The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

The Government has been accused of trying to kill off Britain’s solar energy industry just as it is about to become one of the cheapest suppliers of electricity – with no need for any kind of state subsidy.

In fact, according to the Government’s own projections, only onshore windfarms could provide cheaper power within the next decade or so – and the Conservatives pledged in the party’s election manifesto to “halt their spread”.

Amid ongoing concern about rising energy prices, the industry expressed disbelief that the Treasury is about to impose a swingeing business tax on firms with rooftop solar schemes, which could increase the bill by up to eight times. Domestic installations could also be hit by a VAT increase from five to 20 per cent.

And large-scale solar has been excluded from Government auctions of contracts to supply electricity to the grid for the lowest guaranteed price, effectively a form of state subsidy.

Representatives of the Solar Trade Association (STA) plan to meet Jane Ellison, the Financial Secretary to the Treasury, on Thursday in a bid to persuade the Government to drop the business rate increase and to give the sector a “level playing field” with fossil fuels.

At the same time, a group of children will deliver a letter to the Treasury appealing to scrap the business rate rise after they helped to raise funds to install panels on their state school, Eleanor Palmer Primary in Camden, London.

Unlike private schools, exempt because of their charitable status, it will be forced to pay the new tax.

Independent

• Like 1

The mother of a disabled man who starved to death after he was found “fit for work” and lost his out-of-work disability benefits has called for ministers to face criminal charges.

Jill Gant says work and pensions ministers should be tried for misconduct in public office for failing to take action that could have saved the life of her son, Mark Wood.

She spoke out after signing a letter, drawn up by the Green Party and backed by Disabled People Against Cuts, that calls on work and pensions secretary Damian Green to order an independent inquiry into the links between his department’s procedures and the deaths of benefit claimants.

The party has produced a dossier of 50 cases in which the deaths of benefit claimants have been linked to decisions taken by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Disability News service

I think this mob just see a few deaths from someone losing their disability benefits as collateral damage in their ideological war on welfare and destroying the state.

This current mob of Tories haven’t disappointed have they and have lived up to the billing of nasty evil bastards. I genuinely don’t know how anyone votes for them.

Edited by markavfc40

A member of the prestigious Cambridge University Conservative Association has been expelled from the organisation after he was filmed burning a £20 note in front of a homeless person.

The footage, shared on Snapchat, showed the Pembroke College student, dressed smartly in bowtie and tails, using a cigarette lighter to burn the money, the student website the Tab reported.

Guardian

zdcAI8W.jpg

Meet Ronald Coyne everyone.

19 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think this mob just see a few deaths from someone losing their disability benefits as collateral damage in their ideological war on welfare and destroying the state.

This current mob of Tories haven’t disappointed have they and have lived up to the billing of nasty evil bastards. I genuinely don’t know how anyone votes for them.

Oh I dunno... I'm alright Jack.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If only there was a way to symbolically burn something that would damage his future in front of him.

Trouble is, other than the embarrassment of being named and shamed, it will change nothing about his future. He could have kicked the homeless person to death, and raped his corpse, and he'll still be set for life, when he starts working (probably at his father's firm).

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It can only be that can't it. I can't see how you can have any kind of social conscience and stick an X next to a Tory candidate.

I'm sure not every Tory is completely without social conscience.

I do think quite a few would argue they pay their tax (too much...) and that they don't have to be concerned with anything but themselves. Or they give money to some charity.

But ultimately I think a significant element of their votership is underlined solely by self interest. No human isn't driven by that, but other ideologies temper it a little more willingly for the greater good. Conservatism is more or less defined by approaching that from the other direction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Guardian

zdcAI8W.jpg

I remember a few years ago, when I was walking back from clubbing at Sankey's in Manchester, I went to the Spa in the centre of the town, and there was a homeless guy sat in front. It was bloody freezing. Anyway, while I was waiting for my mate inside, two lads walked out of the shop, saw the homeless guy, pointed at him and one of them shouted at him - from about 2 feet away - 'HA HA! HE'S HOMELESS!' 

Some people are just scum at the end of the day. 

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Self interest pure and simple.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xann said:

Guardian

A member of the prestigious Cambridge University Conservative Association has been expelled from the organisation after he was filmed burning a £20 note in front of a homeless person.

zdcAI8W.jpg

Yes - apparently they say he should have used a 50.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

But surely everyone has to vote Conservative? You know, because Jeremy Corbyn is unelectable?

Spoilt ballot. Like me :D. I don't like political parties so they're all starting on the back foot, but...

I couldn't in good conscience ever vote Tory. Labour needed to win me over and then Corbyn, who I didn't actively hate, **** that . And I was at university when the Lib Dems wooed students to great effect and then stabbed them again and again in the back, and Farron is despicable. And everything else is a waste of time, for one reason or another, or immeasurably worse even than voting Tory.

Â