The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We might be supporting Israel with military assistance and political cover, but it shouldn’t influence your vote or cause you to protest.

Just vote for more of the same and then wish really really hard for something nice.

Fair. Although, in this instance, a protest vote enables more of the same.

Lose/lose or something. 

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

They just had Police commissioner election where I live, and as I have no idea even after doing a search on that internet, what any of the 3 candidates would do etc. I decided not to bother...then I thought, No, don't be soft, there's a chance to walk to the end of the road, go in the voting place and (using a pencil) kick a Tory. As much as electing a plod boss in nothing to do with National bolitics, if someone is daft enough to associate themselves with that bunch of words removed, then I have a duty to go and try and get rid of them.

My thinking exactly. 

• Like 2

Sunak proclaiming that Houchen being re elected as Tees Valley Mayor is a huge victory. There was a 17% swing to Labour which if replicated in a general election would see the Tories completely wiped out in the North East. 

One of the reasons Houchen has managed to hold on is that he has pretty much completely disassociated himself with the Westminster Tories. Likewise so has Street in the West Mids. 

• Like 1

I don't mind Street in all fairness. I think he represents West Midlands well. The Labour guy made me nervous on transport because he didn't seem keen on trains and Metro and banged on about buses A LOT.

now better buses are of course fine, but a modern metropolis looking to move on in the world really needs light and heavy rail. 

For that reason I did vote for Street. 

Echo the Police Commissioner nonsense. I just voted the Labour guy with zero understanding of what they do or what his policies are. What a pointless thing. Are we just trying to be American for the sake of it? 

In America though the press seem to hold the Police Commissioner accountable.  Ours seem to ignore them and just call for the head of the Chief Constable when anything goes wrong so the public have no awareness. 

I know I should have done some research but I just didn't even think about it till Mrs Sidcow handed me the voting cards. 

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Police Commissioner...I know I should have done some research

Like you say it's a pretty pointless thing, rendered even more so because even if you do research, there's eff all info (at least for Lancashire's one). One sentence statements from each of the 3 candidates was all I could find, and that was not easy.

Gimmick at the moment.

52 minutes ago, blandy said:

Like you say it's a pretty pointless thing, rendered even more so because even if you do research, there's eff all info (at least for Lancashire's one). One sentence statements from each of the 3 candidates was all I could find, and that was not easy.

Gimmick at the moment.

Its a f***ing stupid half measure because no party wants to reform county boundaries.

If you have a Police and Crime Commissioner, its because you don't have a devolved reginal mayoralty or if you do, the mayoralty is split across different police forces areas

Take the Liverpool City Region... we have a PCC for Merseyside because... when they made the Liverpool City Region, they added the Borough of Halton (Runcorn / Widnes) to the county of Merseyside to form the region. The problem with that is, Halton is in Cheshire so the Metro Mayor can't have responsibility for Cheshire Police because most of it doesn't even land on his patch

Across the Way in Manchester because the Greater Manchester Mayor is responsible for Greater Manchester alone and that has a Police Force of its own, the Metro Mayor (Burnham) is the de facto PCC. You only get them where that isn't the case.

Its a half way measure clusterpork. If a Metro Mayor can do the job, having someone do an itty bitty bit of the metro Mayors role because the Metro Mayor can't because you know crossed boundaries then its not really a job is it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

@mjmooney probably fell off his pedant's stool reading that, you tinker.

Not at all. I assumed it to be clever wordplay. 

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not at all. I assumed it to be clever wordplay. 

You're smarter than me.

The architects of the 2008 global financial collapse and former Sunak employer Goldman Sachs just removed caps from bankers' bonuses.

Kwarteng's idiot legacy.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Xann said:

The architects of the 2008 global financial collapse and former Sunak employer Goldman Sachs just removed caps from bankers' bonuses.

Kwarteng's idiot legacy.

Don’t worry, all this money will trickle down to the plebs

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Don’t worry, all this money will trickle down to the plebs

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479vbazvv60a3r0wjeqr

Tories currently -423 seats.

Cant wait for Sunak to tell us it’s not too bad and in fact Labour have under achieved.

What does the Police Commissioner actually do? Genuine Q.

Also, the regional mayor, I don't really get that either.

17 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

What does the Police Commissioner actually do? Genuine Q.

who-knows-david-rose.gif

21 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Also, the regional mayor, I don't really get that either.

Well Tracy Brabin is about to get re-elected for West Yorkshire, and says she's going to bring the buses back into public ownership, so I suppose that's one power they have. 

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well Tracy Brabin is about to get re-elected for West Yorkshire, and says she's going to bring the buses back into public ownership, so I suppose that's one power they have. 

Is that something the mayor can do? I don't understand anything in this world any more.

48 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Is that something the mayor can do? I don't understand anything in this world any more.

Public transport upgrades comes under the regional major. They get a decent budget from central government to spend on schemes.

Â