The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Garde has got a bunch of nohopers with very little ambition and no desire to do anything else except pick up their wages.

They are STILL nohopers with very little ambition and not much desire to do anything except pick up their wages BUT he has got this lot playing better.What most people cant understand is that Reme Garde is a manager he is not a magician.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

For me 80% of long-term success is down to player recruitment, without the correct balance of players it almost impossible for a manager to be successful.

Currently, for the first time in my memory we don't have a single player who would command a place in even a mid-table side. Almost our entire squad is made up of players who are tailor-made to sit on the bench. In particular, Richards and Lescott are massive massive disappointments

Even if the board thought that relegation was enevitable, Garde should still have been backed in the window to allow him to start to build his own group and bring in players with the right attitude.

We have few resources so it's essential for me that we allow someone the time and space to build something. That won't happen overnight. 

If we are only willing to give each manager a dozen or so games and no opportunity to recruit then we will be sitting in the championship (or worse) for some considerable time

Garde needs to be given time to recruit and build

Indeed, had someone with half a brain been in charge they would have said to Garde to go and sign his captain, the first piece in the new puzzle, someone to build a team around and backed him with whatever cash was necessary to get that player, whatever his position was. Anything to start the process of building HIS team, anything to show him we're serious about wanting to turn this around.

In the end the board essentially didn't back him enough to get the 2 or 3 players he wanted (work permit or no work permit) and that just sends totally the wrong signals, if you believe the rumours he isn't happy about it either. We really need someone with a vision of how to play in the modern era, and for them to be allowed to collect the playing staff needed to get that out on the pitch. If that's not Garde then WTF were we doing giving him the job in the first place?  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm talking more about discipline in how we play, not stuff like Grealish and Ayew. That's a different kind of discipline.

The Lescott thing is a valid point, but we're a shit football team, you can't expect us to be perfect all the time. That's an individual error. 

Garde has improved us in that sense.

I'm almost certain that whilst we're still bottom of that stat, our workrate again has improved in matches over the season. 

I can also see that with my eyes, and not stats.

I've said before, I think these improvements are very marginal, so marginal that it isn't enough for me to confidently say that I want him here next season, despite how much I like him. 

I agree on your first post Dr Pangloss, but does the first post not cut Garde some slack regarding the second post, as he has not been responsible for recruiting any of the players. He has not even had a pre-season to work with installing a philosophy on the squad and a fitness level. Therefore, although I suspect he will go in the summer, I am not writing off his managerial ability on the basis of what he has managed from this rag tag bunch of players. For me, there are enough factors that leave me in two minds on Garde.

Back to the discipline mentioned earlier, Grealish stepped out of line and was punished by Garde, I am bit sure what else people are expecting him to do on the matter. It is up to Grealish to prove himself again, and so far he has not done a lot to prove to his manager that he deserves a place in the team.

Anomaly refers to frequency, not magnitude.
Um.

Anomaly means deviation from the norm - that could happen just once, so I'm not sure what is added by defining it as "frequency".

A deviation can be greater or larger so obviously does include a characteristic of magnitude.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make, through mock hyperbole and a bit of satire, was that the wins against Palace and Norwich look more like the anomalies and the Liverpool result a reversion to norm.

8 hours ago, VillaCas said:

For me 80% of long-term success is down to player recruitment, without the correct balance of players it almost impossible for a manager to be successful.

Currently, for the first time in my memory we don't have a single player who would command a place in even a mid-table side. Almost our entire squad is made up of players who are tailor-made to sit on the bench. In particular, Richards and Lescott are massive massive disappointments

Even if the board thought that relegation was enevitable, Garde should still have been backed in the window to allow him to start to build his own group and bring in players with the right attitude.

We have few resources so it's essential for me that we allow someone the time and space to build something. That won't happen overnight. 

If we are only willing to give each manager a dozen or so games and no opportunity to recruit then we will be sitting in the championship (or worse) for some considerable time

Garde needs to be given time to recruit and build

That first line for me, says it ALL

He needs to be given time, space, money, authority, support.....To Manage.

No one could fix this with a click of the fingers.

Think we are all in agreement that this bunch are the worst group of players at villa in a long time, this is blindingly obvious to everyone and did not happen overnight. Anyone coming into this club had to hit the ground running, therefore first impressions were vital and line's had be to be laid out. If only it was the grealish fall from grace but these so called pro's line up to be the next centre of attention. There was never going to be any money to buy players as lerner wants to cut costs not increase them, the board were looking for a patsy to steer the ship towards a sale and rid themselves of the burdon that has become aston villa. There are no buyers to rescue this club and the present bunch want out, therefore this can only be improved by what happens on the pitch, you get nowhere with excuse's and feeling sorry for yourselves you stand up and make a difference. 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Yes.

Did you have a point of any substance to make?

I thought my point had enough substance, but apparently not.

I said Liverpool was an anomaly (there have been more than one), specifically regarding workrate and discipline. The word anomaly literally says all I need it to say.

