Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

1 minute ago, sne said:

Marseille #2 goalie Yohann Pelé?

Won't get any games now that Mandana choose to stay.

Says on his Wiki he always wanted to play in England, he's 33 thou...

It wouldn't really make sense for Remi to go to the game for him would it, being as it's highly unlikely he'll play.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It wouldn't really make sense for Remi to go to the game for him would it, being as it's highly unlikely he'll play.

If he's there meeting the player and talking with the club it would

I thought the guy behind him had him in a sleeper hold for a second!

(Also, I wouldn't read TOO much into him being there. That is his old club after all)

Given the timing I would think it odd if he's just over there checking out a game. He might have other personal commitments however.

• Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Given the timing I would think it odd if he's just over there checking out a game. He might have other personal commitments however.

Yeah probably. But I think it's possible. Lyon isn't exactly far. He could probably be back tonight.

If it were a random french game then I'd be very suspicious. But being at his old club is just a reason to maybe not get too excited.

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not that I'm one to defend our board, far from it, however in this circumstance it makes sense. 

Although Debuchy probably improves us, he won't improve us by a sufficient amount to justify £1.25m plus his substantial wages, for four months, with no chance of signing him next season. Right backs really aren't all that important. Plus with Richards now slotting into his rightful position, we will be more solid down that flank. 

Nor am I. None of us really know how much he might improve us or whether Richards playing in that position will be a one off or a regular thing for the rest of the season. I must admit I do think right backs can be rather important as quite a few of the goals we have conceded this season have demonstrated.

5 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Well seeing as we'd agreed the £1.2m fee by most accounts a few weeks ago and Debuchy wasn't sure on the move its a case of who you want to believe as no one knows for sure but most go with which ever article suits their feelings of the club at the minute. 

Agreed; but "a few weeks ago" can be a long time in football and particularly at Villa Park given we now have a new "bean counter" possibly suggesting we should stop throwing money at new players rather than at our infrastructure.  

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

£1.25m represents over 1% of our turnover. People may not *think* that's a "huge" amount, though that isn't the clubs wording either to be fair. It represents a significant amount from a business perspective when he's unlikely to give us anywhere near the improvement we need. Look how many people moaned at the Ilori deal.

An £8m striker, by an ambitious owner, might be a different story.

Could it be a fair gamble given the millions we will lose on going down? He along with a keeper and a striker might just give us the sort of improvement that we need but if we do not take that risk we will never know how much not doing so has cost us.

As I have said before Debuchy might not want to join us in any case and he may well be stringing us along until the end of the window which might leave us with an unused potential loan deal. We need to set a deadline for him if we have not already done so but if our manager really wants him we should not say no if we had said we could fund the deal a few weeks ago.        

8 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Our board and owner should have a duty of care to the club and its supporters - and that being the case, I don't believe they have fulfilled that duty on this specific point.

I totally agree with your sentiments that it's bananas that we don't seem to be taking a punt on someone - for all we know, at least. Maybe there's a surprise but I would've hoped it would come earlier in January, to be honest. I hate the f-img transfer window and I hate how we always seem woefully unprepared for, or in some way outwitted by, it. 

Gotta take issue with the duty of care thing, though. That's a very specific legal principle that just can't apply here. In this context, it's so subjective anyway that we can't claim this. Sorry to be the forum pedant! 

I wish I could say that the Board's decisions, as far as I know the ins and outs of them, made more sense to me, too. 

But Garde is only looking at a right back a defender and a goal keeper.

Now for me right back can be covered by Bacuna or Richards, dare I say it Hutton isn't that bad just hasn't been great in recent months.

The keeper is for the future as Garde like us doesn't know how good/consistent Bunn can be long term.

Sane again was a short term loan, but it feels that Okore and Lescott have been good enough to make Garde rethink that.

I would love to see a gamble on a young up and coming striker from the lower leagues or one from a foreign league, something that can be developed. I genuinely can't believe there are many strikers worse than Gestede, Kozak and Gabby.

6 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I totally agree with your sentiments that it's bananas that we don't seem to be taking a punt on someone - for all we know, at least. Maybe there's a surprise but I would've hoped it would come earlier in January, to be honest. I hate the f-img transfer window and I hate how we always seem woefully unprepared for, or in some way outwitted by, it. 

Gotta take issue with the duty of care thing, though. That's a very specific legal principle that just can't apply here. In this context, it's so subjective anyway that we can't claim this. Sorry to be the forum pedant! 

I wish I could say that the Board's decisions, as far as I know the ins and outs of them, made more sense to me, too. 

Regarding "duty of care" - and it being a legal principle - yes I know what you mean, that in basic terms applies to the board acting in the best interests of the business as defined by the shareholders and as the only shareholder is Randy, its unlikely he would challenge his own board on this issue. However, there is some legal precendent for when privately owned businesses have significant additional external stakeholders (usually social or environmental stakeholders, but in this case the supporters of AVFC), that a case can be made. However, regardless of that, we would need to demonstrate that the board had acted poorly and not in the best interests of the business, based on all the information at their disposal - which is difficult for us to do, as we are not privy to all the information - so you are still right. Thats my understanding of duty of care, but my reference is probably in the hope of a more utopian world of football.

• Like 2

The way I see it is we likely have targets, we've likely approached said targets but a club firmly rooted to the bottom of the table is not in any form of bargaining position. 

Any sane player will be bargaining for release clauses meaning the kind of player we are looking at are either cheap to mitigate financial risk, or not all that great as they are players happy to play in the Championship. 

Aston Villa as a club especially as a club not willing to spend money is likely struggling to sanction a transfer over £2-3 million as if it goes tits up and we still get relegated that is £2-3 million lost if they player negotiated a release clause. We're not going to be signing someone for £8 million knowing in 6 short months if they don't help us to safety they will be free to legally walk away. 

So I'm not surprised we're struggling to get anyone in as even loans, no player wants to have a relegated team on their CV even if it does have (loan) in brackets next to the club played for. We need new players in but I do think the club is trying as hard as they can, but as Remi has said earlier on in this window no one wants to join us in our current league position.