The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

in terms of individual players (in workrate , discipline and performance )  , Sinclair has arguably gone backwards (if that's possible)  , Richardson still doesn't care  , Gabby has barely played but by and large doesn't seem to care  , Gil still cant turn up for more than 20 mins in a game ,Grealish has turned into Luke Moore ,   Okore is still the ever eager headless chicken  , Gana  some positives but he's still incapable of playing 90 mins .... Richards ... nope  ,  so I'm struggling to find a player that has physically stepped up since Garde took over  .. Ayew ? but he was already showing those signs pre-Garde

Ayew, Veretout and Gana have all noticeably stepped up since Garde took over.

The defence in general has been noticeably better over the past couple of months. 

Again, liverpool anomaly aside.

The only place we haven't really improved is up front. But I find it difficult to place that at Garde's feet because of the complete lack of personnel in that department.

I'm not saying these improvements are giant, or good enough.

But they're there. Obviously imo.

Edited by Stevo985

10 goals conceded in last 3 home games is not real improvement when could have been about 15 if Norwich had bottle in front of goal

any improvement is very very very marginal though I dont see it myself, we got more bigger beatings under Garde than we did under previous manager this season who was a bad organiser

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Big beatings like the Liverpool one are great for people who don't support him because you can take those 6 goals and spread them over a larger selection of matches and make those results look worse too.  Throw in a hypothetical 'could have been worse' which translates as 'it wasn't worse' and badda boom you've got an agenda :)

This.

before the 6-0 we'd conceded 3 goals in the past 5 league games. 6 In the past 6 games. Which is a significant improvement.

Depends how you cut it. For me, the improvement since xmas in the defence has been very noticeable. I exclude the Man City game because that wasn't the first choice defence that Garde had established. Far from it.

Like I said, up to the Liverpool performance, the defensive improvement was obvious. I'd consider the Liverpool game an anomaly. Time will tell if it remains as one.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ayew, Veretout and Gana have all noticeably stepped up since Garde took over

after 5 games VT was awash with posters saying Gana was better than Delph  .. I don't think anyone is saying that anymore

Ayew I don't recall getting sent off under Sherwood :)  but as I said he was already stepping up pre Garde

Veretout  ... I think it's subjective on that one , but yeah Ok you can have that one :)

Just now, tonyh29 said:

after 5 games VT was awash with posters saying Gana was better than Delph  .. I don't think anyone is saying that anymore

Ayew I don't recall getting sent off under Sherwood :)  but as I said he was already stepping up pre Garde

Come on Tone, that's cherry picking at it's absolute finest :crylaugh:

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Come on Tone, that's cherry picking at it's absolute finest :crylaugh:

says the man who wont let us judge on results or performances but only workrate and discipline :P

Edited by tonyh29

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Veretout  ... I think it's subjective on that one , but yeah Ok you can have that one :)

I'd still rather have Gana in this team than Delph, FWIW.

36 minutes ago, BOF said:

Big beatings like the Liverpool one are great for people who don't support him because you can take those 6 goals and spread them over a larger selection of matches and make those results look worse too.  Throw in a hypothetical 'could have been worse' which translates as 'it wasn't worse' and badda boom you've got an agenda :)

they are not great at all, I dont want to see Villa get embarrassed at home or for world watching on Sky

I don't think we have improved much since Sherwood was here, the league table backs this up...................... Not all RG's fault, but if we finish bottom and get relegated, It was under his watch and he needs to take his share of the blame as he will have had over 2/3 of the season to work with us, and considering the pedigree he apparently came into the job with then I feel hes not done enough............... I don't think its out of order for the Board to have expected a bit more from him results wise so far..........

1 minute ago, Adbo9 said:

I don't think we have improved much since Sherwood was here, the league table backs this up...................... Not all RG's fault, but if we finish bottom and get relegated, It was under his watch and he needs to take his share of the blame as he will have had over 2/3 of the season to work with us, and considering the pedigree he apparently came into the job with then I feel hes not done enough............... I don't think its out of order for the Board to have expected a bit more from him results wise so far..........

His pedigree being developing a team of young players over a period of time with restricted finances...

...what exactly were your hopes of him this season with such "pedigree"?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

they are not great at all, I dont want to see Villa get embarrassed at home or for world watching on Sky

No-one wants to see it.  But let's not stretch one heavy defeat into 3 heavy defeats because that's what's being attempted by the old '10 goals conceded in 3 home games' trick.  The subtext being that the 3 games were all as bad as each other.  As it stands, in the recent run it's an isolated incident.  We now need to see how they react to it. 

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

No-one wants to see it.  But let's not stretch one heavy defeat into 3 heavy defeats because that's what's being attempted by the old '10 goals conceded in 3 home games' trick.  The subtext being that the 3 games were all as bad as each other.  As it stands, in the recent run it's an isolated incident.  We now need to see how they react to it. 

but a near enough full team got hammered 0-4 at home to City 3 weeks ago so its not like that drubbing to Liverpool was isolated incident

funnily enough people on here called Mignolet and Caballero the worst keepers in Premier League recently and we hardly tested either of them over 2 games :bang:

For what it's worth I actually think we'll react very badly to it, in so far as I think we're going to get a hiding off Stoke.  But I'll wait for it to happen first :-/

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A nearly full team apart from the goalkeeper and 3 of the back four.

Okore played 45 minutes  and Bunn was in goal for 3 league games at that point so wasnt automatic 1st choice yet

except for Clark, SInclair the rest of the outfield players have started in recent weeks, same midfield that "played" vs Liverpool

Edited by Zatman

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not once have I said that

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The trend I've seen from Garde is an increase in discipline and workrate

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

And, again, I stress that we're discussing workrate and discipline here and how the trend has been improvement under Garde

my bad I guess I'm mis-interpreting  what you've said here

Â