The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 minute ago, Nicho said:

I agree with the premise of making decisions based on circumstance and evidence, it’s clearly sensible.

However like the Boris u-turns, they are a political party with an ethos and madates based upon campaigns. Sometimes I think they should stick to initial decisions, own what you are, reap the results.

Not change because it’s not a popular decision because then what you stand for is whatever way the wind is blowing. 

Boris is a special case because he has multiple examples of doing the opposite of all the advice, only to then cave under the pressure and reverse it.

On things like tax or benefits I think changing their mind based on new information should be welcomed. 

Just now, Genie said:

Boris is a special case because he has multiple examples of doing the opposite of all the advice, only to then cave under the pressure and reverse it.

On things like tax or benefits I think changing their mind based on new information should be welcomed. 

I’m not saying it’s not welcomed.

It’s more if you don’t believe in helping poor people, support nhs, higher business tax ect ect then don’t. Wolf in sheeps clothing and all that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Oh you! 

@Xela - where's that little gay, pink emoticon when you finally need it? :( I love that guy.

I think they have been banished from the internet now

Spoiler

Go on then...

t1527.gif

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If I fainted and one of these two rushed over to help me I'd be pretty sure they'd bill me for it and very concerned that I'd wake up without my watch.

Unless its a rolex sunak aint touching it

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Rishi is being criticised for doing a U-turn on VAT energy bills.

It reveals he's not politically astute - he should have made it his big loss-leader and then planned to increase another tax, if and when he got the nod.

6 hours ago, Straggler said:

Rishi is being accused of making a U-turn by people supporting ex Liberal democrat, remain voting Truss.  

I really wish the bar wasn't so low.

Not sure that a gradual changing of views over years is something that can be characterized as a U turn, tbh.

As others have said, there's nothing wrong with changing your opinion, the problem is knee jerk changes, especially due to just blindly following public opinion.

Criticising politicians whenever they change their opinion, even when it is a gradual changing of views over a long time, or based on new information, is a great way to encourage politicians to become even more entrenched in their views and resistant to change. That should be the opposite of what we want.

Playing someone's words back decades later shouldn't be considered some sort of "gotcha", it's ludicrous, tabloidesque politics.

• Like 1

Latest whispers are that Dorries gets parachuted into the House of Lords, and Johnson takes her seat (majority, 24,000) to save the ignominy of being booted out in Uxbridge.

I can think of at least three logistical problems that stop it working, but if (as is suggested) he's trying to work out a way back, I guess he'll need a new seat sooner or later.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Not sure that a gradual changing of views over years is something that can be characterized as a U turn, tbh.

As others have said, there's nothing wrong with changing your opinion, the problem is knee jerk changes, especially due to just blindly following public opinion.

Criticising politicians whenever they change their opinion, even when it is a gradual changing of views over a long time, or based on new information, is a great way to encourage politicians to become even more entrenched in their views and resistant to change. That should be the opposite of what we want.

Playing someone's words back decades later shouldn't be considered some sort of "gotcha", it's ludicrous, tabloidesque politics.

Not the point I was making at all. I was simply pointing out that one person who has changed their mind was criticising the other for changing their mind. It is the hypocrisy of the pair of them I find ridiculous.

I totally agree with the idea of changing your mind as new evidence becomes available. That they are both pointing at the other and presenting changing opinions as a weakness is stupid as they hurl stones from their glass houses.

I would also contend that the reasons that both have for flitting between opinions is more about personal advancement than wanting the best thing for the country, but that is another conversation.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Latest whispers are that Dorries gets parachuted into the House of Lords, and Johnson takes her seat (majority, 24,000) to save the ignominy of being booted out in Uxbridge.

I can think of at least three logistical problems that stop it working, but if (as is suggested) he's trying to work out a way back, I guess he'll need a new seat sooner or later.

I don’t think he will. He’s been PM now and can get better paid jobs elsewhere. I think literally the only thing that would draw him back would be sheer pride, which is possible I agree. However, he can act all high and mighty from the sides and make a killing.

If he isn’t booted out as an MP beforehand I suspect he won’t stand at the next general election.

Latest YouGov poll

First up…

In general, to what extent do you support or oppose the idea of workers taking industrial action (ie going on strike) to protest their employment situation, such as pay, pensions, or working conditions?

Strongly support
📊 Live results from the Daily Chat community
  • Strongly support

61%
  • Tend to support

18%
  • Tend to oppose

11%
  • Strongly oppose

10%
  • Not sure / Prefer not to say

1%
These results are live, unweighted and not representative of the population.

80% supporting union action.

Which of the following comes closest to your view on unions…?

They should be allowed to operate freely 
📊 Live results
  • They should be banned completely

3%
  • They should not be banned but should have stricter restrictions on them

23%
  • They should be allowed to operate freely 

72%
  • Other

2%
  • Not sure

0%