Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

10 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Garde is likely to know the French football scene quite well and hopefully he can pick us up a few gems (not journeymen) in January.

That is the last thing we need. We need players who are going to stand up and be counted, players who are going to run through brick walls.

As the great man, John SItton once said. "**** the technical shit."

• Like 1

Garde is likely to know the French football scene quite well and hopefully he can pick us up a few gems (not journeymen) in January.

That is the last thing we need. We need players who are going to stand up and be counted, players who are going to run through brick walls.

What is the last thing we need 'gems' or 'journeymen'?

20 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Attempting to find French gems is what has got us in the shit in the first place

Attempting to find French gems is what has got us in the shit in the first place

Really! I thought it was an uncaring owner, under investment and a succession of shit managers frequently buying shit players. I considered Benteke to be a gem (although Belgian not French) and wouldn't mind a few more like him.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, supermon said:

For a chance to stay up in the league I would go try and get Sirigu (GK), Debuchy (RB), Loftus cheek (loan DM), Miralles (long shot LW), Austin (long shot striker), decent prem experience there                   

Sirigu

Debuchy   Richards   Okore   Bacuna

Gana     Loftus-Cheek

Traore              Ayew               Miralles

Austin

We have a 0% chance of signing all of those players, except for Austin, who we might have a 5% chance of signing. Seriously, you need to massively lower your expectations. 

On 9 December 2015 at 13:37, Demitri_C said:

But I dont think think it was  a mistake zatman, i think it was plain stupidity from sherwood. We all saw how bad richardson was at left back last season. Another of a catalogue of errors from usless tim

I think it's more a case of Fred west or Jack the Ripper.

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

It has its time and place......but right now, I think Sittons point might be poignant for us.

4 hours ago, KHV said:

Think that's a bit harsh. It's been years of replacing good players with average/poor players. Giving poor managers too much time and replacing them with shit managers and having an owner who is just so clueless and inept he's failed in 2 different sports. 

I know this is all beside the point now, but I'm trying to remember precisely why we had to sell Tekkers and Delph in the first place, and why didn't we just make them huge offers, and keep Sherwood, since they had, as a group, despite all else, seemed to figure out the long-lost location of the AVFC net?

It was almost like we did the EXACT opposite of what any sane management team would do.

49710533.jpg

The mismanagement of our squad is staggering. I actually think most of the signings have shown promise but a few things have been handled awfully. Guzan and Hutton were dropped and deemed not good enough last year yet became good enough over the summer to regain their place! We actually signed a decent LB but then kept the worst of the 2 rearming LB's. We sign Gestede who needs crosses but don't actually sign any wingers to cross to him. We needed another midfielder and never got one. All these things have contributed to this mess. The next 4 games will decide who we sign in Jan hopefully we can get enough points so that the board don't throw in the towel. 

We need a RB LB CM and a goalscorer and some how we need to get the thing you can't buy. Desire. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I know this is all beside the point now, but I'm trying to remember precisely why we had to sell Tekkers and Delph in the first place, and why didn't we just make them huge offers, and keep Sherwood, since they had, as a group, despite all else, seemed to figure out the long-lost location of the AVFC net?

It was almost like we did the EXACT opposite of what any sane management team would do.

49710533.jpg

Not sure if serious.

5 hours ago, KHV said:

I supported the purchases of some of those French-league players, but it seems they -- and perhaps all of Ligue Uh -- were overrated. That happens, doesn't it? No decent recruitment team would pretend otherwise. You win some ... I actually think it was an honest, good-faith, even bold effort on the part of the now-notorious "committee." You can't blame a single net spend of £6m or whatever it was for all that has hampered Villa this year. Recruitment is really, really tricky, as I understand it. It takes years and years and years for a club to develop its network of scouts. Perhaps there was some bad intelligence or some hubris somewhere in our recruitment, but I think it's unfair to blame Reilly, for instance, too much.

I also think the depth of the club's longer-term management problems, already festering quite in the open as well as subtly behind the scenes, were unwisely papered over in the excitement of last season's end. Not to mix metaphors, but even after the Titanic hit the iceberg, the vessel kept moving forward for a bit ... and then ...

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

The mismanagement of our squad is staggering. I actually think most of the signings have shown promise but a few things have been handled awfully. Guzan and Hutton were dropped and deemed not good enough last year yet became good enough over the summer to regain their place! We actually signed a decent LB but then kept the worst of the 2 rearming LB's. We sign Gestede who needs crosses but don't actually sign any wingers to cross to him. We needed another midfielder and never got one. All these things have contributed to this mess. The next 4 games will decide who we sign in Jan hopefully we can get enough points so that the board don't throw in the towel. 

We need a RB LB CM and a goalscorer and some how we need to get the thing you can't buy. Desire. 

I think we need a bit of luck to kickstart the revival. A fluke win on a fluke goal, anything to get some momentum going. If Swansea, Sunderland, Norwich and even Chelsea continue to struggle, then there is still light ahead, an opening...it's possible to do this. Cue The Great Escape song...

Edited by maqroll

I read about Depoitre a few pages back. No clue why we're after this guy. He would cost us £10m at least and would offer us nothing Austin couldn't do (who we could get for about £6m). He's played in the Champions League, but tha's about it. His price is probably up because he's belgian.

if we could get Austin (£6m), Cole (free) and Sirigu (loan - he'll want to play in to get to the Euros), that would improve us a lot, though I'm not sure how Cole's level is at this point. Add a no-nonsense midfielder type-Barton and we would have a squad that should be picking up points. Also, when Richards is fit again, I'd play him on RB. Hutton can't be faulted for effort, but he's making costly mistakes far too often. Bacuna could be an alternative if we have an option at left back that is not Richardson.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

We have a 0% chance of signing all of those players, except for Austin, who we might have a 5% chance of signing. Seriously, you need to massively lower your expectations. 

YESSSIR, EXPECTATIONS LOWERED SIR!!!!