The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I think the biggest danger when it comes to ULEZ schemes is that with so many councils in so much debt, a tory government might be tempted to sell them to private business to enjoy a quick injection of tax, only for the tax-payer to make a long-term loss.

Chicago, considered the most corrupt city in the USA, sold their parking-zone schemes for short-term gains and long-term losses.

The temptations will be immense.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Remember me, Liz Truss? yes, that's right, I'm the one who caused everyone's mortgages and rents to go double and caused the bank of England to have to spend billions to stop the pensions system collapsing and who caused interest rates to rocket by deciding to borrow 45 billion to give tax cuts to the very wealthy. Anyway, listen here, I'm going to be putting forward an alternative budget to the one Jeremy C-word is doing. No, no, I haven't got any self awareness - why do you ask?

In a way you have to admire the insane confidence of Truss. Destroyed the economy in less time than it takes a lettuce to go bad, yet still thinks that people care what she thinks.

If it was me I would have changed my name and moved to another country that doesn't get news 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Tel Aviv is the new Kyev.

Johnson would’ve killed for the chance to go to Israel and misquote some Merchant of Venice or Othello.

Nailed on to be Shylock (the ultimate historical racial stereotyping)

• Like 1

Glances at Emily Thornberry, six days after the 2019 General Election...

Let’s be clear: this was always going to be the Brexit election, the first genuine single-issue election in 119 years. Back then, in 1900, the Tories were cynically capitalising on their early success in the Boer war to try to win another thumping majority over the Liberals. It was also Labour’s very first election, and we went into it with noble domestic ambitions far distant from the South African veldt.

Provision for the aged poor. Better houses. Useful work for the unemployed. Adequate maintenance for children. The nationalisation of railways. And the establishment of social and economic equality between the sexes. Worthy priorities indeed, but we only won two seats, while the Tories stuck to their single issue and claimed a majority of more than 130.

And if you’re a Labour voter seized with gloom – or a Tory gleaming with complacency – just remember that in 1906, six years after the last single-issue election, the Liberal opposition won a majority of 124, with the Tories losing 246 seats. Why? Because the Tories were totally divided over trade policy and because their “single issue” of the Boer war had turned into a disaster.

Will history repeat itself now as the Tories grapple with the reality of “getting Brexit done”? Well, history has a tendency to do that. And when the next election comes, I’d certainly like Labour to have a leader and team in place with the strategic vision to foresee and exploit Johnson’s failings.

• Like 3

I dont know the answer and have no suggestions, but what can the tories do that would make them electable. Not talking about undoing anything, Brexit etc. What could they do in the next 12 months that might see them win the next GE. New leader? Tax cuts? Help with cost of living?

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I dont know the answer and have no suggestions, but what can the tories do that would make them electable. Not talking about undoing anything, Brexit etc. What could they do in the next 12 months that might see them win the next GE. New leader? Tax cuts? Help with cost of living?

Go full anti-woke and hoover up the loony vote. Somehow get Farage in as leader.

Edited by StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Nothing. The electorate has monumentally turned and stopped listening to them.

When Sunak stood up and tried to portray himself as the “change candidate” that was the giveaway. They focus group everything and they’ve clearly had the feedback that the electorate want change, which they do, so they’re desperately and cynically acting like the last 13 years are nothing to do with them and the next 13 they’ll do things differently while showing nothing in their actions to indicate they’re capable of that.

• Like 3

Â