The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't think anything he said in that press conference was a revelation nor was it particularly damning.  We are 3rd in the injury table.  Saying you don't have too much choice in how you change the remaining team is a statement of fact rather than an indictment of what's left.

Gabby, Grealish,Sanchez and Gestede should be back this weekend

There are at least 7 reasons why, IMO, we should stick with Remi if he is willing to stay.  (I have a suspicion he will not be)

1) He's better than Sherwood.  (Yes, it's not saying much but it's true and it impacts my evaluation)

2) He has gotten a much better organized defense with no change in personnel.

3) I do think he has gotten a very raw deal from the board, and from the FA in terms of trying to strengthen a squad that was clearly and desperately in need of strengthening.  

4) He stopped playing those who gave weak effort or were clearly liabilities whenever and wherever the roster of eligible players would permit.

5) He has made us harder to beat. (even if one could argue that we are easier to beat badly.)

6) In his interviews, he frankly but not brutally and with personal attacks makes it clear when performances have been not good enough.  (I like the honesty, but I also like the reassurance that he sees what is clearly true.)

7) I think one of our problems (by no means the only, or even the greatest problem) is that we change managers and therefore tactical setups and styles, far too often.  We need a steady hand that moves deliberately (and slowly if necessary) to make improvements.  His reactions, comments, and the changes he has made indicate that he is steady, deliberate, and while he would prefer to move fast, is able to move slowly when necessary.  I fear that meager financial backing will mean that slow progress is the only kind remotely possible.  A man without immense patience will never succeed in the current Aston Villa.  IF he chooses to stay, it will confirm that he has the patience that will be needed.

I do not think that any one of them is sufficient, but in total.... they are strong enough for me to hope he stays.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

he looks and sounds like a man that has given up on survival and he doesnt seem like he happy at all here

Looked about the same as the last 2 months to me.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

he looks and sounds like a man that has given up on survival and he doesnt seem like he happy at all here

It was hardly inspirational, if I'm honest he has always seemed that way to me

I think it's pretty damning when he says he is picking certain players because he has no other options.

To be honest even if he does leave we are stuck with the same problem. Unprofessional players with very limited ability.

As it stands this lot won't stand a chance in the championship in my opinion.

I like the way he carries himself.

In a club that is running its good name into the ground and burning every available bridge through a mix of incompetence and ineptitude that in and of itself is enough for me to want him to stay on.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I think it's pretty damning when he says he is picking certain players because he has no other options.

To be honest even if he does leave we are stuck with the same problem. Unprofessional players with very limited ability.

As it stands this lot won't stand a chance in the championship in my opinion.

As it stands after he has basically said that he doesn't want anything to do with certain players who can't be arsed in training but has to pick them anyway because there is no alternative, then either there is radical change in the summer or he is not expecting to be here next year. By saying what he has said, he is right too IMO, he is saying that the board didn't give him what he asked for in Jan and as a result there are players who he doesn't want near the matchday squad who are in it because of there being no-one else to pick. 

That's both a condemnation of the board and some of the playing staff if you ask me, and as such makes his position here look pretty shaky unless someone on the board has told him he will be backed 100% in the summer to sort this shower of shite out. I have grave doubts as to whether anyone on the board has this level of intelligence.

• Like 1

I cant see him staying tbh even though i would be more than happy to see him stay. I would have thought he insisted on a clause in his contract that allows he him to leave without penalty if we were relegated. What do people think about Tony Pulis ?. He is leaving the baggies in the summer. Give him a decent contract and tell him to sort us out for a few years. I reckon he would get us back straight away if he was allowed the freedom although it wouldnt be pretty. He would jump at the chance as it would be the biggest club he has ever managed, even in the championship. Better than Nigel Pearson in my opinion.   

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Remi Garde has a 16% win ratio.

Which if you ignore the 4 years or so before he got the job would be a condemning statistic. On the other hand if you look at the systematic self destruction through moronic high level management that preceded Garde and created the god awful working conditions he has to operate in, then it means very little. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Remi Garde has a 16% win ratio.

I'm sure even Mourinho/Guardiola will struggle with this lot. If tomorrow we got rid of Garde and got in another manager can't say i'm fussed but equally it's just yet another manager to cover up the real problems which is why i'm sure the club would be delighted if he did leave as they have an excuse to not invest next season whilst the new manager "judges the situation".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, settle villa said:

I cant see him staying tbh even though i would be more than happy to see him stay. I would have thought he insisted on a clause in his contract that allows he him to leave without penalty if we were relegated. What do people think about Tony Pulis ?. He is leaving the baggies in the summer. Give him a decent contract and tell him to sort us out for a few years. I reckon he would get us back straight away if he was allowed the freedom although it wouldnt be pretty. He would jump at the chance as it would be the biggest club he has ever managed, even in the championship. Better than Nigel Pearson in my opinion.   

Please God, no Pulis. I can see anarchy breaking out if he's appointed. The guy sets his teams up to play more negatively than Lambert ever did. Sitting back and inviting pressure hasn't worked for the last few years, so it's not going to change in the championship. 

Having said that, if Remi does walk, it feels like the sort of appointment this board would make.

Give Remi whatever he says he needs to get us back up ASA f'ing P. 

After watching the full interview I can't help but think 2 things.

1. Remi Garde is an honorable man. He takes responsibility for the results but doesn't hide the fact some players aren't 100% committed to fighting for the team. He restated several times that due to injuries there are players in the starting 11 simply because we don't have any one to replace the players. It's truly sad to hear this about our team and club. 

2. He's not afraid to admit the club is in shambles, and the fans negative view of the backroom staff is not unfounded. He basically said the protests are warranted due to the recent history of our club and that although he believes walking out before the game is not good for the team, maybe they should find another way to protest. 

Although I don't think we can reasonably judge his managerial qualities due to the situation he found him self when he came here, it does feel as if he is fighting for the fans. He seems to be on our side in thinking the club needs a complete overhaul. If he walks or is released in the summer, it will be a good indication of our clubs intentions. Will they support his idea that there needs to be a complete overhaul of the playing staff, or will they persist with this disastrous group of players and watch us fall even further down the leagues?

• Like 4

Just listening to Tom Ross' interview with Remi today.

When asked about OTDO74, he said;

"It's a difficult season for anyone who works, follows, or loves Aston Villa. I can respect what the fans want to do; they are not happy, and they have the right to do that. I will stick with what I said previously, that until the last minute we can stay in the league; until the end of the possibility we can be safe, everyone, including the fans, the players, the board, and the manager has to take responsibility. I can't give advice/judge/assess the behaviour of everybody, right now I can only focus on what I can control."

Class.

• Like 4

Â