the state of our squad.  We can't just keep pointing our fingers at the manager for how bad we are, it obviously runs a bit deeper than that. 

I do see positives with Garde, he hasn't had the impact I would have liked for sure, but I'd like to see him assemble his team. For whatever reason I trust him as a manager. 

Edited by PieFacE

I said earlier in the season that I didn't expect that Remi to keep us up, but that my opinion would depend on the manner of our relegation. If we went with a fight and were unlucky, then I could have seen some hope for next season. However, we have gone without a fight and without as much as a whimper. So on that note, it is hard to defend Remi, unless something dramatic changes in the next 9 games and we enjoy a massive turnaround in form it would be hard to justify keeping him in the role.

However, Remi should not be the only one leaving this club on the back of this season. A lot of those senior pro's should be dispatched as soon as possible. A lot of them have been a disgrace this season, and should not have gone without a fight. Under Houllier we had divisions in the squad, but the players came together to put them to one side and fought to keep us in the division. This current batch do not deserve the label "Professional", they are an embarrasment to the club, themselves and the profession.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

20 conceded in the last 9 sounds better.

This is all a bit selective - last 5 games, last 9 games: could it be these numbers are being chosen because they present the strongest case on either side? :o

Why not just look at Garde's overall record? In 22 league and cup games he has managed Villa have conceded 38 goals, 1,7 per match, which is not only pretty shocking, but also only a whisker worse than was achieved (if that's the right word) under Sherwood (1.8 per match).

So anyone who tries to convince me things have got better under Garde should be wary of using the defensive statistics.

23 minutes ago, AndyC said:

His resources are limited, the players he has to pick from range from mediocre to washed up oldskool players out for one last payday. But surely we should be able to see some improvements?

So between mediocre and washed up, where the hell do you expect our "improvements" to be?

My only real criticism of Garde as a manager is that we don't look like scoring at all.  I think he could possibly set out the team more offensively to try and score more - but then, our strikers are pretty garbage (apart from Gestede in the air, but no wingers etc).

The defence is the most baffling thing I've ever witnessed - it simply cannot be down to the manager.  As a collective, they are terrible.  I'm not even sure I can think of one thing that any of them does particularly well and that's a huge worry.

15 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

This is all a bit selective - last 5 games, last 9 games: could it be these numbers are being chosen because they present the strongest case on either side? :o

Yeah, that was my point :P

• Like 1

Can people really not just see he is going through the motions. Under him I have seen some of the most half arsed individual performances ever in a VIlla shirt. Has he pulled them up about it? Has he done anything?

Richards against Everton

Lescott against Leicester.

Gabby against Citeh

Ayew against Spurs.

Some of the most disgusting individual performances of all time, on Remi's watch. Has he done anything about it? Does it look livid? Does he even look bothered? No.

Looking at the January window, I have little doubt the board played their part but looking at it now...did Remi really try and get anybody in?

He's just here for the pay off, he isn't trying anything new, daring, revolutionary, he isn't upsetting the apple cart.

He can **** off.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Can people really not just see he is going through the motions. Under him I have seen some of the most half arsed individual performances ever in a VIlla shirt. Has he pulled them up about it? Has he done anything?

Richards against Everton

Lescott against Leicester.

Gabby against Citeh

Ayew against Spurs.

Some of the most disgusting individual performances of all time, on Remi's watch. Has he done anything about it? Does it look livid? Does he even look bothered? No.

Looking at the January window, I have little doubt the board played their part but looking at it now...did Remi really try and get anybody in?

He's just here for the pay off, he isn't trying anything new, daring, revolutionary, he isn't upsetting the apple cart.

He can **** off.

At various times all of those, with the exception of Ayew as the performance you note was yesterday, have been dropped. Some more than once. Gabby was basically cast out for a few months almost immediately once Garde arrived. Just because the managers demeanour isn't showy doesn't mean he's unmoved by the situation. Whenever I've seen him talk, he often seems like he's seething but aware he needs to keep his cool, and also careful with his words. We already know he's a stern bloke, he showed that with Grealish.

What do you expect a manager to do about getting a player in? We tried to sign players. They didn't happen - one was blocked by the authorities, one fell through at the last minute, another we wouldn't pay for. Garde was evidently livid about it in a couple of interviews immediately after January and there was a lot of paper talk about him basically walking in the immediate aftermath.

I get that people don't like the man, and I can understand it to an extent, but I don't think we need to start stretching the truth, or simply making things up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

<moaning stuff>

I appreciate the vitriol, but you're hardly going to sack off your most experienced players when in a relegation battle (now defeated).  Lescott, Richards and (to a lesser extent) Gabby are the most experienced players we have.

They are the ones making the errors, not Garde.

(FWIW, he didn't drop Lescott after 1-1 Leicester - we then drew 0-0 vs the Baggies.  Not sure dropping would've gained that result)

1 hour ago, AndyC said:

Yes, everybody who wants to keep Garde just LOVES seeing us seeing us concede so many goals. It just makes us SO happy.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bobzy said:

My only real criticism of Garde as a manager is that we don't look like scoring at all.  

To be fair, given he is a football manager, that is a pretty devastating and comprehensive criticism! :ph34r:

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

To be fair, given he is a football manager, that is a pretty devastating and comprehensive criticism! :ph34r:

On the face of it, is.

But then you consider the squad. And the criticism has to become more nuanced.

Because otherwise it's like asking someone to cut down a tree with a spoon, and criticising him when he's still stood there next week, with the tree stood next to him still. You've given him a tool, and it's got similarities to the tool you need to do the job, and it will do the job, eventually, but not very well. It'd be churlish to throw him under the bus for failing in that circumstance.

With Aston Villa, you can actually extrapolate the strained metaphor, by saying the man with the spoon is stood in a bog, with a firing squad behind him, the tree keeps moving and someone keeps stealing the spoon.

• Like 1

Â