The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Bev has a Twitter tick, she's verified. A verified absolute nobody. Claims to be a writer and broadcaster, reading between the lines on her website, her broadcasting experience is phoning up talk radio stations and the writing?... well that appears to be a blog on substack.

To think that the WHO actually has control of the parliamentary standards ctte, the make-up of which is 4 Tories, 2 Labour (one of whom is Chris Bryant - The Chair) and 1 SNP plus 7 independent lay members is just mentalist thoughts

Oh for sure. I was just making a bad joke about the initialism WHO, and enjoying an imaginary exchange where Bev's followers/acolytes are asking "Who is ot Bev?" and her replying "WHO is?!" etc etc, to much confusion. 

I'll  shut up now. It has been a challenging  week

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Oh for sure. I was just making a bad joke about the initialism WHO, and enjoying an imaginary exchange where Bev's followers/acolytes are asking "Who is ot Bev?" and her replying "WHO is?!" etc etc, to much confusion. 

I'll  shut up now. It has been a challenging  week

Mine was just a comment, sort of expanding on what you said really

21 hours ago, Genie said:

A few weeks ago we had our then PM saying we needed to relax rules on immigration to fill the vacancies and get the economy moving.

Fast forward and we’re treating people of working age who turn up here and want to settle like animals.

These clowns we have running the country wouldn’t know a solution to a problem if it slapped them round the face.

Too preoccupied pandering to their racist voters to do what’s right.

Its not that straight forward though is it. Yes we need migrants to fill the jobs but we also need proper control of our borders. Theres also a major housing crisis in this country. Since the Tory's have been in power there has been a lack of social houses being built. Was watching the commons debate on private landlords. Its really shocking what is happening and theres going to be so many more unlawful section 21s served unless the govt do something about that. Its a mess! 

15 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Was watching the commons debate on private landlords. Its really shocking what is happening and theres going to be so many more unlawful section 21s served unless the govt do something about that. Its a mess! 

What is happening?

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It’s not that straight forward though is it. Yes we need migrants to fill the jobs but we also need proper control of our borders. Theres also a major housing crisis in this country. Since the Tory's have been in power there has been a lack of social houses being built. Was watching the commons debate on private landlords. It’s really shocking what is happening and theres going to be so many more unlawful section 21s served unless the govt do something about that. It’s a mess! 

As far as I am aware everyone is getting picked up and moved to processing facilities, so we do have control of the border. Nobody is just strolling in unvetted.

We also need migrants to get the potential out of the economy. The problem is “we” have been conditioned to think migrants = bad, if they arrived on a boat then they are really bad. This puts our leaders in a tricky position (of their own making). Clearly not knowing what to do with them is the reason for the current crisis. 4% of claims being processed in a year.

Whoever comes to the UK to work under the supposedly relaxed visa requirements is going to need somewhere to live. We need people to come here.

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

What is happening?

Not sure of the latest information but s.21 evictions were an option for landlords to remove tenants from properties on fixed terms or rolling basis without any need to justify it, so long as it was done in the proper way. There was confirmation that it was going to be removed but I understand now that it is remaining - to be honest not entirely sure why (save it is a very pro-landlord piece of law). 

Sadly @PaulC whilst it may be "unethical" it wouldn't technically be illegal. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Is this the very definition of desperate PR stunt?

He just can't  help himself. He loves playing dress up. He's  my mum's  local MP. One day she tries to go into  the local shop - loads of security. Guess who's manning the till... Apparently very little warning and a load of hassle for the shop

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Risso said:

They basically sell teak tree saplings in Ghana, and promise colossal returns in 10 years time when  the trees are harvested. For a £50K investment they promise returns of £400K and above. No audited accounts or anything obviously, and Bridgen's recommendation is used as a selling tool. Not for me, sorry.

Oh dear.  They are also claiming to be a force for good in climate change. Saying that planting trees is by far the cheapest and most effective way to tackle the climate crisis, "according to scientists" 

And that it is "overwhelmingly more powerful than all of the other climate change solutions proposed.”

