England v Switzerland

andykeenan

Meh, a goal's a goal. Shame he didn't used to take penalties as his record would be even more impressive.

How poor are Switzerland? When the groups were drawn there seemed to be a bit of talk about how we might struggle to win it. Though foreign young kids often get overrated in comparison to our own and they've had a few youngsters come through and get raved about. They've been bad in both games. They're such a physically weak side. Never been a fan of him, but Smalling has been superb.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Please sack Hodgson before the finals. Give ourselves a chance.

Maybe then we could play at a good tempo, use the pace we have in abundance on thw wings. Be allowed to play with freedom, press teams, engage players.

Hodgson always has been a sackless turd. 

Back four. Rigid.

Middle three. Rigid.

Two wingers. Sit deep. Don't push on at all costs.

Rooney. Isolated.

**** off Roy. Just **** off you old word removed.

Sterling must have won his penalty on the half way line then with Shaw getting his assist from his own half?

8 out of 8, look solid at the back, scoring goals. Wingers and full backs pushing on. Milner pushed on behind their midfield plenty. Barkley in the box on most attacks, or just outside.

Meh, a goal's a goal. Shame he didn't used to take penalties as his record would be even more impressive.

How poor are Switzerland? When the groups were drawn there seemed to be a bit of talk about how we might struggle to win it. Though foreign young kids often get overrated in comparison to our own and they've had a few youngsters come through and get raved about. They've been bad in both games. They're such a physically weak side. Never been a fan of him, but Smalling has been superb.

Did fine in the World cup although I agree they've lacked a end product in both games, probably will be starting Embolo before too long as they lack a decent central striker.

How poor are Switzerland? When the groups were drawn there seemed to be a bit of talk about how we might struggle to win it. Though foreign young kids often get overrated in comparison to our own and they've had a few youngsters come through and get raved about. They've been bad in both games. 

I think they are only a decent striker from being a very good team.  I'd imagine a lot of Swiss are lamenting the fact that Alex Frei isn't five years younger. 

They remind me of Wales actually, a lot of them probably think the same about Craig Bellamy.  

Before anyone gets too excited unless I have got  this wrong I believe that since 1990 England have won a a total of 3 knock out games in summer tournaments- Spain in 1996 (on penalties), Denmark in 2002 and Ecuador in 2006. Which is nearly 10 years ago.  And 2 of these games we either did not score a goal or it was a set piece (Beckham in 06). Due to the euros now being 24 teams England will have to win a second round match to get to our customary loss on penalties quarter final spot. They did the job tonight but as soon as we will play someone half decent, England will lose. They are nothing more than a mid ranking European side. A bit like Villa on the international stage tbh. Glorious history and that's about it.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I actually think there's a very good comparison to be had with England and villa, where England sit in world football and we sit in the 92 English clubs, the history, the "invention" of the modern game, the fact that we won it all once, the fluctuations, the disappointments, where we sit now...

Agree they are mid ranking European team (when you get down to the finals obviously) so a quarter final is about right and not too much to expect IMO so us fans have every right to criticise the last couple of "efforts" but there seems to be a problem with criticising England now, or expecting too much...

How poor are Switzerland? When the groups were drawn there seemed to be a bit of talk about how we might struggle to win it. Though foreign young kids often get overrated in comparison to our own and they've had a few youngsters come through and get raved about. They've been bad in both games. 

I think they are only a decent striker from being a very good team.  I'd imagine a lot of Swiss are lamenting the fact that Alex Frei isn't five years younger. 

They remind me of Wales actually, a lot of them probably think the same about Craig Bellamy.  

It's looking like embolo will come good just as they lose the core of that midfield too but they've got Rodriguez, schar, xhaka, shaqiri, all decent enough young players

They did have hitzfeld in charge which makes a difference and they played the game with the FIFA rankings elevating themselves to a false position

Rooney scores 50 goals for England, but only 1 in World cup finals. Speaks volumes really.

Yes you look at leading scorers for other countries Pele for Brazil, Klose Germany they have all contributed massively in world cup finals. Its a shame he's taken the record from a legend of English football

• Like 2

Just read an article on Sky Sports basically sucking up to Roy Hodgson and claiming to debunk the "myths" about him but not actually doing anything to refute them. Annoys me that the media have given him such an easy ride in comparison to Capello and all because he's English.

Rooney scores 50 goals for England, but only 1 in World cup finals. Speaks volumes really.

Yes you look at leading scorers for other countries Pele for Brazil, Klose Germany they have all contributed massively in world cup finals. Its a shame he's taken the record from a legend of English football

How is it a shame? You'd rather he'd missed? 'This man I don't like is scoring too many goals for my team'! Talk about first-world problems. 

He has lost 2 competitive games as England manager and no shame losing to Italy or Uruguay. He also had to rebuilld after the "Golden Generation" of Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Cole and Lampard all retired. Thats nearly 500 caps of experience especially when none of players coming through are on the level of them 5

I don't agree, hodgson **** up big time at the World Cup, 2 man midfield of Gerrard and Henderson, absolute madness

I think the best thing that's happened this campaign has been sturridges injury, as a result we've found a bit of shape, before that it was trying to get Rooney, Sturridge, sterling and welbeck to all play together which is a non starter, if everyone's fit he's got to have the balls to drop at least one of those four and I'm not convinced he has

Â