The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Theresa May emphasised the common views she shares with the new US president, saying: "One of the things we have in common is we want to put the interests of ordinary working people right up there, centre stage."

I've always felt that the best interest of the common man on the street has been a cornerstone of Tory ideology. 

"ordinary".  There must be a better way of putting this ?

I find Theresa May as repulsive as Thatcher. 

A wolf in sheep's clothing.

She stands up in front of the both the UK and US media and tells them she cares about working people whilst working people in Worcestershire pay the price for governmental cuts. 'Non essential' surgeries are being cancelled because there isn't enough bed space or funding, weeks after people are dying in A and E corridors whilst school funding is amongst the lowest in the country. 

My local MP is more concerned about talking about Yemen in parliament. 

But yeah, mid Worcestershire is as safe as possible Tory seat as you'll find. 

• Like 3

There should be riots.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/26/hip-operations-much-pain-cant-sleep-new-nhs-rationing-plans/

Hip operations only for those in so much pain they can't sleep under new NHS rationing plans 

Patients needing a new hip will only be operated on if they are in so much pain they cannot sleep or carry out daily tasks under new NHS rationing plans.

The Royal College of Surgeons said the restrictions were “alarming” and “arbitrary” - ignoring the extra costs from delaying treatment and prolonging pain.

Vice-President Stephen Cannon said there was “no clinical justification” for drawing up rules which would force pensioners to endure increasing pain and misery amid a growing financial crisis.

Three Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) in the West Midlands have drawn up plans to dramatically cut the number of people who qualify for hip and knee replacements, in a bid to save £2m a year.

Patients in pain would only receive surgery if they were in such agony that they could not sleep or carry out daily tasks, while the most obese will be told they could only have surgery if they lost weight/

The CCGs are aiming to cut the number of people who qualify for hip replacements by 12 per cent, with a 19 per cent drop in knee replacements.

Mr Cannon said: “The CCGs’ policy decision to restrict access to NHS care, based on arbitrary pain and disability thresholds, is alarming.

“It is another example of how the huge financial strains the NHS is currently under are directly affecting patients. It is right to look at alternatives to surgery but this decision should be based on surgical assessment, not financial pressures,” he said.

The college said it was  concerned that the latest policy was “just the tip of the iceberg” with rising numbers of areas limiting surgery to those most in pain.

“Although the CCGs claim this will save them £2million a year, this overlooks the longer term impact on patients of delayed treatment, prolonged pain, and potentially higher costs of treatment. For example, patients affected by these changes may require additional pain relief medication, and may still require surgery further down the line, which may be more complex,” Mr Cannon said.

elderly couple 
The number of patients seeking hip surgery has risen significantly amid an ageing population  CREDIT: ALAMY

Board papers seen by Health Service Journal say a "patient's pain and disability should be sufficiently severe that it interferes with the patient's daily life and/or ability to sleep" in order for surgery to be funded.

Those who are obese with a body mass index of 35 or over will be told they need to lose 10 per cent of their weight to be eligible for NHS hip or knee surgery, unless their joint problems are very severe.

Redditch and Bromsgrove, South Worcestershire, and Wyre Forest CCGs are aiming to prevent about 350 operations a year, by drawing up new eligibility restrictions.

But the Royal College of Surgeons said there is "no clinical justification" for their plans.

The move is the latest in a round of cost-cutting by CCGs - with wide restrictions in access to treatments, drugs and fertility treatment.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I live in Bromsgrove so I'll speak on behalf of the feeling of the local population.

Meh

Speaking as me, I think it's a disgrace but I'm not surprised. Round here seems to be an area they're really starving for some reason.

I spent 30 mins constantly ringing my GP from the opening time at 08.30 to have the phone system eventually let me queue to get an appointment. All gone for that day. Advance appointments are booked up for weeks. I need to see the doctor pretty soon really but can't justify A&E. I'm not really sure what to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

I live in Bromsgrove so I'll speak on behalf of the feeling of the local population.

Meh

Speaking as me, I think it's a disgrace but I'm not surprised. Round here seems to be an area they're really starving for some reason.

I spent 30 mins constantly ringing my GP from the opening time at 08.30 to have the phone system eventually let me queue to get an appointment. All gone for that day. Advance appointments are booked up for weeks. I need to see the doctor pretty soon really but can't justify A&E. I'm not really sure what to do.

Don't know about the others but I'm a little put out you haven't asked VT for medical advice ....