The trend I've seen from Garde is an increase in discipline and workrate, whilst still being short of where it should be. I didn't take the Liverpool performance, which was dreadful, to be typical of what we've seen from Garde. I haven't ignored the Liverpool game, as you suggested. Quite the opposite. I've directly addressed it.

Like I said, if you understood the word anomaly, which evidently you do, I'm not sure why there was a need to question my point. I'm still not sure what you were getting at apart from trying to start an argument over nothing.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Worst team we've ever had, all of them, from 'domestic' to 'foreign' buys are shite no hopers. 

I generally disagree with these sort of "worst of" posts because time and circumstance introduce to many variables. That said, I'm 37 now and I can honestly say that this is without doubt the worst Villa side I've ever seen. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I generally disagree with these sort of "worst of" posts because time and circumstance introduce to many variables. That said, I'm 37 now and I can honestly say that this is without doubt the worst Villa side I've ever seen. 

a lot of neutral fans have said to me its worst top flight team they have seen in a very long time, I think Derby, Sunderland and Swindon were this bad

It's not the worst Villa team I have ever seen.....but let me say this.

with the potential resources and training facilities and weighing up the whole infrastructure.....this last 6 years has been as scandalous a case of mismanagement you will ever see.

It is clear that a low level of football nous has been employed and even now the penny hasn't quite dropped.

I do understand that you can't have too many cooks in the kitchen and that Remi probably prefers no other footballing interference.

....but what if Remi fails too.

We need a footballing heavyweight on the board even in a non- executive roll at least.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Um.

Anomaly means deviation from the norm - that could happen just once, so I'm not sure what is added by defining it as "frequency".

A deviation can be greater or larger so obviously does include a characteristic of magnitude.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make, through mock hyperbole and a bit of satire, was that the wins against Palace and Norwich look more like the anomalies and the Liverpool result a reversion to norm.

You're just arguing against yourself now. A 6-0 defeat was a deviation from the norm and happened just the once. It could have been 30-0 and it would still be an anomaly. Hence, frequency. If we lost 6-0 on a few more occasions, it would cease to be an anomaly.

How is it an aversion to the norm? :lol: . How many times have we lost 6-0? Or even lost by more than 2 goals this season? Just once. So it's a load of (oddly wishful thinking) bollox that a 6-0 loss is a reversion to the norm.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, av1 said:

I am 33 and this without a doubt the shittest villa side I have seen. I thought the days when we relied on gudjohsson, mccann and J lloyd samuel were bad. But this bunch wow absolute losers

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You're just arguing against yourself now. A 6-0 defeat was a deviation from the norm and happened just the once. It could have been 30-0 and it would still be an anomaly. Hence, frequency. If we lost 6-0 on a few more occasions, it would cease to be an anomaly.

How is it an aversion to the norm? :lol: . How many times have we lost 6-0? Or even lost by more than 2 goals this season? Just once. So it's a load of (oddly wishful thinking) bollox that a 6-0 loss is a reversion to the norm.

You're forgetting the Everton game ;)

But that doesn't mean that these really awful performances aren't anomalies under Garde.

And, again, I stress that we're discussing workrate and discipline here and how the trend has been improvement under Garde. We're not talking about results in general where obviously the victories are the anomaly in an appalling season, regardless of who the manager was.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You're forgetting the Everton game ;)

But that doesn't mean that these really awful performances aren't anomalies under Garde.

And, again, I stress that we're discussing workrate and discipline here and how the trend has been improvement under Garde. We're not talking about results in general where obviously the victories are the anomaly in an appalling season, regardless of who the manager was.

That's the game I was referring to. Either I forgot to add before the 6-0, or kinda assumed it was implied :lol:  

But yeah I know what you meant, but briny chose to focus on the result instead of the workrate you were referring to. Still couldn't take down that strawman though.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I stress that we're discussing workrate and discipline here  and how the trend has been improvement under Garde

I'm not sure it has to be perfectly honest

Bournemouth away was a hard fought  and ( possibly undeserved ) disciplined win  .. ditto Norwich and Palace

Sunderland at home was an annihilation in everything but the goals for column  ..  ditto Baggies away

However Sunderland away was an embarrassment  and hot on the heels of the Norwich embarrassment was effectively the point at which we were relegated .. ( as were Everton away Wycombe away (and home) , city at home  etc)

So previously to Garde we put in some good workrate and discipline  but didn't get the luck , and we also put in some bad ones    ..so really imo nothing has changed 

in terms of individual players (in workrate , discipline and performance )  , Sinclair has arguably gone backwards (if that's possible)  , Richardson still doesn't care  , Gabby has barely played but by and large doesn't seem to care  , Gil still cant turn up for more than 20 mins in a game ,Grealish has turned into Luke Moore ,   Okore is still the ever eager headless chicken  , Gana  some positives but he's still incapable of playing 90 mins .... Richards ... nope  ,  so I'm struggling to find a player that has physically stepped up since Garde took over  .. Ayew ? but he was already showing those signs pre-Garde

so at the risk of being in the anti Garde camp , I'm struggling  , though I will admit our sideways and  backwards passing has improved

• Like 1

Â