The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

One of our local 'small' hospitals has a 'minor injuries clinic', but insists it has 'NO A&E'. Which requires some fine judgement on the part of the prospective patient. 

I took my son to one of the minor injuries clinics after a fall at school, waited 2 hours to see someone and got told they can't treat him and to go to the A&E instead. Waited 4 hours there to be told to go home and. Come back if he gets worse. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

One of our local 'small' hospitals has a 'minor injuries clinic', but insists it has 'NO A&E'. Which requires some fine judgement on the part of the prospective patient. 

I understand that a lot of A&E departments are being renamed, as their scope is broadened, especially in London where they are particularly overwhelmed.

6 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I understand that a lot of A&E departments are being renamed, as their scope is broadened, especially in London where they are particularly overwhelmed.

I’d love to see a breakdown of cases they have to see which could/should be addressed by a GP. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

The local minor injuries unit here is a godsend tbh. Many issues can be sorted by a nurse / x-ray.

I had a burn on my hand that started to get infected. Popped to minor injuries, nurse took a look, grabbed me some antibiotics and I was all sorted. I also didn’t have pay the prescription charge either, so saved me about £10 and a world of pain of trying to see my GP.

Why did you not get charged for the prescription cost? 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Isn’t that what A&E is supposed to be for? Critical life threatening stuff? I know that’s the direction you are given in Australia as well. 

It seems like there are not enough medical centres in the UK and too many people are using A&E when they should be leaving it for people who need immediate life saving medical care. 

No, A&E is not supposed to be solely for life threatening situations. That would be silly. 

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Winner, bastards make me pay every time.

Not sure if they have a pharmacy there? Or maybe I was lucky and they couldn’t be arsed to sort a prescription.

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Isn’t that what A&E is supposed to be for? Critical life threatening stuff? I know that’s the direction you are given in Australia as well. 

It seems like there are not enough medical centres in the UK and too many people are using A&E when they should be leaving it for people who need immediate life saving medical care. 

Well no. The clue is in “accident”.
If I break my leg or split my head open then I’m not going to die but I can’t just put a cold compress on it and be ok. I need to go to hospital

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If I break my leg or split my head open then I’m not going to die but I can’t just put a cold compress on it and be ok. I need to go to hospital

Plus, if you ever dial 111 then the advice is always "go to A&E".

I'm guessing because then one time that a child has an innocuous bang on the head and they don't tell them to get it checked, is the time that the child dies from a brain haemorrhage and they get sued.

There must be thousands of kids per year who twenty years ago would have been told "keep an eye on him and see how he is in the morning" who are now in A&E for five hours on a Saturday evening. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

In Australia we have ‘Urgent Care’ Medical Centres where you can go for stuff like that so you don’t go to the A&E and bed block a car crash victim etc. 

We have an urgent care centre locally. It shuts at 7pm, tough luck if you've been there waiting for hours.

They also seem to be the only place still enforcing social distancing, so you might turn up with an urgent healthcare problem and be forced to wait outside until they're ready. 

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We have an urgent care centre locally. It shuts at 7pm, tough luck if you've been there waiting for hours.

They also seem to be the only place still enforcing social distancing, so you might turn up with an urgent healthcare problem and be forced to wait outside until they're ready. 

I wonder if the people enforcing social distancing would accept it being applied to them in a shop, or the hairdressers etc? 

There’s absolutely no point in applying it in just 1 place when everyone is mixing 99% of the time

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

No, A&E is not supposed to be solely for life threatening situations. That would be silly. 

Agree, where would children with saucepans stuck on their heads go if so 

• Haha 2

Â