The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Bit slow with the subs today imo which was a frequent criticism of previous managers.

Today at 0-1 I would've personally got Gabby and Adama on around the hour mark as Sinclair and Gestede were useless at holding the ball up. I do remember just before Southampton scored we had a good counter attack but messed up as Ayew didn't have enough support.

An o.k point though as the performance was very average. 

And Adama would have been perfect at holding the ball up? Have you watched him at all this season?

11 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

In case you haven't noticed, we are sh##

Our 1st 11 aren't good enough, let alone our substitutes.

We were hanging on from the 1st minute-I'm not sure what game you were watching that makes you think that substitutions could have influenced the result?

players that have played 60 minutes have less in the tank to close down and chase loose balls than fresh players.

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As for managers being judged on substitutions i guess Koeman must be a genius for taking off an injured player to bring on the goal scorer that rescued a point. 

in what way has what I said about making substitutions earlier got any correlation to that shite?

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

players that have played 60 minutes have less in the tank to close down and chase loose balls than fresh players.

in what way has what I said about making substitutions earlier got any correlation to that shite?

Take it easy dude, it wasn't an attack on your posts. I just think there is an over emphasis on managers performance based on their substitutions . Sorry if I offended. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

no offence taken, read like a response to my posts apologies for misinterpreting!

As I say, other than that I'm happy with the influence Remi is having. Did anyone see that defence today limiting Southampton to one goal?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, a m ole said:

no offence taken, read like a response to my posts apologies for misinterpreting!

As I say, other than that I'm happy with the influence Remi is having. Did anyone see that defence today limiting Southampton to one goal?

That was mainly to do with some awful finishing in the first half hour. 

It should have been 1-0 after 2 minutes and 2-0 after about 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Of course after the 2 minute goal went in the scenario that created the second chance after 5 minutes wouldn't have happened. I'd agree we should have been a goal down at least in the first 10 minutes though. I'm sure Southampton players and staff were mouthing WTF for a bit.

14 hours ago, Butterfingers said:

We've played Man City at home, Everton, Southampton away. Ground out 2 draws. that's not the end of the world.

Watford was a disaster & in fairness, Remi shook things up a bit today.

It's just not good enough. Bournemouth go and win away at Chelsea, those sort of results are what we need I'm afraid, yesterday just didn't cut the mustard. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yep, the defence was appalling for the first 30 minutes, could have been 4 down, Lescott been the chief architect with Bacuna and Sanchez also awful. 

14 hours ago, Butterfingers said: We've played Man City at home, Everton, Southampton away. Ground out 2 draws. that's not the end of the world.

Watford was a disaster & in fairness, Remi shook things up a bit today.

It's just not good enough. Bournemouth go and win away at Chelsea, those sort of results are what we need I'm afraid, yesterday just didn't cut the mustard. 

It was ok, I'm judging it on the month rather than the day, a hopefully confidence inspiring draw follow by a good performance vs le arse followed by points vs Newcastle, West Ham, Norwich and Sunderland

Us staying up will depend on the results at the end of the month not these 2 games

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes-I agree that we need wins. I would have settled for 2 points against Man City, Everton & Southampton. The goal was very frustrating to concede it as we did.

We have a poor squad, many of whom hadn't played together before the start of the season. We lost our best 3 players from last season and despite what anyone says, we desperately miss all three.

There is no quick fix to this-No magic wand to be waved. The team have a look of relegation about them-There is no confidence and a tendency to drop heads.when we concede. I see a slight improvement under Remi. If he can get a win under his belt, it may be the springboard that we need to install some confidence.

Just now, Butterfingers said:

Yes-I agree that we need wins. I would have settled for 2 points against Man City, Everton & Southampton. The goal was very frustrating to concede it as we did.

We have a poor squad, many of whom hadn't played together before the start of the season. We lost our best 3 players from last season and despite what anyone says, we desperately miss all three.

There is no quick fix to this-No magic wand to be waved. The team have a look of relegation about them-There is no confidence and a tendency to drop heads.when we concede. I see a slight improvement under Remi. If he can get a win under his belt, it may be the springboard that we need to install some confidence.

I'm not so sure about the improvements. I think we look a little bit more organised, slightly more solid, but only slightly. The two points we've picked up under him are due in no short part to a hell of a lot of luck. City were just hopeless in front of goal, missing several easy chances and Southampton did the same in the first half an hour. 

What worries me about Garde is how poor we tend to start matches, we come out looking very nervous, unable to play with the ball and utterly hopeless at the back. All opponents need to do is jump on us and we will gift them chances. It's poor stuff. 

11 hours ago, a m ole said:

The time to get exited is when we limit teams to chances. Southampton limited themselves to one goal. 

Letting teams have 23 attempts at goal is alarming, IMO of course! 

Roll on Arsenal.

32 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm not so sure about the improvements. I think we look a little bit more organised, slightly more solid, but only slightly. The two points we've picked up under him are due in no short part to a hell of a lot of luck. City were just hopeless in front of goal, missing several easy chances and Southampton did the same in the first half an hour. 

What worries me about Garde is how poor we tend to start matches, we come out looking very nervous, unable to play with the ball and utterly hopeless at the back. All opponents need to do is jump on us and we will gift them chances. It's poor stuff. 

Got to agree with this.

I think the main reason Garde has picked up 2 points instead of 0 is because the opposition have missed very easy chances. 

Not really something we can rely on in order to survive. 

I don't really blame Garde, I don't think anyone could sort this mess out. 

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Got to agree with this.

I think the main reason Garde has picked up 2 points instead of 0 is because the opposition have missed very easy chances. 

Not really something we can rely on in order to survive. 

I don't really blame Garde, I don't think anyone could sort this mess out. 

Not even Garry Neville with Stefan & Stevo as assistants? :D

Edited by Kingman

Remi needs backing in January.  If he's struggling to get the team playing how he wants, then the club has to back him. Thing is there aren't too many players who can justify staying in the team, but I can't see us backing the manager to the degree which is needed. It's almost a case of "who's shittist " and working down the list in that order. 

Confidence is extremely low, no wonder we start games looking nervous. The result and performance after the first 30 mins against Southampton will help.

It's going to be difficult for any manager to build that confidence in the players

Could have done without fecking Arsenal next game as they'll need to play really well to get anything out of this game. Hopefully the French connection will help. I'd take a draw

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be honest I can't really see what Garde has done yet. His influence and approach will take time but one thing for sure is he hasn't inspired massive confidence in the players. They all seem terrified to the point I've never seen a time give the ball away that often ever! On the other hand at times you can see there is potential once confidence grows. 

I couldn't disagree more. 

I think the belief is growing with every game. I just hope we can avoid a spanking vs Arsenal so that work isn't undone.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I couldn't disagree more. 

I think the belief is growing with every game. I just hope we can avoid a spanking vs Arsenal so that work isn't undone.

Yep, I see the baby steps. It's subtle, but it's there. Slowly we look to be turning a corner, but it's ever so incremental and I have a bad feeling those bastards Arsenal are going to ***** it all up for us. Come on Arsene, help out your old boy.

• Like 1

Â