Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

2 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

If we don't get anybody in it'll be a disgrace. A mobile decent striker would've got us another 3/4 pts this window alone and could still get us back in the fight even now. I understand not gambling too much but we will need a striker in the summer anyway so why not try to get one now?? 

This is the thing, we will need a striker anyway in the summer. 

We have two potential front line players that could help our cause if they want to fight. Gabby and Grealo have qualities that could and would help our situation. Lots of us feel Gabby is past his best but better to try to get him on board than sign a player who cannot function in this league. Gabby still could, just not convinced he wants to....... Which if he is villa through and through he would jump at the chance to save us. Same with Grealish. 

My horizons are being brutally brought back . . . at the start of the window, I had in mind a good half a dozen positions in which I thought we needed to improve. Now we're getting to the end, and it's clear there's almost nothing to spend, all I'm asking for is a striker. Gestede is going to be out for 6 weeks or so. If we get a striker in now, then they can have acclimatised to the country and the culture and the club and everything before the start of next season. 

Failure to sign Austin in the summer has relegated us, with him, we wouldn't be this far adrift. Great going transfer committee. 

sign Austin and we are mid-table its as simple as that. even Adebayor and we out of trouble. we lost so many games by the odd goal that it was crazy not buy a striker

Austin was never going to come to villa why would he [emoji23]

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Summer window? 

Because we weren't exactly in relegation trouble at that point, plus, with the (gross) money spent we could have probably pitched different vision to him, if we'd have tried, which it appears we didn't.

Edit: re-read and get what you mean. Yes, it should have been done in the summer. QPR probably wanted more then, though. Although the cost of Austin pales into comparison to the cost of relegation. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Rumour we're after Ravel Morrison in the Birmingham mail. I'd take him but we need a striker. 

Can't see this at all to be honest - we've enough problem children already at the club (Gabby, N'Zog and Grealish) so can't see us signing a playmate for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeneralJazzman said:

We have two potential front line players that could help our cause if they want to fight. Gabby and Grealo have qualities that could and would help our situation. Lots of us feel Gabby is past his best but better to try to get him on board than sign a player who cannot function in this league. Gabby still could, just not convinced he wants to....... Which if he is villa through and through he would jump at the chance to save us. Same with Grealish. 

Wow we obviously must be watching different player's, Grealish is not a striker from what we gave seen. I can hardly think of him even having a shot, besides he's slow as.

As for Gabby, I'm almost tempted to write ditto apart from his pace.

Sorry mate but neither of these are the answer right now.

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

I think the board are preparing for life in the Championship. By that I mean, they aren't buying any players now and will simply look to sell our most valuable assets in the summer before replacing them with players from the lower leagues around Europe. 

One thing they need to remember, Aston Villa will be seen as the biggest club in that league and clubs will add a few more quid on to the asking price of any players we chase after. 

Somehow I cannt see Garde standing by watching the club sell off all our best players to be left with a load of shit. He will definitely walk if that is the case as I would guarentee should we go down he will want the backing to come straight back up. More than a year in the championship will affect his own career plans as I am sure he wants top flight management. Doesn't strike me as a patsy like the rest of them.

I don't necessarily think we will offload all our best players anyway tbh. Most the new boys have been brought in to increase in value and on 5 year deals which allows us to stand our ground if the money isn't right. Also too many have yet to really prove their worth in this country. I think the likes of Richards, Gil, Gana, Ayew, Gabby, Richardson, Hutton and Clark will all find definitely find other clubs in the premiership next season who need depth to the squads. But I don't think it's a forgone conclusion we lose all our best players. 

The main thing for me is holding on to the manager. If we do that I personally think we will come back up at the first attempt as long as he is fully backed.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My horizons are being brutally brought back . . . at the start of the window, I had in mind a good half a dozen positions in which I thought we needed to improve. Now we're getting to the end, and it's clear there's almost nothing to spend, all I'm asking for is a striker. Gestede is going to be out for 6 weeks or so. If we get a striker in now, then they can have acclimatised to the country and the culture and the club and everything before the start of next season. 

Well HV that's six week that we don't have to watch the "tree" (planted to the spot) play so it ain't all bad ;)

Obviously our position will make it difficult to find good player's willing to come in without relegation clauses but surely there has to be at the very least a forward brought in this week, what am I saying? this is AVFC under Lerner. As you were nothing to see here.

Gabby and Grealo are two players who have the potential to be of use. I can see that based on current evidence what SeanO says is true. But with how often we have seen players gain confidence and go on a run of scoring. I saw people poo poo signing Vardy for £15m in the summer, now people want somebody like him. Nobody foresaw his record scoring run this season. 

A person with the right confidence and training working effectively with others can do surprising things. Selfish players do not. At the moment Grealo and Gabby are not in the former category and could shift their mentality and become useful. 

I don't want to spend money on players who are no better than what we have, but if they have the right mentality then that is different. However if we can get those players from our squad, then we should not needlessly spend. 

1 minute ago, GeneralJazzman said:

Gabby and Grealo are two players who have the potential to be of use. I can see that based on current evidence what SeanO says is true. But with how often we have seen players gain confidence and go on a run of scoring. I saw people poo poo signing Vardy for £15m in the summer, now people want somebody like him. Nobody foresaw his record scoring run this season. 

A person with the right confidence and training working effectively with others can do surprising things. Selfish players do not. At the moment Grealo and Gabby are not in the former category and could shift their mentality and become useful. 

I don't want to spend money on players who are no better than what we have, but if they have the right mentality then that is different. However if we can get those players from our squad, then we should not needlessly spend. 

General Jazzmag, Grealish for a start isn't a striker and creating chances is not the current problem - it's finishing them.

Gil, Ayew, Veretout and even Westwood are setting up chances that should be finished.

As for giving 'Grealo' a chance - he's been given several opportunities to impress, including a run out against a League Two defence and he was abysmal. He should've bossed that game and pulled the strings but instead he remained anonymous, wouldn't put his foot in and was not up for a physical match against cloggers.

As for Gabby, I suspect his prolonged omission from first team duties have more to do with his ability to disrupt the dressing room more than the opposition's defence. Let's face it and be honest, his goal scoring record was never that decent anyway.

You also speak about right mentality - neither the players you mention have that and considering they're 'local lads' it's a crying shame. Especially when some young johnny foreigners are showing more fight, passion and desire to get us out of current predicament.

33 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Somehow I cannt see Garde standing by watching the club sell off all our best players to be left with a load of shit. He will definitely walk if that is the case as I would guarentee should we go down he will want the backing to come straight back up. More than a year in the championship will affect his own career plans as I am sure he wants top flight management. Doesn't strike me as a patsy like the rest of them.

I don't necessarily think we will offload all our best players anyway tbh. Most the new boys have been brought in to increase in value and on 5 year deals which allows us to stand our ground if the money isn't right. Also too many have yet to really prove their worth in this country. I think the likes of Richards, Gil, Gana, Ayew, Gabby, Richardson, Hutton and Clark will all find definitely find other clubs in the premiership next season who need depth to the squads. But I don't think it's a forgone conclusion we lose all our best players. 

The main thing for me is holding on to the manager. If we do that I personally think we will come back up at the first attempt as long as he is fully backed.

That list - only Ayew wil be sought after, and possibly not even him.