The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

more and more. 

But it's becoming like Trump, in that there's so much corruption people are being desensitised to it all. 

A leaving do with 30 to 40 guests and not investigated by Sue Gray. Hardly fills you with confidence in her about to be released report does it if this was over looked/deemed not worthy of investigating. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

A leaving do with 30 to 40 guests and not investigated by Sue Gray. Hardly fills you with confidence in her about to be released report does it if this was over looked/deemed not worthy of investigating. 

How do we know Sue Gray didn’t look into this party?

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Who's taking these photo's at the parties. An secondly, who's leaking them?

I would assume that it is people who were there, have been fined and blamed while watching the person responsible takes none of the (legal / financial) flack.

And probably feel a bit put out by that. 

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

No doubt the report will be released once PMQs has finished.

He'll have to come and address parliament once the report is released either way and we can expect more bluster and bullshit, a few I am sorry if anyone feels hurt/offended, a few Tories with a backbone will stick a knife in and the other 300 odd with as much back bone as a jelly fish will either spout some bollocks or cheer enthusiastically. 

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It says in the report.

Ah, the news report, not the SG report.

It makes me so angry that attempts are made over and over to sweep this saga under the carpet.

If Sue Gray didn’t look into this event she needs to explain why.

If the Met fined some but not all people attending, they need to explain why.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Like clockwork

He's got a point, they've quoted something that he didn't say. It's fair to attribute the paraphrased comment to him, to sum up what he said, but he didn't say the statement that they've put in quotes, it's quite poor journalism.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

He's got a point, they've quoted something that he didn't say. It's fair to attribute the paraphrased comment to him, to sum up what he said, but he didn't say the statement that they've put in quotes, it's quite poor journalism.

I was thinking the same thing, he does have a point. It’s not correct to write the quote like that as he didn’t say it (although he said words to the same affect).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was thinking the same thing, he does have a point. It’s not correct to write the quote like that as he didn’t say it (although he said words to the same affect).

The frustrating thing is that he's now able to sidestep the issue and change the argument, when the misquote really isn't *that* big a deal because it does accurately reflect what he was saying. But he's only been able to do this because they've broken a basic rule of journalism.

Readers have a right to expect that what is in quotations is what was actually said, there is a convention to skip unnecessary wording with ellipsis, there is a convention to correct an obviously misspoken statement with sic, there's no convention to just insert your own words into the quote to make a convenient headline, because it's absolutely not acceptable to do it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's a grey area, but lots of guides use "..." for direct citation and '...' for paraphrased citation. 

• Like 1

In fairness if I was him I wouldn't have drawn attention to that interview given what he says. You don't watch that interview and think oh off the back of it someone has potentially miss used quotations. You watch that interview and think what a spineless prick.

• Like 1

Â