The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

18 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Public transport upgrades comes under the regional major. They get a decent budget from central government to spend on schemes.

Are the public transport companies not private? How does that work? Someone with tax payer money sending it off to private companies? I might be getting this wrong, I genuinely don't know how this works. 

3 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Is that something the mayor can do? I don't understand anything in this world any more.

Andy Burnham has been doing it in Manchester, to great acclaim. Making it affordable again. Imagine!

• Like 1

Every metro mayor is different because it depends on what deal your local authorities came to with the government when the combined authority was set up.

Just as an example of that (and how f***ing stupidly this was set up) - ULEZ type zones….

Greater Manchester  - combined authority responsibility, One giant area, one fee per day

Merseyside - no we're not giving our power away, Six councils, Six fees per day

(neither of which are currently in force but that’s what the outcome will be)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

Every metro mayor is different because it depends on what deal your local authorities came to with the government when the combined authority was set up.

Just as an example of that (and how f***ing stupidly this was set up) - ULEZ type zones….

Greater Manchester  - combined authority responsibility, One giant area, one fee per day

Merseyside - no we're not giving our power away, Six councils, Six fees per day

(neither of which are currently in force but that’s what the outcome will be)

That does sound a dog's dinner, but theoretically  (and it is only a theory), if you don't like what the mayor and or councillors are doing, they can be voted out. Local/regional politicians get greater powers, but also should get greater scrutiny/accountability  (though a weakness we have is a decent local press and or civic institutions to help coordinate this)

Edit: case in point  - Ben Houchen oversees what looks like corruption and nepotism on a large scale at TVCA, doesn't  get anywhere near enough scrutiny. and is rewarded  with reelection. 

But I suppose at least it's decent local cronyism and grift for local  businesses as opposed to the national level stuff we have seen with award of covid contracts 

Edited by one_ian_taylor

32 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

That does sound a dog's dinner, but theoretically  (and it is only a theory), if you don't like what the mayor and or councillors are doing, they can be voted out. Local/regional politicians get greater powers, but also should get greater scrutiny/accountability  (though a weakness we have is a decent local press and or civic institutions to help coordinate this)

Edit: case in point  - Ben Houchen oversees what looks like corruption and nepotism on a large scale at TVCA, doesn't  get anywhere near enough scrutiny. and is rewarded  with reelection. 

But I suppose at least it's decent local cronyism and grift for local  businesses as opposed to the national level stuff we have seen with award of covid contracts 

Well I can’t vote out my council for another 3 years since they changed to a 4 year cycle (and did away with a directly elected mayor - because you know, the last but one was corrupt). In Liverpool everyone hates the local press as much as they hate the council. We’ve had corrupt councillors for years, corrupt council staff for years, because it’s Labour, the unions have far too much influence (and I'm not talking about in relation to staff pay and conditions) and the council is in special measures. Most people moan about the council, yet they vote the same morons in every single time - the problem being, there’s no-one else they want either. The LibDems are the opposition and the last time they were in control, the last leader was convicted of perjury and the one before was forced to resign for plotting to get rid of he chief exec (he was rewarded with a seat in the House of Lords). That leaves the Greens and the Liberals (yes we have them as well as the LibDems) neither of which are going to make great strides any time soon. There are no Tories, they are extinct. We’ve even had attempts at Indie candidates, they are usually people previously associated with corruption somewhere or other.

On the other hand, I think Steve Rotherham, the Metro Mayor is doing a decent job, so voted for him to serve again.

But anyway back to the point. Nobody asked the people what they wanted the combined authority to be responsible for, they asked he councils and true to local form, they elected to keep a lot of their powers because… well they got to keep their little fiefdoms 

• Like 1

The conservatives are on their knees but will no doubt continue to desperately grasp for any money to stuff in their pockets until they are forced to renege power.

that moment cannot come too soon. 

• Like 2

They’ll be spending the next few months furiously pledging money that doesn’t exist for projects so Labour will have to cancel when they are in power.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

They’ll be spending the next few months furiously pledging money that doesn’t exist for projects so Labour will have to cancel when they are in power.

They’ve already forced through the Rwanda fiasco - which will undoubtedly cost us tenfold when it inevitably all goes wrong… 

I imagine a few will have personally profited from the deal being made… 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

They’ve already forced through the Rwanda fiasco - which will undoubtedly cost us tenfold when it inevitably all goes wrong… 

I imagine a few will have personally profited from the deal being made… 

Rwanda needed a lot of inward investment. How was I to know that the house builder I invested in was going to bid for the shack building for asylum seekers? 

• Like 1

Even in their worst nightmares the mayoral elections, local elections and police and crime commissioner elections could not have gone any worse. The teeny weeny crumb they'll try to cling to in Houchen winning the Tees Valley Mayor comes with the caveat that there was a 17% swing to Labour which when replicated in a general election would see the Tories completely wiped out in the North East. They are finished. 

Posted (edited)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/05/04/local-election-results-suella-braverman-rishi-sunak/

SUELLA BRAVERMAN

Let me cut to the chase so no one wastes time overanalysing this: we must not change our leader. Changing leader now won’t work: the time to do so came and went. The hole to dig us out is the PM’s, and it’s time for him to start shovelling

That is not how that works Suella

dig-up.gif.e56f9bc4ecf30f429af6bf09ce5fda5a.gif

Edited by wishywashy
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Suella saying Sunak needs to change course to avoid Labour victory at the General Election

:crylaugh: 

Change to a MORE right wing course. That'll do it Cruella 👍

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Change to a MORE right wing course. That'll do it Cruella 👍

Laura K almost certainly failed to mention that Tory + Reform votes still ends in annihilation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Suella saying Sunak needs to change course to avoid Labour victory at the General Election

:crylaugh: 

She must know it's her mental side of the party that have completely **** any tiny chance of avoiding a complete wipeout.  Starmer is just gladly scooping up all the moderate voters left over.

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

She must know it's her mental side of the party that have completely **** any tiny chance of avoiding a complete wipeout.  Starmer is just gladly scooping up all the moderate voters left over.

It's insane. They MUST know this. But they equally know that it's what their grass roots and funders want to hear. 

I assume there's big money for being high up in the party even when not in power? 

• Like 1

The wicked witch has presumably got her hopes on being the leader of the opposition, that doesn't happen if the party pivots back to moderates. And there aren't many of them left, certainly not of much prominence, the brexit loyalty purge under bojo the clown saw to that.

Apparently Andy Street said to Chris Mason that his performance which outperformed his party's popularity proved the case for "moderate" Conservatism.

There's you're evidence Cruella. 

It's the lurch to the right that's destroying them. 

• Like 2

Â