The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Okore played 45 minutes  and Bunn was in goal for 3 league games at that point so wasnt automatic 1st choice yet

Whether he was "automatic" first choice or not is kind of irrelevant. He's clearly part of our "new" defence which is the defence that has shown improvement.

So, again, you can call it a full strength team, but it was missing 4 of the back 5. (Well, Richards played but not in his best position)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

humble as ever :)

so what were you trying to say ?

Apologies, not sure what came across as arrogant in my post. I take it back whatever it was.

I was talking ABOUT discipline and workrate in those posts.

I wasn't saying that was the only thing he should be judged on. That would be crazy.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Apologies, not sure what came across as arrogant in my post. I take it back whatever it was.

I was talking ABOUT discipline and workrate in those posts.

I wasn't saying that was the only thing he should be judged on. That would be crazy.

it was just the "yes you are"  with no explanation  and I was only joshing so apology not required

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

it was just the "yes you are"  with no explanation  and I was only joshing so apology not required

No worries, I thought your post was a confirmation that you were misinterpreting mine, as opposed to a question as to whether you were or not.

If we're talking workrate and discipline then we have improved.  If we're talking results then we have improved.

BUT ... in the interests of balance and before those who are against Garde as our manager get their knickers in a twist.  I will say that it is hardly a glowing endorsement of any manager if his only accomplishment is being 'better than Tim Sherwood'.  The discussion of whether Garde is the right manager going forward is another, longer discussion.  Whether he's the one to take us back up or whether we'd be best served bringing in someone who has been there and done that in that division.  A guaranteed safe pair of hands for what is uncharted territory for us in this day and age.  I happen to think he is the right man for the job.  But I wouldn't blame him in the slightest if he decided at the end of this season that this place isn't for him.

• Like 2

Villa are such a mess at the moment it's impossible to judge or compare any manager doing this job.

Look at Garde and Sherwood in their previous jobs.

Even Garde's win percentage was better at Lyon. (and that was meant to be second to none)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

If we're talking workrate and discipline then we have improved.  If we're talking results then we have improved.

BUT ... in the interests of balance and before those who are against Garde as our manager get their knickers in a twist.  I will say that it is hardly a glowing endorsement of any manager if his only accomplishment is being 'better than Tim Sherwood'.  The discussion of whether Garde is the right manager going forward is another, longer discussion.  Whether he's the one to take us back up or whether we'd be best served bringing in someone who has been there and done that in that division.  A guaranteed safe pair of hands for what is uncharted territory for us in this day and age.  I happen to think he is the right man for the job.  But I wouldn't blame him in the slightest if he decided at the end of this season that this place isn't for him.

I think that he is better than Tim Sherwood hasn't been established though

( other than the revisionist versions in which Sherwood didn't save us from relegation and take us to a cup final )

though saying that  I'd rather Garde built my football club legacy than Sherwood  ... but given the choice I probably wouldn't have either

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

This all day long.

Is Garde better than Sherwood? For me without question.

Is he the right man to lead us forward. I THINK he is. But I don't know. I can understand those who think he isn't.

I can't understand those who don't think he's an improvement on Sherwood, even though you've rightly pointed out that's hardly a glowing endorsement.

• Like 1

Yep that's fairy nuff @tonyh29.  I think there's almost some common ground in there ;)  I've posted somewhere in this forum about how I will never deny what Sherwood did last season just because I went off him big time this season.  I do think he is uniquely and probably exclusively suited to fire-fighting rescue missions.  He has done 2 to date.  He does seem to have a knack of being a breath of fresh air, where motivation and inspiration are temporarily more important than structure and direction.  Obviously I too would definitely prefer Garde over Sherwood and I think the bigger discussion IS over whether Garde should hang around.  I think he should but if I was him I probably wouldn't.  Either way it's going to be an absolutely massive summer for the club this time around and one which, if they get it wrong, will shape the club's prospects for possibly the next 5 years at the least.

• Like 1

Â