The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

54 minutes ago, bickster said:

For me the telling thing is that Labour have failed to capitalise yet again, they've been hammering away at Minge to resign etc when its May they should have been attacking over the policy all along. Yes they've mentioned May but that's it, they've gone for Minge full throttle, so Minge has absolutely done her job, she's taken one for the team. Yet another example of Labour's ineptitude imo. If they can't pick the right target in opposition , how can anyone expect them to do the right thing if they actually got into power.

Their difficulty is that a lot of their big names (e.g. Cooper) were attacking the Tories for not being tough enough (and/or effective enough) on immigration even after this policy was brought in.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

For me the telling thing is that Labour have failed to capitalise yet again, they've been hammering away at Minge to resign etc when its May they should have been attacking over the policy all along. Yes they've mentioned May but that's it, they've gone for Minge full throttle, so Minge has absolutely done her job, she's taken one for the team. Yet another example of Labour's ineptitude imo. If they can't pick the right target in opposition , how can anyone expect them to do the right thing if they actually got into power.

Ye-e-e-s, but the PM clearly isn't going to resign over the issue. There's just no chance. It's unlikely that Rudd will either, but more chance of that than the PM. So they're going for the achievable target. 

Also what @snowychap said. 

28 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ye-e-e-s, but the PM clearly isn't going to resign over the issue. There's just no chance. It's unlikely that Rudd will either, but more chance of that than the PM. So they're going for the achievable target. 

Also what @snowychap said. 

Actually I've been thinking about it a bit more and it's not what you said at all, it's that they don't want to get rid of May before the election and they don't want an election before Brexit.

Getting rid of May is perfectly achievable, she doesn't have to jump, she can be pushed but that whole scenario allows the Tories a get out jail free card

Personally I think this is the wrong approach but as Labour have the absolutely wrong policy on Brexit which is what controls this thinking, it doesn't shock me

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

Their difficulty is that a lot of their big names (e.g. Cooper) were attacking the Tories for not being tough enough (and/or effective enough) on immigration even after this policy was brought in.

I accept that this has some part in the thinking

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Actually I've been thinking about it a bit more and it's not what you said at all, it's that they don't want to get rid of May before the election and they don't want an election before Brexit.

Getting rid of May is perfectly achievable, she doesn't have to jump, she can be pushed but that whole scenario allows the Tories a get out jail free card

Personally I think this is the wrong approach but as Labour have the absolutely wrong policy on Brexit which is what controls this thinking, it doesn't shock me

It's not 11-dimensional chess

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Sorry I don't see what is so complicated about what I said. My thoughts are no more than a game of draughts

What I mean is, I think you're adding extra layers to their decision-making which just isn't there. 

Option 1: We want to get someone's head, and Rudd is a main deputy for May, so we'll aim for her, because there's absolutely no recent precedent for a PM just resigning over a scandal like this. 

Option 2: We don't actually want to get rid of May, especially not before an election, and we don't want an election before Brexit, because we all love Brexit, so we're going to try to make May look good, or at least not too bad, even we actually think that we could somehow get rid of May. 

I'm going with option one, for Occam's razor reasons. 

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

their decision-making which just isn't there.

That part’s right :)

the mess is May’s fault. May is the PM. Go for May. So, so, simple. Chop off the head of the beast.

or Jeremy Corbyn it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What I mean is, I think you're adding extra layers to their decision-making which just isn't there. 

Option 1: We want to get someone's head, and Rudd is a main deputy for May, so we'll aim for her, because there's absolutely no recent precedent for a PM just resigning over a scandal like this. 

Option 2: We don't actually want to get rid of May, especially not before an election, and we don't want an election before Brexit, because we all love Brexit, so we're going to try to make May look good, or at least not too bad, even we actually think that we could somehow get rid of May. 

I'm going with option one, for Occam's razor reasons. 

You've clearly never mixed with any political strategists, it's exactly the way they think

So, it turns out that whilst the warm hearted and thoroughly competent Amber Rudd didn't know there were any targets in her own department, she did promise to up deportations by 10%. 

Liar? Incompetent? Incompetent liar?

Home Secretary Amber Rudd reportedly set out her "ambitious but deliverable" aim to deport more illegal immigrants last year in a letter to Theresa May.

Ms Rudd promised Mrs May a 10% or more increase in enforced removals over the "next few years," The Guardian says.

She is due to make a Commons statement on Monday amid calls for her to quit.

In the letter, from January 2017, leaked to the Guardian, Ms Rudd tells Theresa May - her predecessor as home secretary - about plans to restructure the department to focus on the "aim of increasing the number of enforced removals by more than 10% over the next few years, something I believe is ambitious, but deliverable".

The nasty party, full of nasty little liars.

• Like 2

I mean, you think that would be the knockout blow, but then she's survived about half a dozen of those already. 

EDIT: She's the Birmingham City of Conservative ministers. Just won't flush. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Amber Rudd has resigned as home secretary, as the government struggles to contain the fallout from the Windrush generation scandal.

A statement from Downing Street said Theresa May had accepted the home secretary’s resignation.

Rudd’s handling of the crisis has been heavily criticised, with over 200 MPs signing a letter accusing her of making up immigration policy “on the hoof” in an effort to overcome the scandal.

It was the beleaguered Rudd’s insistence that she knew nothing of Home Office targets for immigration removals, which was later undermined by documents, including a letter she had written to Downing Street and leaked to the Guardian, that drew the most criticism.

After facing a barrage of calls to resign she finally announced her decision to quit on Sunday.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/29/amber-rudd-resigns-as-home-secretary-after-windrush-scandal?CMP=twt_gu

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

May should swiftly be following her. Unfortunately the story will be buried with Rudd.

Which grim Brexiteer will be parachuted in do we think?

exactly, May was the recipient of the letter and therefore proven as deceitful as the scum that resigned.

What an absolute disgrace of a government from top to bottom.

• Like 1

Â