The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 men charged under the Official Secrets Act with spying for China. Neither of them are Tory MPs so why am I posting this here?

Well, one of the men charged is Christopher Cash, who was heading up a group called the China Research Group

About the China Research Group
The China Research Group was set up by a group of Conservative MPs in the UK to promote debate and fresh thinking about how Britain should respond to the rise of China.

The group looks to consider the longer term challenges and opportunities associated with the rise of China and its industrial and diplomatic policies...

Now the next question is answered by the fact that the China Research Group actually incorporated as a company so Companies House has a record of them, so I'm guessing that...

• Tom Tugendhat
  • Neil O'Brien
  • Alicia Kearns

... might just be feeling a little anxious by the association right now. Four of the Five directors resigned (including Cash / O'Brien / Tugendhat) but one didn't... Alicia Kearns

Just might become more interesting as the story develops in the coming weeks and months

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Menzies quitting the tories and remaining as an independent until the GE.

I've seen nothing in the media about him having to pay for to be released from a locked room/flat? Whats that all about eh?? "bad people" Another honey/sausage trap maybe.

4 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I've seen nothing in the media about him having to pay for to be released from a locked room/flat? Whats that all about eh?? "bad people" Another honey/sausage trap maybe.

It was all over the news last week

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It was all over the news last week

The reports I heard/read were more focused on the source of the cash/ransom. Not the actual reason for needing it, I got the impression it was swept under the rug rather swiftly.

What do we think the chances of the Rwanda bill failing to pass parliament tonight are? I’d love it (kk.jpg) if it fell at the first hurdle after Sunak said it would pass “no ifs, no buts”.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

What do we think the chances of the Rwanda bill failing to pass parliament tonight are? 

Approaching zero chance, the bookies will gladly relieve you of your money :D 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Approaching zero chance, the bookies will gladly relieve you of your money :D 

That’s a shame. It’ll be all eyes on the Lords then.

It would be nice if the BBC opened up commenting on that story but I suspect they are told absolutely not to.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

That’s a shame. It’ll be all eyes on the Lords then.

It would be nice if the BBC opened up commenting on that story but I suspect they are told absolutely not to.

You think the BBC have been told not to report on the Rwanda story? By whom and why?

It's the story of the day in the UK, it would take something monumental for it not to be. The Tories want it talked about, which is why Sunak held a superfantastic Double secret presser this morning

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

You think the BBC have been told not to report on the Rwanda story? By whom and why?

It's the story of the day in the UK, it would take something monumental for it not to be. The Tories want it talked about, which is why Sunak held a superfantastic Double secret presser this morning

They obviously haven’t been told not to report on it as it’s their headline :D

They’ve probably been told not to open up the public comments section as it will be 99.9% (or higher) calling the policy a disgrace and the PM a piece of shit.

• Like 1

UN experts warning airlines not to take part in sending refugees to Rwanda regardless of the outcome of tonight as they'll be complicit in breaching human rights law. I'd love for someone to leak the names of these charters the government are keeping such a close secret.

45 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

UN experts warning airlines not to take part in sending refugees to Rwanda regardless of the outcome of tonight as they'll be complicit in breaching human rights law. I'd love for someone to leak the names of these charters the government are keeping such a close secret.

New airline called The Regal Airforce. 

No doubt the government will pay about 50x the going rate for these flights, and upfront without refund if no flights take off.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

No big deal. Surely everyone has been locked in a sex dungeon and been blackmailed before?! 

• Haha 2

The government are working very hard to keep the airline for the Rwanda flights secret, it would be a shame if it was leaked.

Does beg the question, if it was such a good and safe idea, why the secrecy…

5 hours ago, Genie said:

What do we think the chances of the Rwanda bill failing to pass parliament tonight are? I’d love it (kk.jpg) if it fell at the first hurdle after Sunak said it would pass “no ifs, no buts”.

"We're still fighting  for this bill, and he's  got to go to the House of Lords and get a result..." 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, one_ian_taylor said:

"We're still fighting  for this bill, and he's  got to go to the House of Lords and get a result..." 

Just needs to take it one reading at a time. 

• Like 1

I'm just baffled that it's got this far when it was clear that it was ludicrous from day one

I still can't get over them thinking that it's ok to just pass a law that declares Rwanda safe and that makes it so, Rishi may as well try to ram through a bill declaring him not shit at politics.

Â