Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

I hate to say it because I really didn't like his behaviour last season, but perhaps the most sensible thing to do now would be to get Pearson in and start prepping for Championship football immediately.

I hoped the Garde experiment would work, but it hasn't and it looks as if he'll be taking a squad completely void of confidence into a league which he has absolutely no knowledge/experience of.  It's time to stop gambling/experimenting with our great club and do what's right.

• Like 3

Usually you have to try and strive to keep players from leaving when you're relegated. It's the opposite for us, we have to get rid of as many as possible. This bunch of players cannot play together. They're duds, they have no interest in working for each other, no interest in running that extra bit, no interest in even trying to turn things around. They would get mauled by harder working players in the Championship. It's scary, we have to build an entire new team suited for that league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nobler said:

Usually you have to try and strive to keep players from leaving when you're relegated. It's the opposite for us, we have to get rid of as many as possible. This bunch of players cannot play together. They're duds, they have no interest in working for each other, no interest in running that extra bit, no interest in even trying to turn things around. They would get mauled by harder working players in the Championship. It's scary, we have to build an entire new team suited for that league.

Edit.

Edited by AVTuco

It really isn't rocket science. I genuinely don't understand how there is this much anger at surprise at this stage of the season. Not just the last five years but even if you take this season in isolation it was always incredibly likely this was going to happen.

This isn't a told you so reply, I wish I was wrong, but it was plainly obvious this was going to happen so my screaming, shouting and anger came much earlier in the season. I'm firmly in the acceptance stage. 

I said on September 1st we hadn't recruited well enough. I watched a every game and said Sherwood was not the biggest problem. I said in October this squad was living up to my fears and would not win another game without new players. I said in November that Garde might get a few draws but neither he, or anyone else, could get this team up the league. It's been painfully obvious for months and months. That's ignoring the fact we've been decreasing our quality and investment year on year.

Fox said Sherwood wasn't getting enough from the players. I'd love to know if he's deluded enough to still think this. This isn't defending Sherwood, this is attacking our squad quality and, in turn, Lerner's investments. Sherwood had 10 games and got 4pts against arguably harder teams, Garde has had 9 games and still only 4pts. It shows that drawing conclusions on who is a better manager is pointless from this bunch of players. They aren't good enough, never will be.

If you're genuinely shocked at the current state of affairs then what have you been watching?! Is your love of Aston Villa that blinding? There was songs today against Lerner but they should have started when the last transfer window closed.

Quite obviously we're down. There is no point buying new players this window, we might as well save the cash and then use it to replace any departures we either chose, or are forced in to, in the summer. Money will remain tight, so save every penny now, see out the season and see if we can rebuild in the Championship. As it stands I think we have a lower Playoff quality squad. And keeping players like Gabby and Gestede would be a nightmare in this division but may prove very useful in the Championship. Our biggest problems lie in midfield - quality (Veretout perhaps) will leave and Gana, Gil, Traore and Bacuna will not cope either mentally and/or physically.

For what it's worth I do think we will beat the lowest ever total, even if just narrowly. I doubt we'll get to 20 points though. But without a few players (which I've said above I don't think it's actually worth buying) then we will not win another game this season unless it is a complete fluke of a goal towards the end of a game.

But I'll still be back at VP next season. There is nothing that Lerner can do that will make me give up on Villa, even if I have given up on our team. We could be in League 2 and I'd still have my season ticket. More fool me perhaps.

Unfortunately I believe this is just the start of more bad times to come.  We have not reached the bottom of our pit if Lerner stays.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nobler said:

Indeed. A couple of months ago I was worried about losing players but there's probably only about 4 I even care about keeping now - Amavi, Gil, Veretout and Ayew.

• Like 2

Pre-season has started as far as I'm concerned. If Garde isn't the guy then **** him off now, no point having whomever is going to be at the helm missing a transfer window. If players aren't good enough or aren't going to be around put them up for sale now. If there are players we want to bring through, a system we want to implement start doing it now. Any and all signings should be with a view to if they are going to be good for us next season, I don't want to see any loans unless there is a realistic option to buy. Same goes for us it's over so deal with it, if you're going to go along then leave the venting for on here and at the pub. VP is toxic on and off the pitch and it's got to stop.

We have got eight months and two transfer windows to get our shit together, if we don't next season we'll be bottom half for definite with a possibility of the unthinkable.

Edited by flamingsombrero
  • Like 2

I think the players will well and truly give up after that defeat and just go through the motions for the rest of the season. I even expect Remi/Fox or whoever runs this sinking ship to approach the rest of the season with this plan. They might even do a bit of preparation in January by buying some players ready for the championship, however if the last few years are anything to go by in terms of preparation, I doubt it. After todays result and watching the players playing as well as their general demeanour, I think they are finished, no one wants to be there. Sunderland weren't much better, it was a poor game of football, however they bullied a result out of the game. 

I don't envy Remi at this point, even if he/they have accepted we are down (which i think they have judging by the start of the statements to the media http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35211325), what is the best way to go forward? Chuck the kids in every week? Give some of the prospects some development time? The players who are there who aren't performing or are simply not good enough, send them to the reserves or get them sold. Maybe get them prepared for the championship where they might do well or gain some experience? 

I think we might see one or two jump ship if any offers come in this month. Gil being one (I could see the 'wtf am I doing here' look in his eyes as he stumbled off the pitch). Even though he scored today and as much as he has proved to be a neat player with a lot of potential, he really got bullied off the ball today, he had no physical presence and basically got pushed over all the time. It doesn't help that not many of these that were fouls were given, but still, I think a real area of weakness, as well as all the other abundance of weakness, is in our physicality, not enough players who can win the physical battles or they lose the ball too easily. Anyway, sorry to single out a strong player (for this team) when there are so many more that deserve to have their wages stopped. Just ramblin' on....

we're done and dusted.

the players are all poor, all three goals today were totally preventable with a little bit of concentration and interest

cannot see anyway back for this squad and fear we'll sink much further than just the championship.

have just taken motd off series link and will be cancelling avtv.

the club doesn't deserve the fans. I feel bad for those having travelled today.

Ask the players whether they want to be here in the championship next season, if they do then keep them, if they don't then bin them for as much as possible in Jan whilst we can still get a decent price and not activate unfavourable release clauses

21 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Indeed. A couple of months ago I was worried about losing players but there's probably only about 4 I even care about keeping now - Amavi, Gil, Veretout and Ayew.

I think Amavi will be the only one to stay, due to his injury. I'd imagine Veretout going back to France, Gil going to La Liga and Ayew, if he continues to perform, staying in the premier league. 

I think the only way forward now is to write this abysmal disgrace of a season off and focus on winning the Championship next season. I do not agree that we will struggle down there provided the club starts now to build a strong team capable of coming straight back up.

I am not concerned by any team down there. Yes they will be more physical games but with a few of the right additions and ridding ourselves of some of these charlatans we can at least give it a good go down there.

If so Remi will have 2 transfer windows, 18 games and a full pre season to prepare for it.

That should be plenty to weed out the rubbish, of which there is a plenty from the squad and buy some players who can take that division by storm.

As a fan i am completely focused now on a great promotion season!

16 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

have just taken motd off series link and will be cancelling avtv.

You mean you have been watching MOTD until now? What on earth for? I stopped watching it about 4 years ago. I can't bring myself to watch any highlights of our dreadful club and haven't been able to for a very long time. So depressing.

• Like 1

Just dont give the club any of your money until they start showing some ambition. That means not going to games buying any merchandise from the shop, unfollow them on fb and twitter. Everything to show we despise Lerner and that other clown fox.

• Like 1

Â