The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

On 15/05/2023 at 19:09, mjmooney said:

This is all absolutely wonderful. 

For as long as I can remember, it was the Labour Party that was stereotyped as wacky swivel-eyed loons, full of political extremists, but unelectable due to their incessant internal divisions and feuds. The Tories were supposedly the party of stability and sober good management. 

We seem to have passed Through The Looking Glass. 

Fight, fight, fight...

• Like 2

The Conservatives are facing the prospect of three by-elections after being told that MPs nominated for a peerage will have to stand down before the next general election.

Scotland secretary Alister Jack, former culture secretary Nadine Dorries, former Cabinet minister Nigel Adams and president for COP26 Alok Sharma were all nominated by Boris Johnson for seats in the House of Lords in his resignation honours list.

It is understood that they planned to continue as MPs, before standing down and joining the Lords at the next election.

However, the House of Lords Appointments Commission, which vets peerages, has advised the Cabinet Office that this would be “constitutionally improper”, The Times reported, meaning those MPs who wanted to take up their seat in the Lords would have to stand down as an MP.

Ms Dorries, Mr Adams and Mr Sharma are said to be prepared to do so, the paper reported, though a source close to Mr Sharma called it a “totally hypothetical question”.

Torygraph

Alok Sharma's Reading West constituency could prove an interesting by-election. The other two are nailed on safe Tory seats

Alister Jack is thought to not want to resign his seat which is a shame, even though it would most likely result in an SNP victory, it may have shown current Scottish voting intentions a bit

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Torygraph

Alok Sharma's Reading West constituency could prove an interesting by-election. The other two are nailed on safe Tory seats

Alister Jack is thought to not want to resign his seat which is a shame, even though it would most likely result in an SNP victory, it may have shown current Scottish voting intentions a bit

Honestly the way this imploding shit show is unfolding, I’m not sure there is a “nailed on Tory constituency” any more.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Honestly the way this imploding shit show is unfolding, I’m not sure there is a “nailed on Tory constituency” any more.

I'm sure Sutton Coldfield will forever be blue

3 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

I'm sure Sutton Coldfield will forever be blue

I live there. I’m a Labour Party member, so it can tough. There are good people live here though. I live in hope common decency can prevail over political partisanship.🤞

4 hours ago, meregreen said:

I live there. I’m a Labour Party member, so it can tough. There are good people live here though. I live in hope common decency can prevail over political partisanship.🤞

It’s shocking conservatives still get in there especially as their candidate is the abhorrent Andrew Mitchell.

an utterly vile, self serving and arrogant individual

37 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

It’s shocking conservatives still get in there especially as their candidate is the abhorrent Andrew Mitchell.

an utterly vile, self serving and arrogant individual

I saw him at Sutton station very early one morning, skulking along the platform looking decidedly uncomfortable with the riffraff so close to him.

I can't say I think a lot of the man.

• Like 1

Newspaper Editorial...

Deluded Tories are blind to the scale of the disaster to come

It is time for the Conservative Party to get real: it is on course for a landslide defeat of historic proportions, brought about by its own cowardice and incompetence. There is too much delusion in Toryland, too much residual hope that Rishi Sunak will pull off a miracle, too little honest appraisal of public opinion. Poll after poll paints the same picture: yes, the Prime Minister is relatively well liked, but his party isn’t.

The current 17-point gap may narrow: Sir Keir Starmer may overreach, frightening some electors. But barring a major black swan event, it is overwhelmingly likely that Starmer will be PM next year, quite possibly without even needing the support of other Left-wing parties. There will be tactical voting, and he may win the most votes even in England, as Tony Blair did in 1997 and 2001. He will wield immense power.

Why am I so pessimistic? The Tories have failed in almost every way, and repeatedly betrayed their electorate, in wanton, even occasionally gleeful, fashion. They don’t seem to believe in conservatism any longer, and all of their old-anti-Labour arguments now lack credibility. Even their most ardent supporters cannot list more than a tiny number of successes, or point to any reason other than “Labour will be even worse” for continuing to back them. Under such circumstances, why wouldn’t floating voters opt to give the other lot a chance?

Which left wing rag wrote this?

Spoiler

Telegraph and written by Allister Heath, Editor of the Sunday Telegraph. He does go on to argue they should go further to the right but that opening set of paragraphs is quite the announcement

• Like 1

It would have been nice if after he repeated the same thing twice she drew on the fact waiting lists are getting longer due to strikes, inflation isn’t coming down, the boats are coming more than ever, the economy is miles behind many others and just about avoiding recession and we’re paying £20b a month on debt interest alone.

Rather than amusing (but pointless) questions about whether losing 1000 seats hurts more than losing a leadership context last year.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

It would have been nice if after he repeated the same thing twice she drew on the fact waiting lists are getting longer due to strikes, inflation isn’t coming down, the boats are coming more than ever, the economy is miles behind many others and just about avoiding recession and we’re paying £20b a month on debt interest alone.

Rather than amusing (but pointless) questions about whether losing 1000 seats hurts more than losing a leadership context last year.

Beth RIgby is all about Beth Rigby and little else

• Like 1

Â