The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

if he was trying to impress he’d have had something on the wall like an A Level politics certificate

A person would have had to set aside any faculties they had in order to believe that a reference to A-Level politics was an attempt to impress. :crylaugh:

Edited by snowychap

My unpopular opinion is that I shan't grieve for Grieve. If he's popular enough, and really wants to continue doing the job, he'll win reelection as an independent (he surely can't lack for name recognition). If he's not popular enough, and the voters of Beaconsfield are fool enough to vote for whatever balrog emerges from the local party selection process, well, then those are the views that need to be represented in Parliament, however much I wouldn't vote for them. My prediction is that Grieve's real future is in the House of Lords. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If he's not popular enough, and the voters of Beaconsfield are fool enough to vote for whatever balrog emerges from the local party selection process, well, then those are the views that need to be represented in Parliament

I think that's rather naive*, isn't it?

It's one of the safest Tory constituencies in the country. They'd vote for Corbyn if he were wearing a blue rosette.

*Edit: What I mean is that the person whom they elect is a direct representative of the views of the constituents (or even enough of those constituents to get someone over the line in a FPTP system). If anything, the person is more likely to reflect the views of the constituency party at a particular time when they are elected.

Edited by snowychap

36 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My unpopular opinion is that I shan't grieve for Grieve. If he's popular enough, and really wants to continue doing the job, he'll win reelection as an independent (he surely can't lack for name recognition). If he's not popular enough, and the voters of Beaconsfield are fool enough to vote for whatever balrog emerges from the local party selection process, well, then those are the views that need to be represented in Parliament, however much I wouldn't vote for them. My prediction is that Grieve's real future is in the House of Lords. 

He's not been deselected yet.  They are to decide on that.  There must be some members who went for the VONC as a sign of disapproval but would stop short of deselection, so he might still survive.

50 minutes ago, peterms said:

He's not been deselected yet.  They are to decide on that.  There must be some members who went for the VONC as a sign of disapproval but would stop short of deselection, so he might still survive.

Sounded like new members had been signed up recently presumably with this deselction specifically In mind ,  so that might  influence the final decision 

Edited by tonyh29

its just the start......and it will follow onto the Labour party too.

They all live in the ''Westminster bubble'' and have no real idea of what is really going on.

He stuck his neck out and somebody threw the noose around it.....serves him right imo....

46 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Sounded like new members had been signed up recently presumably with this deselction specifically In mind ,  so that might  influence the final decision 

If they are organised enough to do that, I suppose they will have done it in some other seats as well.

Michael Rosen wrote a poem: 

#strongandstable 
#strongandstablegovernment
#strong
#stable
#strongstable
#stablestrong
#stong
#strable
#strongle
#strangle
#stab

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The story about British soldiers using a picture of Corbyn as target practice briefly popped up in another thread.  I assume the video is genuine, as several have said it is and no-one has yet challenged it as far as I've seen.

I think we have to ask about the role of senior tories in radicalising the dim oafs who did this.  They have, over several years, run a narrative about him being a terrorist sympathiser, a threat to the nation's security, and so on.

This kind of lying hyperbole legitimises such conduct, in the minds of the people who get sucked in.

One comment by a tory MP or Army person was that the soldiers concerned need a serious talking to.  On the contrary, they need investigating in the same way that, say, a Muslim displaying similar violent attitudes towards Mrs May would get.  Investigation of contacts, internet use, phone messages, social media, affiliations, movements. 

Another question is the culture of the workplace.  What sort of behaviour is routinely tolerated, what jokes are seen as normal what attitudes are displayed?  What efforts do senior staff make to identify and challenge such conduct?  Because it didn't just spring out of nowhere.

And then, the role and responsibility of politicians and media in promoting and celebrating hate speech which makes such conduct more likely.

Passing it off as a jape by a few individuals would be a mistake, and would also be a strong signal that such attitudes are more acceptable in the forces than on the street.

In other news today, someone was seriously planning to murder an MP,  and Rees-Mogg, confronted with his serial support for a German fascist party, denounced the Today programme as left wing (hah!) for raising it.

