The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No one talking about Tom Tugendhat. 

I don't know much about him other than he was a remainer and his Afghanistan speech in Parliament.  I'm inclined to be keener on anyone who has a softer stance on Europe. 

He's got absolutely no chance. He's got dual French citizenship (His wife is French) and is a former EU Vice-President

1 hour ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

I can't believe anyone still thinks low tax small state is a viable program for a functioning country in the 21st century

Depends who you want it to function for.

It certainly won't function that well for anyone in poor health with no PMI.

Of the moderates - I think Penny Mordant has the best chance.

A bit worrying that whilst I don't think any of the extreme right wing  loonies will win this time around - they might do in the next few years.

Having called in the navy to police the channel, in order to sound tough - Priti Patel has only gone and made the whole thing safer and more attractive for small boats because the navy are good at what they do and have an incentive to save lives rather than shoot at refugees. What a fookin clown show. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

Of the moderates - I think Penny Mordant has the best chance.

A bit worrying that whilst I don't think any of the extreme right wing  loonies will win this time around - they might do in the next few years.

How are you judging her as a moderate? Genuine question as the only real policy issue I know about her is, Brexiteer. There’s talk of her being pro-Trans but that’s just based on her annoying the hell out of mumsnet readers by not answering questions on the subject. If she gets close enough to Truss, expect Truss to use that against her.

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

There’s talk of her being pro-Trans but that’s just based on her annoying the hell out of mumsnet readers by not answering questions on the subject. 

Hahahah. Bicks reads Mumsnet. 

I'm off to see if I can find posts on there by someone called Bickerina. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, bickster said:

How are you judging her as a moderate? Genuine question as the only real policy issue I know about her is, Brexiteer. There’s talk of her being pro-Trans but that’s just based on her annoying the hell out of mumsnet readers by not answering questions on the subject. If she gets close enough to Truss, expect Truss to use that against her.

Well I'm judging her as moderate v  some on the other more extreme candidates Braveman, badenoch.

As always moderate / right / left is subjective .

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well I'm judging her as moderate v  some on the other more extreme candidates Braveman, badenoch.

As always moderate / right / left is subjective .

That’s not really an answer. I was thinking more what has she said or done to make you think she’s a moderate? See I tried to do a bit of reading around her and couldn’t find her opinions on anything but Brexit and that people who vandalise war memorials should be put in a boot camp run by the armed forces. Apart from that I found absolutely nothing of any substance. I also find that a little strange

The audio is pretty gross. You have to wonder why this is only coming to light now that Boris Weinstein is leaving in disgrace, rather than at any other point in the last ten years or so.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

That’s not really an answer. I was thinking more what has she said or done to make you think she’s a moderate? See I tried to do a bit of reading around her and couldn’t find her opinions on anything but Brexit and that people who vandalise war memorials should be put in a boot camp run by the armed forces. Apart from that I found absolutely nothing of any substance. I also find that a little strange

If you lined the current candidates up left to right - you'd have Hunt on the left - badenoch on the right. Penny somewhere in the middle imo.

Of course people shift around when actually in power so it's not a precise science.

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

The audio is pretty gross. You have to wonder why this is only coming to light now that Boris Weinstein is leaving in disgrace, rather than at any other point in the last ten years or so.

👍🏻

Her own motivations at least

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

My takeaway from that, apart from how the right wing media have been happy to sit on his scandals for years, is how differently he speaks in private. This is the real Alexander De Pfeffel Johnson. The ruffled hair, "blitz spirit and some shite in latin" Boris mask is off there.

It's the most coherent I've ever heard him sound

12 hours ago, hippo said:

Depends who you want it to function for.

It certainly won't function that well for anyone in poor health with no PMI.

Yep, or anyone who:

- cares about fighting climate change

- uses infrastructure of any kind

- wants the Police to investigate crimes; fire service to operate; ambulances to turn up

- thinks education or housing is a right

- wants protection from tech billionaires

- is concerned about infotech and biotech revolutions eliminating entire swathes of the job market

Etc etc

• Like 2

Let's not forget the only reason Sunak got to roleplay as chancellor for a couple of years is that he was a weak and pliable backbencher willing to let Cummings and Johnson fill his team with their preferred candidates while Javid wouldn't tolerate it.

I don't see what he has going for him at all, he's complicit in the law breaking, he's an out of touch billionaire who comes across incredibly poorly when interviewed. He was a fairly unpopular chancellor as soon as his "give away loads of money" remit was over.

He's got a lot of cash to poor into slick campaign materials, is that it?

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Â