Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

Just now, Graham t said:

You are the exception to the rule if bring burgled did not affect you. Most people would at least make plans to improve their security. Especially ladies I should think,

Maybe if they had been armed then you would think differently, ( you aren't Clint Eastwood are you? )

The burglar was in and out before I even knew he was there, don't know if he was armed or not, he wasn't a threat to me I wasn't a threat to him, he didn't need to wave a gun in my face or worry about me shooting him, he just needed to not wake me up 

Turned out the better security I needed was my missus locking the **** door... 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's my point above

One day you might need one

What kind of life is that? Why aren't they voting to create laws that mean that there are no days where they need one? 

I get your point completely but that isn't going to happen is it.

Okay, guns get banned this year, ( great ).

How many people would hand them in?

Would you, if other people wouldn't....

VLD.

I was actually robbed a few weeks back, I did consider buying a baseball bat in the event it happens again but then just thought **** it, what's the point?
They took some shit and ran off, not the end of the world really. 

Statistically, having a gun in your home is more dangerous for you and your family, especially if you have young children or teens. A 2014 review in the Annals of Internal Medicine concluded having a firearm in the home, even when it’s properly stored, doubles your risk of becoming a victim of homicide and triples the risk of suicide.3

The statistics on gun violence also apply on a broader scale. The more firearms there are in a country (whether for self-defense, concealed carry, or recreational use), the higher the incidence of gun violence. Even after controlling for other factors like income, crime levels, and demographics, many studies over the last decade confirm this conclusion.

The prevalence of guns in the community means incidents like robbery and other crimes are more likely to carry the risk of gun violence. In states that have “stand your ground” laws, Rand Corporation found even minor disagreements or physical altercations carried a greater risk of turning into violent crime. In short, gun ownership does not increase safety, and the prevalence of guns directly correlates with significantly greater risk of gun-related homicides and suicides.

https://www.safewise.com/resources/guns-at-home/

I imagine there'd be far more widespread, more damning evidence if the US government didn't restrict research on gun violence

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I was actually robbed a few weeks back, I did consider buying a baseball bat in the event it happens again but then just thought **** it, what's the point?
They took some shit and ran off, not the end of the world really. 

This time....

maybe next time you won't be so 'lucky'...

Sorry you were robbed though, I would hate to think of some yob rummaging through my house and stealing stuff I worked hard for. 

VLD.

The funny thing about the American constitution is that whilst the second amendment gives the right of American citizens to bear arms, the third amendment prevents the US Govt from ‘quartering troops in private homes’. Ie using private homes as barracks, which often happened during the Civil War.

The US constitution is so out of date it’s silly, and it’s why we Brits we’re sensible enough to go down the constitutional route.

But guns in the US lead to c39,000 deaths a year. Three quarters of murders and fifty percent of suicides involve a gun.

Thats more deaths than in road traffic accidents.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rayk said:

But guns in the US lead to c39,000 deaths a year. Three quarters of murders and fifty percent of suicides involve a gun.

Remember all the fuss about our knife crime epidemic? Less than 300 deaths per year in the UK.  But then, we have less than 700 murders a year. We're just a much less murderous group people than Americans!

Edited by Davkaus

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Remember all the fuss about our knife crime epidemic? Less than 300 deaths per year in the UK.  But then, we have less than 700 murders a year. We're just a much less murderous group people than Americans!

I think if the UK population had access to guns things would be different.

If we looked at the road death stats, the US has slightly more gun deaths than deaths in a road traffic accident.

In the UK we have 1870 road deaths per year and I think that is a fair proxy if we had guns.

So that would be a 900% increase in murders. Not on day one, but over the years I’m sure.

6 minutes ago, rayk said:

So that would be a 900% increase in murders. Not on day one, but over the years I’m sure.

I'm sure we would have more murders if guns were more easily available, but I think that's off by an order of magnitude. I think guns are only part of the reason America is so **** up. 

For comparison, Australia's murder rate has gone down about 40% since their gun restrictions in '96.

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, Graham t said:

Okay, try to be honest here.....If you lived in America, would you buy a gun?

Most of you guys appear to not trust the police...

So a guy breaks into your house ( in America), he is armed...

You can't call the police because you don't trust them...

You don't have a gun (he/ she does )..

Do you propose to tickle him to death......

Just think about the scenario before you batter your keyboard.

And yes, I would buy a gun ( I think)...

This is a part of the problem isn't it. I mean if the bad guys got guns, then the ornry guys need to defend themselves. Then the bad guys need bigger guns...then...etc.

Another part is the psyche or mentality and the nature of the USA and the states having gradually joined into a Federation. There's the ingrained desire for the citiizens to be able to protect themselves from over-reaching government or army or police.

Me, no. I wouldn't want one. And I know how to use them etc. or did.

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm sure we would have more murders if guns were more easily available, but I think that's off by an order of magnitude. I think guns are only part of the reason America is so **** up. 

For comparison, Australia's murder rate has gone down about 40% since their gun restrictions in '96.

I dunno, our licensing laws are different and guns and booze just don’t mix well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham t said:

Okay, try to be honest here.....If you lived in America, would you buy a gun?

Most of you guys appear to not trust the police...

So a guy breaks into your house ( in America), he is armed...

You can't call the police because you don't trust them...

You don't have a gun (he/ she does )..

Do you propose to tickle him to death......

Just think about the scenario before you batter your keyboard.

And yes, I would buy a gun ( I think)...

My top priority in this life is to protect my family,

what is yours?

VLD.

VLD apparently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

If you bought a gun then you are increasing your chances of you or your family being killed with that gun. You would be doing the opposite of what you are intending.

The best way to protect your family would be to keep guns out of your house.

Leaping from "not trusting the police" to "not calling them if your house is getting robbed" is a weird connection to make. I think the police over there are, frankly, a disgrace at times. It wouldn't stop me calling them if I lived there and my house was getting robbed.

So no I don't think I would buy a gun. And I think your logic for buying one is incredibly flawed

That's fine, you have your views and I am still considering mine, 

VLD.

13 minutes ago, Graham t said:

That's fine, you have your views and I am still considering mine, 

VLD.

Mine are backed up by statistical evidence. Just FYI

Edited by Stevo985

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Mine are backed up by statistical evidence. Just FYI

Can't fault your comments about statistics and I only know America from my holidays in Miami so not exactly an 'expert'.

I suppose the next time I am there and I have the misfortune to be robbed by someone shoving a gun to the back of my head I can inform him that he is statistically unlikely to shoot me.

Apparently you don't actually hear the 'bang'........

On a more serious note,

The week before I was visiting South Beach a young man was shot on the beach, so not exactly unheard of...

VLD.

Â