The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

22 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

This is great, because this is an IEA guy and one of Truss’s biggest cheerleaders. If she loses the support of these guys then what does she have left?

Seems to be a consensus building that the u-turn is coming:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, choffer said:

Seems to be a consensus building that the u-turn is coming:

They don't really have a choice. The markets have (relatively) stabilised on the expectation of a u-turn.

If that u-turn doesn't come there will be absolute meltdown.

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

They spent 2 weeks saying they had this amazing plan when they had nothing. Absolutely unbelievable

They had something it just wasn't fit for purpose. Funny how we are being told to ignore the experts on the financial melt down,  by the same  cretins that dismissed Brexit concerns...... from other experts. 

Edited by tinker

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

They spent 2 weeks saying they had this amazing plan when they had nothing. Absolutely unbelievable

I think they did have a plan, that might have “worked” (ie boosted GDP growth, whether or not you agree with the redistributive / social consequences) in different circumstances, but it was a crazy time to try it, and a really poor execution, especially without any popular mandate.

I also think these IEA types are too influenced by the US, which has the enormous advantage of holding the world reserve currency, and so has much more leeway to do stuff like this without getting annihilated by the markets.

The UK is too small to copy the US, and too big to copy Singapore. Pragmatists get this and ideologues don’t.

A positive consequence may be that it rolls the ground for Starmer to rethink Brexit, as more and more people will be desperate for anything that helps get the economy under control.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

They had something it just wasn't fit for purpose. Funny how we are being told to ignore the experts on the financial melt down,  by the same  cretins that dismissed Brexit concerns...... from other experts. 

What was it going to be? 

I can only assume the plan was 1) Borrow a load of money so they could 2) slash taxes which 3) cause a massive boom to the economy which 4) pays off the huge loans.

Terrible idea especially considering inflation is already raging and this would make it worse. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

The lowest they've ever dropped was 17%, in the May years. But at the same time there was Farage Corp, Inc on 26% for them to swallow back up.

Reform, the current equivalent are on 3%.

Surely that was European election voting intention though?  I’ve haven’t seen the Tories below 30s for Westminster voting intention in yonks.

24 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Surely that was European election voting intention though?  I’ve haven’t seen the Tories below 30s for Westminster voting intention in yonks.

Indeed - my point was less "look how low it is" and more "where on earth do they claw it back from?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Would love to see the Lib Dems overtake them 

At this rate the greens will overtake them, although I think I’m more surprised that 9% of people have a favourable view of her. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cyrusr said:

At this rate the greens will overtake them, although I think I’m more surprised that 9% of people have a favourable view of her. 

I though that. How on earth can nearly 1 in 10 people possibly think she's great? 

Â