I think planting more trees is great obviously, and done correctly would definitely help but this smacks of enormous exaggeration to me.  Carry on polluting, we'll plant a load of trees and all is good again. 

I've often wondered about how companies run these carbon offset schemes. 

I'm not saying these people are crooked but I'd bet my bottom dollar there are companies who clear rainforests to plant cash crop trees for profit and get it funded by big corporations buying cardon offsets. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, one_ian_taylor said:

He just can't  help himself. He loves playing dress up. He's  my mum's  local MP. One day she tries to go into  the local shop - loads of security. Guess who's manning the till... Apparently very little warning and a load of hassle for the shop

Bet loads of his mates came in and had fraudulent purchases written off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Not sure of the latest information but s.21 evictions were an option for landlords to remove tenants from properties on fixed terms or rolling basis without any need to justify it, so long as it was done in the proper way. There was confirmation that it was going to be removed but I understand now that it is remaining - to be honest not entirely sure why (save it is a very pro-landlord piece of law). 

Sadly @PaulC whilst it may be "unethical" it wouldn't technically be illegal. 

Whar is illegal is when landlords raise the rent by double or treble the amount and when tenants try to negotiate they are slapped with  s21 on the grounds that the landlord has decided to move into the property when they have no intention of doing so. This type of thing is going on as landlords realise they can make more money in short term let's or holiday homes.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

As far as I am aware everyone is getting picked up and moved to processing facilities, so we do have control of the border. Nobody is just strolling in unvetted.

We also need migrants to get the potential out of the economy. The problem is “we” have been conditioned to think migrants = bad, if they arrived on a boat then they are really bad. This puts our leaders in a tricky position (of their own making). Clearly not knowing what to do with them is the reason for the current crisis. 4% of claims being processed in a year.

Whoever comes to the UK to work under the supposedly relaxed visa requirements is going to need somewhere to live. We need people to come here.

It's chaotic though and not the way it should be done.  Do you think its sustainable the way it is. We have to sensible discussions about it without name calling if people have concerns. 

• Like 1

Just now, PaulC said:

It's chaotic though and not the way it should be done.  Do you think its sustainable the way it is. We have to sensible discussions about it without name calling if people have concerns. 

The current way is an absolute shit show. There needs to be another way I agree. The government knows lots of things that would stop it but choose not to. 

They could allow people to apply before travelling (like Ukrainians, HK etc can do). That will stop the people travelling across the channel.

I can’t believe we’re so shit at it, it must be political direction to go slow and to make the process as horrible as possible for those applying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

The current way is an absolute shit show. There needs to be another way I agree. The government knows lots of things that would stop it but choose not to. 

They could allow people to apply before travelling (like Ukrainians, HK etc can do). That will stop the people travelling across the channel.

I can’t believe we’re so shit at it, it must be political direction to go slow and to make the process as horrible as possible for those applying.

Yes the government are An absolute joke. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Whar is illegal is when landlords raise the rent by double or treble the amount and when tenants try to negotiate they are slapped with  s21 on the grounds that the landlord has decided to move into the property when they have no intention of doing so. This type of thing is going on as landlords realise they can make more money in short term let's or holiday homes.

Immoral and unethical? Absolutely.

Illegal? Sadly not. Once the agreement is up, there’s no obligation to offer it at the same, or similar price. This is why there is the need to remove s.21 evictions, won’t happen though as it’s an easy way to make more money. 

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

I'm sure this happens but not all landlords are this short sighted. Completely removing section 21 and giving landlords no feasible way to get ownership of a house back will just remove more houses from the social housing section of the market, at least in places like Birmingham. 

There should be a set frame work with time scales given for the landlords and tenants. Tenant leaves a house, say 6-12 months after the landlord requests it. And other rules to protect them from bad landlords and landlords from bad tenants. 

To me it seems the government is trying to move the responsibility for their lack of building social housing onto the private housing rental market. It's easy for people to then jump on the bandwagon of 'all private landlords are bad' so let's take away their hard earned capital and their rent based income. 

God help any remainer who's a labour voting cyclist and a landlord, burn him , he's a plant based witch.

Â