The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

13 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It's a grey area, but lots of guides use "..." for direct citation and '...' for paraphrased citation. 

Genuinely don't think I've ever heard of this being recommended, do you have any examples?

5 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

They aren’t quotation marks. Clearly. 

What? :D 

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Genuinely don't think I've ever heard of this being recommended, do you have any examples?

What? :D 

It’s an inverted comma. 

“ = quotation mark - direct quotation

’ = inverted comma - paraphrasing 

Tbf it’s an American invader, I was taught the old way as a kid by my parents based on what they were taught but at school in the 90’s they started using the American system of double quotation marks. 

Edited by Ingram85

So, Sue Gray has given her report to Boris Johnson.

I guess Boris is reading it as we speak. Will he read it properly, or just treat it like an international law?

If we assume he doesn’t know what’s in it already, and it’s awful might he jump the gun and resign immediately? We can dream…

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

It’s an inverted comma. 

“ = quotation mark - direct quotation

’ = inverted comma - paraphrasing 

Got a source for that? Becuase I think it's bollocks

https://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/quotes/marks

The use of quotation marks, also called inverted commas, is very slightly complicated by the fact that there are two types: single quotes (` ') and double quotes (" "). As a general rule, British usage has in the past usually preferred single quotes for ordinary use, but double quotes are now increasingly common; American usage has always preferred double quotes. As we shall see below, the use of double quotes in fact offers several advantages, and this is the usage I recommend here.

http://www.eng-lang.co.uk/ogs.htm

The Oxford Guide to Style

Quotation marks, also called 'inverted commas', are of two types: single and double.  British practice is normally to enclose quoted matter between single quotation marks, and to use double quotation marks for a quotation within a quotation:

'Have you any idea', he said, 'what "dillygrout" is?'

This is the preferred OUP practice for academic books.  The order is often reversed in newspapers, and uniformly in US practice:

"Have you any idea," he said, "what 'dillygrout' is?"

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Just going from what I was taught at school, double quotation marks for direct quotes, single inverted comma for paraphrasing. 

18 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Just going from what I was taught at school, double quotation marks for direct quotes, single inverted comma for paraphrasing. 

Well, I don't know what you were taught, but these days you wouldn't find any style guides that suggest putting paraphrasing in any kind of quotes, and I've never seen it in my life as anything but a mistake. I've even tried finding anything that suggests it, and I can't, so I think you're just misremembering, but it's neither here nor there, really; regardless of what any of us were taught, here's channel 4's style guide.

https://www.channel4.com/media/documents/commissioning/ONLINE/onlinestyleguide2011.pdf

Quotation Marks / Quotations Use single quotation marks for reported or direct speech or quotations from other works. Speech or quotations within single quotes should have double quotation marks. Introduce speech with commas, but quotations with colons. ‘I don’t know what I’m doing!’ shouted Russ. He then fell over. Lucy said, ‘Russ shouted: “I don’t know what I’m doing!” and fell over.’ For long quotations from written material, especially poetry, make sure you follow the exact spacing, indenting, spelling and punctuation of the original.

They were quite simply wrong to do it, so let's move on and agree that regardless of the journalistic standards, the tory is a Representative for Wellingborough.

Edited by Davkaus

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Well, I don't know what you were taught, but these days you wouldn't find any style guides that suggest putting paraphrasing in any kind of quotes, and I've never seen it in my life as anything but a mistake. I've even tried finding anything that suggests it, and I can't, so I think you're just misremembering, but it's neither here nor there, really; regardless of what any of us were taught, here's channel 4's style guide.

https://www.channel4.com/media/documents/commissioning/ONLINE/onlinestyleguide2011.pdf

They were quite simply wrong to do it, so let's move on and agree that regardless of the journalistic standards, the tory is a Representative for Wellingborough.

Pretty comfortable going on the basis of whether there are guides that use that style or not, if the C4 one doesn't then it doesn't really matter. And you are therefore correct.

Not sure if there's any legal basis for this, and the Good Law Project have a bit of an iffy track record, but one to keep an eye on, could be interesting

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-met-police-partygate-investigation-b2086873.html

Legal action has been launched over the Metropolitan Police’s alleged failure to “adequately investigate” Boris Johnson’s attendance at illegal Downing Street Parties.

The Good Law Project has given the force two weeks to respond to its legal letter before applying for a judicial review in the High Court.

The group is representing Lord Paddick, who is a former deputy assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police and is now a Liberal Democrat peer in the House of Lords.

A letter published on Wednesday said the action was over the “apparent failure of the Metropolitan Police Service to adequately investigate, or investigate at all, the prime minister’s participation in three unlawful gatherings held at 10 Downing Street”.

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not sure if there's any legal basis for this, and the Good Law Project have a bit of an iffy track record, but one to keep an eye on, could be interesting

It was the Good Law Project that nudged them into action in the first place on this issue by threat of judicial review.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Sue Gray has not included any photos that were taken on personal devices, just official photos.

So when do we think the next “unofficial” photo will be leaked? 

I quickly scanned through for pictures and saw only 9. Please tell me that’s not all that we’re considered.

We are in some weird parallel universe now I swear.

Damning report highlighting failures of leadership (on top of all the other shit the fat clown has had to apologise for over the past few years) and Bozo’s response - ‘I hope now we can draw a line under it and move on’.

WTAF.

They forced a birthday cake upon him, and snacks onto the table, and a beer into his hand.

I have to say, it does look less party like than the other party pictured in which he wasn’t fined.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We are in some weird parallel universe now I swear.

Damning report highlighting failures of leadership (on top of all the other shit the fat clown has had to apologise for over the past few years) and Bozo’s response - ‘I hope now we can draw a line under it and move on’.

WTAF.

24 hours after the Afghanistan inquiry highlighted failures of leadership by him personally and the deputy PM.

Its water off a ducks back at this stage.

Â