The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Who gives a **** about what Sherwood did or didn't do?  He was shite, give or take remi has been equally shite.

Last night he changed it up and did well, long may that continue.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 3

I didn't think Gil was a stand out player last night. If Grealish could sort himself out I'd like to see what he could do at the top of the diamond. 

I thought Gil was plumb average myself. Powderpuff with little end product. I honestly don't rate him at this present moment, but I also am acutely aware that our options are limited.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I didn't think Gil was a stand out player last night. If Grealish could sort himself out I'd like to see what he could do at the top of the diamond. 

I don't think Gil was a stand out either but he was conscientious and tracked back all night - I'm not confident that Grealish would do that. Once you have one player not tracking their runner it spoils the shape of the whole team

In my personal opinion if we'd swapped Grealish for Gil last night we would have lost

I expect Grealish to be an impact sub at best going forward - unless he is sold that is

38 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Pardew?

Basically said the game would have been different if Palace scored after 40 seconds instead of hitting the post (and it would've been), and that they lacked a cutting edge.  However, he was surprised - and hadn't planned for - the hard work of Villa and that we deserved the win.  Said it was remarkable given our recent performances and the players and manager deserve a lot of credit for the game

Pardew after the game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I thought Gil was plumb average myself. Powderpuff with little end product. I honestly don't rate him at this present moment, but I also am acutely aware that our options are limited.

With a 4-4-2 diamond I think Veretout would work at the top, shame we binned Gardner really as I would have played him in the middle of that formation

Part and parcel of the job I imagine.

The press zone after a game is full of reporters who get interviews. They all ask the same question.

It's like film stars who sit in a hotel room all day doing interviews about their new film. I bet 90% of what they say is exactly the same to each one.

Just now, bobzy said:

I've now seen 3 different interviews from him, essentially saying the same thing.

Reckon managers tire of doing all that?

Part and parcel of the game. I guess it's down to the media training they receive, so that it keeps them to a loose script, to avoid managers, and players, getting themselves quoted out of context.

Also means you get very little insight into their actual thoughts a lot of the time.

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

Part and parcel of the game. I guess it's down to the media training they receive, so that it keeps them to a loose script, to avoid managers, and players, getting themselves quoted out of context.

Also means you get very little insight into their actual thoughts a lot of the time.

By the way, love Remi's answer on the BBC site from 2:29 onwards of the video.

Top bloke.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He also said something about not wanting us to go down. "The Premier League would not want to lose a club of this magnitude. I hope they can resolve it."

He's a monumental ring piece, but fair play to him for that.

think he only said that as he has a very good record against us ;) think that might be 1st time we beat one of his sides in the league, cant remember last time we beat Newcastle

Don't think you can dislike the guy to be honest. Seems a likeable character and  genuine when speaking. If we were mid table then he would have my full backing but not so sure he understands the fight required and/or the Championship should the unthinkable happen. Happy to be proved wrong though and should he keep us up then he should win manager of the year! Would be a monumental achievement!!

Edited by ferguson1

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll bite.

Why?

Sounds like the kind of guy who gets off with a dream babe at a party. She gives him the best B**wJ*b he's ever had, then complains that he didn't get his end away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Not to derail the thread too much, but Pardew has almost resembled a decent human being since being at Palace. Completely different character to his Newcastle days, and always seems to speak well of our club.

Back on topic, I think that lacklustre nature of the performance against Wycombe could have worked in our favour. I think Garde wanted to use the game to see which players wanted the fight, hence his team selection against Palace.

Hopefully we can get something against Leicester to build some momentum. Plus, we owe them one! 

I agree, I assume he's just in a happier place as a person. He really seemed pretty sincere about hoping we don't go down as well. 

I can't remember having " had to hold my breath" as long as  I will from now till Saturday.

Absolutely critical that the level of performance, regardless of the result, is up or around last night.

He has to show, the players have to show, that unlike a lower League side raising themselves for the odd FA Cup game, there is genuinely something ' happening'.

I don't question the overall ability of the squad (maybe 15 or so) in as much as I still think they are Premier League ability - or in some cases Championship - and am convinced it is the mental side, commitment, belief, bravery in decisions, and the rest, that is askew.  

Hopefully it is his approach in training paying off, fitness work, some decent tactics, whatever, but last night was a small aign that he may be improving that mental side. Tricky to be sure ,as only days ago there was no evidence of it. Also we weren't tested by conceding, for a change.

A repeat performance straight after, rather than two or three games down the line, would mean a tremendous amount.

Â