The role of the tory party and the right wing press in enabling and normalising violence and hatred needs some very close scrutiny.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, peterms said:

The story about British soldiers using a picture of Corbyn as target practice briefly popped up in another thread.  I assume the video is genuine, as several have said it is and no-one has yet challenged it as far as I've seen.

I think we have to ask about the role of senior tories in radicalising the dim oafs who did this.  They have, over several years, run a narrative about him being a terrorist sympathiser, a threat to the nation's security, and so on.

This kind of lying hyperbole legitimises such conduct, in the minds of the people who get sucked in.

One comment by a tory MP or Army person was that the soldiers concerned need a serious talking to.  On the contrary, they need investigating in the same way that, say, a Muslim displaying similar violent attitudes towards Mrs May would get.  Investigation of contacts, internet use, phone messages, social media, affiliations, movements. 

Another question is the culture of the workplace.  What sort of behaviour is routinely tolerated, what jokes are seen as normal what attitudes are displayed?  What efforts do senior staff make to identify and challenge such conduct?  Because it didn't just spring out of nowhere.

And then, the role and responsibility of politicians and media in promoting and celebrating hate speech which makes such conduct more likely.

Passing it off as a jape by a few individuals would be a mistake, and would also be a strong signal that such attitudes are more acceptable in the forces than on the street.

In other news today, someone was seriously planning to murder an MP,  and Rees-Mogg, confronted with his serial support for a German fascist party, denounced the Today programme as left wing (hah!) for raising it.

The role of the tory party and the right wing press in enabling and normalising violence and hatred needs some very close scrutiny.

I think Corbyns history with the IRA is well documented as is 3rd Para being posted in NI ,  I don’t think 3 para have been suckered into anything , they have legitimate reasons to dislike the bloke .... posting it to Instagram was daft but if it helped with morale out in Kabul then so be it

the Mogg interview was interesting as the presenter tried to make the case he was endorsing a right wing party for twitting a link to that speech whilst defending her co-presenter who she was at pains to say wasn’t  making derogatory comments merely repeating a view of someone else ... I think Mogg has a point in that regard ... not sure about the Today show being leftie , tbh I don’t listen to it so couldn’t judge 

i caught the news segment about Rosie Cooper on my way home , I don’t think I’ve ever heard spontaneous applause from the commons before , her speech was very dignified and a little moving 

19 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think Corbyns history with the IRA is well documented as is 3rd Para being posted in NI ,  I don’t think 3 para have been suckered into anything , they have legitimate reasons to dislike the bloke ..

The Paras are the mob who murdered all those NI civilians, weren't they?  Shot unarmed people in the back, shot children?  And bitterly resented any suggestion they should be held to account for their crimes.

Are they upholding some kind of regimental tradition here?  Resenting being accountable to civil society, and seeking to intimidate anyone who challenges their actions?

9 minutes ago, peterms said:

The Paras are the mob who murdered all those NI civilians, weren't they?  Shot unarmed people in the back, shot children?  And bitterly resented any suggestion they should be held to account for their crimes.

Are they upholding some kind of regimental tradition here?  Resenting being accountable to civil society, and seeking to intimidate anyone who challenges their actions?

That wasn’t 3rd para 

im unaware of children being shot in the back , I’d be interested to see more about that .

i don’t see what accountability has to do with soldiers letting off some steam firing paint balls at Corbyns head shot 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

That wasn’t 3rd para 

im unaware of children being shot in the back , I’d be interested to see more about that .

i don’t see what accountability has to do with soldiers letting off some steam firing paint balls at Corbyns head shot 

Kevin McElhinney, aged 17 shot dead from behind

John Duddy, aged 17, shot dead running away from the scene

Hugh Gilmore, aged 17, shot dead whilst running away

John Young, 17, dead from a single head shot

Michael McDade, 20, dead from a single head shot

Pat Doherty, 31, shot in the back whilst crawling away

Bernard McGuigan, the guy that was shot in the head whilst waving a white hanky, he was in his 40's

Willie McKinney was shot dead with a rifle shot to the back, but he was 27

James Ray, 22, shot dead, two shots in the back

In total, six of the dead were 17 years old

Â