The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Moggs surrender on Mays deal has killed Moggmentum , for the time being at least !!

He hasn’t though, he said he’d do what the DUP told him to do and Arlene said No Surrender

A record 2.9 million children from working families in the UK are living in poverty after housing costs have been paid, the latest figures show.

This means 70% of all poor children were in working families last year, up from 67% on the previous year, official statistics show.

The face of child poverty is also getting younger with 53% of poor children aged under five, data shows.

The government said that tackling poverty was its priority.

Analysis of the statistics, published by the Department for Work and Pensions, shows the high cost of housing in the UK is pushing more working families over the poverty line.

BBC

2 hours ago, peterms said:

It's also an odd selection of reading/viewing material.  Is this really what occupies what passes for his mind?

We judging people on what books they read now ? Come the  revolution and Raab will be first up agaisnt the wall for not reading Grundrisse ?

Just now, tonyh29 said:

We judging people on what books they read now ? Come the  revolution and Raab will be first up agaisnt the wall for not reading Grundrisse ?

He clearly put them there to make an impression, there's no way they were there 5 minutes either side of this interview.

I can just imagine the frantic aide preparing the scene "Really? Nixon and an Arnie biography? Are these the only books you have?!"

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, snowychap said:

A thoroughly honourable man, who championed all of his constituents, apparently. 

Must be an incredibly affluent constituency if this dickhead 'championed' them.

Almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits

Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices 

Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability 

Almost always voted for reducing the rate of corporation tax

Generally voted for reducing capital gains tax

Generally voted against a banker’s bonus tax

Consistently voted against increasing the tax rate applied to income over £150,000

I won't shed any tears.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A thoroughly honourable man, who championed all of his constituents, apparently. 

Must be an incredibly affluent constituency if this dickhead 'championed' them.

I won't shed any tears.

You're a 'no deal' man, are you? I know you aren't as you've posted as much.

Why then the glee at a Tory who has been very much pro-remain and very much in the forefront of at least trying to do things properly (whether or not you're in favour of remaining or leaving) losing a vote of confidence in his local party association (which likely means he'll be replaced by a **** loon)?

He's not going to be replaced as a Tory candidate by someone who holds different positions to the ones you quoted.

It seems a silly stance to be taking, that a relatively moderate Tory (though an outspoken one in the current process) is losing a confidence vote and will likely be replaced by someone inclined to support the wing of the Tory party that Grieve has been very vocally opposed to.

Actually, it's not silly, it's utterly bizarre.

Edited by snowychap

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

We judging people on what books they read now ?

Well, that's what he's inviting us to do, isn't it?  Did you think the framing of the shot was simply accidental?  Or were we meant to think "Ooh, he reads books, and not Harry Potter ones, that's impressive"?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, peterms said:

Well, that's what he's inviting us to do, isn't it?  Did you think the framing of the shot was simply accidental?  Or were we meant to think "Ooh, he reads books, and not Harry Potter ones, that's impressive"?

if he was trying to impress he’d have had something on the wall like an A Level politics certificate.

I was really addressing your point about the odd selection of what occupies his mind rather than the staged position of the books , your post suggested you weren’t impressed with his choices 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

if he was trying to impress he’d have had something on the wall like an A Level politics certificate.

I was really addressing your point about the odd selection of what occupies his mind rather than the staged position of the books , your post suggested you weren’t impressed with his choices 

You're right.  He's invited us to be impressed by his reading material, and what I see is a selection of "how I did it and why I'm a great guy" by right-wing americans, an introductory economics book from The Economist, and something by that tool Niall Ferguson.  No, I'm not impressed.

• Like 1

Â