The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s actually amazing, everything he said in the commons today you could easily and directly attribute to the government, and he kept a straight face which was actually impressive.

Well quite, one of the things he said was...

"A lack of scrutiny and oversight across highways including dysfunctional management practices, no coherent business plan and the awarding of dubious contracts."

How he kept a straight face in that sentence beggars belief.

On the other hand, a lot of what he said was very true too, the stuff about poor governance, an environment of intimidation, not applying normal professional standards, failing to meet it's statutory and managerial responsibilities.... all very true just from personal experience in my own sector. In fact a lot of that was so brazen, it was in plain sight. Even their responses to FOI requests were beyond reason and illegal. Illegal use of CCTV was another. They just wouldn't listen when you told them their behaviour was illegal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I think we can all agree with Starmer, now is not the time to be criticising the tories.

He did really well doing just that in the Questions thing in Parliament today. I don't get why he's so...meh on this council thing.

I suppose the problem is that (from Labour's perspective) if it turns out that Chippy Tits & Co. were to have been bribing, syphoning and stuff, that "defending" a council that's potentially rotten through is a really bad look. Further the Gov't hasn't taken over the running of it, they've not gone so far as that.

I suspect that Labour HQ may have a bit of a notion about some of the deeper stuff that people suspect has gone on. I've heard stuff, which I won't write down for obvious reasons, but fairly wide financial shenanigans and corruption are potentially to be revealed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

He did really well doing just that in the Questions thing in Parliament today. I don't get why he's so...meh on this council thing.

I suppose the problem is that (from Labour's perspective) if it turns out that Chippy Tits & Co. were to have been bribing, syphoning and stuff, that "defending" a council that's potentially rotten through is a really bad look. Further the Gov't hasn't taken over the running of it, they've not gone so far as that.

I suspect that Labour HQ may have a bit of a notion about some of the deeper stuff that people suspect has gone on. I've heard stuff, which I won't write down for obvious reasons, but fairly wide financial shenanigans and corruption are potentially to be revealed.

Given how odd it looked at the time, is there a suggestion that the pulling of the mayor shortlist is likely to have something to do with it all as well?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

is there a suggestion that the pulling of the mayor shortlist is likely to have something to do with it

There's definitely a suspicion. How valid it is I wouldn't like to say. But it has the look of that.

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Given how odd it looked at the time, is there a suggestion that the pulling of the mayor shortlist is likely to have something to do with it all as well?

Nothing has been stated to that effect that I'm aware of but all three of the former candidates can be linked in some way to Chippy Tits. Anne O'Byrne, former Cabinet member, Wendy Simon, acting Mayor and Cabinet Member and Anna Rothery, current Lord Mayor.

I posted in the Labour thread the other day, that I thought that is exactly why Labour rejected all three. It's also no concidence IMO that the two new candidates are rather newer Councillors than you'd expect to be running for Mayor

It really doesn't take much to read between those lines I don't think

Anyway, Tories...

Consultants Deloitte Paid To Draft Ministers’ Parliamentary Answers On Test And Trace

Critics say small print in contracts worth £323m shows firm is "marking its own homework" and civil service impartiality is being undermined.

Private firm Deloitte is receiving taxpayer cash to help ministers to draft parliamentary answers and media “lines to take” to defend the Test and Trace programme, HuffPost UK can reveal.

The unprecedented role for the consultancy giant is part of a series of contracts worth £323m to “support” the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) and the National Testing Programme run by Baroness Dido Harding’s service.

Four different contracts show that Test and Trace has been using Deloitte for “general management consultancy services” ranging from building testing capacity to stockpiling and logistics oversight.

But buried within the contracts are details of help provided with PR and communications, with a requirement to “draft and respond to parliamentary questions, Freedom of Information requests, media queries and other reactive requests” and to “support lines to take and Q&A’s in anticipation of queries”.

Traditionally Whitehall civil servants draft answers to parliamentary questions from MPs, as well as statutory Freedom of Information requests.

Similarly, “lines to take” – often a defensive reaction to criticism of a particular policy – are normally drafted within government by officials.

Critics claimed that Deloitte could be “marking its own homework” when MPs asked questions about Test and Trace....

Huff Post

• Sad 1

So a woman claims that she had a four year affair with the Mayor of London/Prime Minister, and it's a matter of public record that she's received over £100,000 of public money - that's a big story right? I'm sure that the nation's media will be on it and that if it's found to be true, a resignation would be expected to follow and quite possibly criminal charges.

And yet for some reason I can't seem to find anything about it on the BBC, either online or on TV. That's odd, perhaps they're saving it up for a one hour special at prime time tonight. That must be it. Yeah.

Does anyone remember consequence? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So a woman claims that she had a four year affair with the Mayor of London/Prime Minister, and it's a matter of public record that she's received over £100,000 of public money - that's a big story right? I'm sure that the nation's media will be on it and that if it's found to be true, a resignation would be expected to follow and quite possibly criminal charges.

And yet for some reason I can't seem to find anything about it on the BBC, either online or on TV. That's odd, perhaps they're saving it up for a one hour special at prime time tonight. That must be it. Yeah.

Liverpool says Hi

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The closest the BBC get is including the Mirror front page in their paper roundup which has the story.

None of the other papers seem to have gone with it either.

Â