The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. I don't think garde is doing a great job, and there are some things he's done that I haven't agreed with.

But on the whole, his team selections and lineups have agreed with what I would play, and in fact with what most people would play if you look at the pre match threads. He's also made some big positional changes that lots of us were calling for (dropping Guzan, moving Richards to RB, bringing Cissokho back to drop Richardson etc)

I think the majority of those sorts of decisions he makes are the right ones. We just don't have the personnel to make it work.

Do I think another manager could have gotten more out of the squad? Probably. But I couldn't tell you who that manager is. I certainly don't think Allardyce or Pulis or Pearson would have definitely gotten more. 

Some of Garde's poor and costly decisions:

Persisting with Gestede, Ayew and Veretout as our main attacking threat for so long.

Excluding Kozak then doing a u turn after finally giving him a chance.

Refusing to use Traore other than as a late substitute.

Excluding Agbonlahor and N'Zogbia when they could have benefited us.

Using Gil mainly as a substitute until not long ago.

Not trying Jerrell Sellars when we desperately needed a striker and he was scoring and deserved a chance.

Our midfield and striking options are not the greatest and it was imperative that any manager we got in got the balance right. I don't think Garde did. 

He has made some good decisions but they took him a long time to make. More than anything  it's the psychological and motivational side which lets him down. For me it's obvious Allardyce or Pulis would have done a better job and more than likely kept us up.

2 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Persisting with Gestede, Ayew and Veretout as our main attacking threat for so long.

We had no other options - Gabby was injured/disinterested, Kozak not fit and did you really want Sinclair?

Fair enough to both Kozak (who proved his fitness) and for Garde to select him. Kozak didn't pull up any trees and is yet again injured.

Has suffered numerous niggly injuries and never truly match fit, yet again he's currently injured

Gabby was 'injured' and chose to seek treatment away from the club and was believed to be a negative influence in the dressing room. As for N'Zogbia, was given two chances but preferred to take out random girls from Twitter to dinner rather than put in the effort.

Maybe Gil isn't the best of trainers (think this was hinted at in the old regime). Perhaps Garde has made him train harder and then gave him chance.

Not trying Jerrell Sellars when we desperately needed a striker and he was scoring and deserved a chance.

We cannot pin our hopes on a prospect and Garde was told he'd be backed in the January window to bring in new players (the result is another matter). To be fair to Garde, he's recently selected Lyden, Davis and Green (although only Lyden has graced the pitch) from the youth set-up

Our midfield and striking options are not the greatest and it was imperative that any manager we got in got the balance right. I don't think Garde did. 

He has made some good decisions but they took him a long time to make. More than anything  it's the psychological and motivational side which lets him down. For me it's obvious Allardyce or Pulis would have done a better job and more than likely kept us up.

• Like 4

I really hope he isn't here for next season. 

He is dreadful and was another terrible appointment by this regime. 

Problem is I don't have any faith at all in the board to ever make a decent appointment. 

We are ****.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

1) Persisting with Gestede, Ayew and Veretout as our main attacking threat for so long.

2) Excluding Kozak then doing a u turn after finally giving him a chance.

3) Refusing to use Traore other than as a late substitute.

4) Excluding Agbonlahor and N'Zogbia when they could have benefited us.

5) Using Gil mainly as a substitute until not long ago.

1) Ayew is our best player. Veretout has been our best midfielder. Gestede is crap but we don't exactly have many other options. He brought in Kozak as a last resort. he's also used Gabby, Gil, Sinclair, N'Zogbia at various times. Basically he's used all his options, he persists with the best 3, even though they're the best of a bad bunch.

2) See above. That's a odd way to put it. you could say he gave Kozak a chance when everyone else had excluded him. Regardless, Kozak hardly pulled up trees. He did well in one game, garde carried on playing him and then he's been injured.

3) He's given Traore plenty of minutes, with limited success. But this would be your most valid point. I woudl have liked to have seen Adama more, but can understand why he wasn't used as much as we'd like.

4) Horrendously awful argument. N'Zogbia is the worst player in the squad. Gabby has been injured. Now he's fit he's been put into the team (ahead of Gestede, contradicting your first point), and has proved that he's quite shit too.

5) Gil has started 12 of Garde's 16 league games. Including his first 3. So this point is nonsense.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

For me it's obvious Allardyce or Pulis would have done a better job and more than likely kept us up.

Neither of whom were available when we sacked Sherwood so are you suggesting we should have yet again paid millions of pounds in compensation to either the Baggies or Sunderland ?

Mike, I love your posts, it's posts like these that keep putting wind in this eternally recycled thread. Please keep them coming.

Incidentally I disagree with every word.

• Like 4

On 2/28/2016 at 12:00, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not saying it should be 'pushed aside'. Getting the most out of Benteke is basically the only thing I give Sherwood credit for. 

Nevertheless, it can't be ignored that he's a much, much, much better player than any striker currently at the club. When Sherwood didn't have Benteke, we couldn't score and we were shite. 

he seemed to get a glimmer out of Grealish too.

ps  was that him or just coincidence, my opinions have been drained.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

he seemed to get a glimmer out of Grealish too.

Definitely, and the match at Leicester this season where Grealish and Gil both scored showed what might have been if they'd been given a run together.  But no, he made his subs, and when we lost, rather than admitting it might have been something to do with his substitutions he decided to rip the side apart week after week.   I still wonder to this day just how our season would have turned out if he'd brought a midfielder on.  Sherwood was probably always an accident waiting to happen though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Definitely, and the match at Leicester this season where Grealish and Gil both scored showed what might have been if they'd been given a run together.  But no, he made his subs, and when we lost, rather than admitting it might have been something to do with his substitutions he decided to rip the side apart week after week.   I still wonder to this day just how our season would have turned out if he'd brought a midfielder on.  Sherwood was probably always an accident waiting to happen though.

I can't argue.....but there is so much at B6 i could say that about.....its a mess.

I am finding it difficult to appraise anything about us right now, because there is so much wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

If he walks due to being unhappy with the board and Middlesbrough fail to reach promotion, how would you guys feel about Aitor Karanka? Did well last season and also this season. Would have us contesting for promotion (well hopefully).

We could have Mourinho or Guardiola and they couldn't do a thing under the current regime and the current playing staff.

I like Karanka, he's certainly cut his teeth well in the Championship - but no doubt, he'd be sold a pup by Tom Fox and told he'd be backed before being financially hamstrung and left out in the rain.

Â