The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I disagree slightly Mark. I think the quality in this squad is terrible. We have a keeper who has no right to be playing in this league. Defenders who consistently make mistakes. Midfield players who are weak and can't do the basics on a consistent basis and forwards who struggle to create for themselves or finish the scraps they're given. 

It's an awful awful squad of players. 

• Like 3

I disagree slightly Mark. I think the quality in this squad is terrible. We have a keeper who has no right to be playing in this league. Defenders who consistently make mistakes. Midfield players who are weak and can't do the basics on a consistent basis and forwards who struggle to create for themselves or finish the scraps they're given. 

Sounds like you disagree massively?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think you are being too critical and it is something we are all guilty off with our own team. I know I am.

Lets compare our squad to other squads and there is no way on this earth that Leicester are three times the team we are yet they have way over 3 times as many points, no way that Bournemouths squad should have 12 more points, West Broms 15, Norwich 11 more, Sunderland 6 more, Watford 17 more. I am not saying we have a good squad of players but we have a squad that had they have been organised better and showed the kind of passion, desire and intensity they have over the last couple of games throughout the season then we'd comfortably be in the mix to be safe.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I'd agree, that those examples are probably true but I do genuinely think this is the worst squad in the league. 

Easily one of the worst keepers in the league, although now he's out. 

And easily the worst attacking unit in the league. 

The defence and midfield are right up there as well. 

The gap may have been closer but I still think we'd be bottom of the league. 

Starting to show he can pick up points in this league on a regular basis so gets a much more fair hearing from me than a week ago. Too late but given he took over in November he can't control/be blamed for all of that.

When you look at it in true Villa fashion we did it too late...him or someone of his ilk should've taken over under Lambert. If he can pick up points with this mob he could've done it and kept us up with Benteke.

Then we'd have had a summer still in the Premier league with a calm and measured approach rather than the scatter gun policy from whoever. It's something to ponder. Probably no FA cup final (not that it mattered anyway) but maybe more long term sustainability rather than the mess we're in now.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Full credit to Remi for getting the players to give their all, getting them organised and have a real go over the last couple of games. I left Villa park tonight feeling disappointed though that we haven't played with the intensity we have the last couple of games more often. Had we have done we'd be in with a real chance of being safe. That is not just a criticizm of Remi by the way. That is a criticism of his predecessor but mostly of the players.

That was top against bottom tonight but it looked nothing like it. The reason they are top and we are bottom is not simply that they have a goalscorer, although that is a massive help, it is that they have been organised and battled all season where as we have only done both on a handful of occasions all season. It won't be a lack of quality that will send us down as I think we have had enough in the squad to at least be well in the mix for safety it will be a lack of effort and a failure to realise that we had to start to really go for it much earlier in the season. It is now too little too late. I do have a hunch though that had Remi been here all season that may well have not been the case. Such a waste.

Mark, You turning in support of him now? And do you feel he is showing enough to slowly convince you he is also capable of bringing us back up if backed by the board? Interested mate as I know you've had your doubts(rightly so by the way) he was the right appointment.

My thoughts to the letter, Mark.

Ability wise there is very very little to choose between a good number of Clubs.

A goalscorer makes a world of difference too though, as does the confidence a back four gets from an on song keeper. When you have neither you have a severe handicapped. Overall, though, you are spot on as regards system, being well drilled, committed, fullnof effort, and the rest. Had we had more of these things wed be in with the pack.

For me the time it has taken Garde is still an issue.......I'm yet to decide whether it reflects more badly on his abilities or things beyond his immediate control. I suspect, optimistically, the latter, which would imply that he himself is doing a decent job. If so, and I hope so, that will bode well for us for the future, even if too late for this year...the one good thing that can come out of this year would be continued improvement under Garde which would be invaluable for next year.

On 03/01/2016 at 20:26, AVTuco said:
1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Full credit to Remi for getting the players to give their all, getting them organised and have a real go over the last couple of games. I left Villa park tonight feeling disappointed though that we haven't played with the intensity we have the last couple of games more often. Had we have done we'd be in with a real chance of being safe. That is not just a criticizm of Remi by the way. That is a criticism of his predecessor but mostly of the players.

That was top against bottom tonight but it looked nothing like it. The reason they are top and we are bottom is not simply that they have a goalscorer, although that is a massive help, it is that they have been organised and battled all season where as we have only done both on a handful of occasions all season. It won't be a lack of quality that will send us down as I think we have had enough in the squad to at least be well in the mix for safety it will be a lack of effort and a failure to realise that we had to start to really go for it much earlier in the season. It is now too little too late. I do have a hunch though that had Remi been here all season that may well have not been the case. Such a waste.

I think the reason for our better performances in the last 2 games has a lot to do with improved fitness. We seem a lot sharper and for longer too, finishing games strongly.

Some are now saying that if we played like this all season we would not be in this position.

but , perhaps it has taken the inexperienced lads this long to get used to the league.

not taking anything away from Remi, but all changes take time, assuming the right methods are employed.

18 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

David Moyes saying the Huth reverse clothesline wasn't a penalty and no-one countering.

Bug eyed Smeagol clearing in the woods!

If he was Villa manager tonight, he probably would've been shouting his balls off swearing blind it was a penalty and cant believe how the ref didn't give it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Some are now saying that if we played like this all season we would not be in this position.

but , perhaps it has taken the inexperienced lads this long to get used to the league.

not taking anything away from Remi, but all changes take time, assuming the right methods are employed.

Agree with you to a degree, however only 4 players who started Sherwood's final game actually started in these last couple of games. Large portion of the players who did start this week, the likes of Bunn, Veretout, Kozak and Cissokho, weren't actually given a proper chance under Sherwood.

38 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

David Moyes saying the Huth reverse clothesline wasn't a penalty and no-one countering.

Bug eyed Smeagol clearing in the woods!

the same Match of the Day who thought the Suarez dive was a certain peno vs us. Safe to say they havent a clue about football

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Given what people like Veretout have said about Sherwood's "methods", I think it's safe to say Garde has definitely helped them settle more than Timmy.

Garde did well today. Kept the same team - which was right - and made the right change at the right time. We had a Plan B, and it worked. I thought we were more likely to win the game after Gestede came on.

Now we have to start playing much better away from home as well. 

Â