I went to the walk in clinic to have my stitches taken out the other week as my Doctor was being a dick and offering me an appointment 2 week in the future 

im staggered in this day and age though that patients  can't make an appointment online ...

Edited by tonyh29

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Im staggered in this day and age though that patients  can't make an appointment online ...

You can but you have to go in and get a form, fill it in, take it back and then it won't help you get an appointment any sooner.

GPs funding cuts are causing a big strain on A&Es. Everyone has to self diagnose via the internet which causes them to assume they're either having a heart attack or have cancer.

On 26/01/2017 at 18:10, blandy said:
On 26/01/2017 at 16:38, tonyh29 said:

hasn't mentioned trade

We'll see. ;)

UK to enhance trade with Turkey, says Theresa May

Theresa May has said the UK will enhance trade relations with Turkey after talks with the country's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The prime minister said Turkey was one of Britain's "oldest friends" but there was much that could be done to build on that relationship.

Analysis - By defence and diplomatic correspondent Jonathan Marcus

Both Ankara and London find themselves in a position where they need friends. Many fear that Turkey - a key Nato ally - is heading towards a more authoritarian future under President Erdogan.

...more on link

• Like 1

I would suggest that 'enhancing' relationships with autocrats like Erdogan is more indicative of the future direction of our country, post-Brexit, than threatening Trump with reduced co-operation between intelligence services. 

An 'ethical foreign policy' might be one of the first casualties. 

• Like 3

She's agreed to sell them £100m of fighter jet development to Turkey. Hoorah for our PM and he continuing battle to make life better for you and me.

I for one can't wait for Erdogan's blood money to trickle down to those places where it can make our society better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Tbf I've been slightly misquoted ... blandy quoted a Gurdian article and I said it hasn't mentioned trade , which it hadn't 

so I'm still right :P

Um, I didn't quote the Guardian, Tony, that was you! 

I just posted "we'll see" because, well, y'know....

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Um, I didn't quote the Guardian, Tony, that was you! 

I just posted "we'll see" because, well, y'know....

Oh yeah so I did :blush: ... my bad....explains why I felt the urge to buy some sandals earlier 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

She's agreed to sell them £100m of fighter jet development to Turkey. Hoorah for our PM and he continuing battle to make life better for you and me.

Is it bad to work with another NATO member, with a democratically elected government, to develop their capability to build a fighter aircraft? Wouldn't it be better to, I dunno, let the Americans, or the Russians or the Chinese or the Germans or French do it? or maybe let Turkey buy off the shelf planes from the US?

Is there a point at which doing stuff like "That Donald Trump he's a massive numpty, we shouldn't do trade with America" or "that Erdogan fella, what's he like? we should not trade with Turkey" and all that kind of "let's boycott this that and the other" sort of misses the point that these are genuinely democratically elected leaders. Surely we can't treasure and value the democratic process and then when it elects someone who offends our very English sensibilities decide that we're not going to play any more? that it's all unfair and we should retreat from engagement until they damn well stop doing things we (or some of us) take a dim view of.

Just askin' like

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

Is it bad to work with another NATO member, with a democratically elected government, to develop their capability to build a fighter aircraft? Wouldn't it be better to, I dunno, let the Americans, or the Russians or the Chinese or the Germans or French do it? or maybe let Turkey buy off the shelf planes from the US?

Is there a point at which doing stuff like "That Donald Trump he's a massive numpty, we shouldn't do trade with America" or "that Erdogan fella, what's he like? we should not trade with Turkey" and all that kind of "let's boycott this that and the other" sort of misses the point that these are genuinely democratically elected leaders. Surely we can't treasure and value the democratic process and then when it elects someone who offends our very English sensibilities decide that we're not going to play any more? that it's all unfair and we should retreat from engagement until they damn well stop doing things we (or some of us) take a dim view of.

Just askin' like

I think that we can certainly be very careful about how close we get to these people (democratically elected or not) especially when they have made moves in certain directions.

Anyone who 'treasures and values the democratic process' over and above trying to use one's judgement about the actions of those who have been elected by it, i.e. using it's democracy, 'innit to trump (pun necessary) any other cards played, either doesn't really understand the role democracies and democratic elections have played (and will continue to play) in bringing in and legitimizing regimes that soon turn autocratic, authoritarian and worse or, sadly, doesn't care.

I'm not sticking you in that camp, btw, blandy - as you were just asking the question. I'm not putting you in any sort of camp...I'll leave that to some of the democratically -elected leaders. :)

Â