England v Switzerland

andykeenan

Before anyone gets too excited unless I have got  this wrong I believe that since 1990 England have won a a total of 3 knock out games in summer tournaments- Spain in 1996 (on penalties), Denmark in 2002 and Ecuador in 2006. Which is nearly 10 years ago.  And 2 of these games we either did not score a goal or it was a set piece (Beckham in 06). Due to the euros now being 24 teams England will have to win a second round match to get to our customary loss on penalties quarter final spot. They did the job tonight but as soon as we will play someone half decent, England will lose. They are nothing more than a mid ranking European side. A bit like Villa on the international stage tbh. Glorious history and that's about it.

I don't think anybody is getting excited.

Our time of getting carried away by summer tournaments ended in 2006.

As it stands, I long for the days of getting knocked out on penalties in a quarter final.

It's a shame the Euros isn't done in a league format. I think we'd actually be quite good at that given our excellent qualifying results in recent years.

Edited by Stevo985

Rooney scores 50 goals for England, but only 1 in World cup finals. Speaks volumes really.

Yes you look at leading scorers for other countries Pele for Brazil, Klose Germany they have all contributed massively in world cup finals. Its a shame he's taken the record from a legend of English football

How is it a shame? You'd rather he'd missed? 'This man I don't like is scoring too many goals for my team'! Talk about first-world problems. 

No of course I wouldn't rather he'd missed, but I'd rather he had scored half the goals in total and double the goals in world cup finals. Actually that would still be crap!

Edited by PaulC

Rooney scores 50 goals for England, but only 1 in World cup finals. Speaks volumes really.

Yes you look at leading scorers for other countries Pele for Brazil, Klose Germany they have all contributed massively in world cup finals. Its a shame he's taken the record from a legend of English football

How is it a shame? You'd rather he'd missed? 'This man I don't like is scoring too many goals for my team'! Talk about first-world problems. 

No of course I wouldn't rather he'd missed, but I'd rather he had scored half the goals in total and double the goals in world cup finals. Actually that would still be crap!

Got more respect for Lineker. 48 goals for england and 10 in world cuo finals, thats 10 times more than Rooney. Correct me if im wrong.

Kane should be leading the line really....him with Rooney floating off him and Sterling as the wide option (despite the inflated fee he will be playing every week for City which you can't say for other wide options like Walcott and Ox) is probably the best bet as you can still play three in midfield.

Defence is shaping up o.k aswell....Shaw and Smalling are both stepping up.

Problem is midfield...lots a huge amount of experience and quality in Gerrard, Lampard and even Barry. It's solid but very uninspiring and none of the big nations will be losing any sleep over facing it.

That said to me the favourites to win Euros are France and Germany. Belgium have so much quality but have been garbage in the qualification although I doubt anyone will want to draw them in the group stages.

Looking at others not sure on Spain's motivation levels nowadays although still have so much quality, Holland probably won't even make it and I have to say the 11s Italy are putting out have to be their worst since the late 80s although they still have a few big game players in there like De Rossi and Buffon. Just look at how bad Italy's striking options are nowadays.

So on that basis I'll go for England to make the quarters yet again.

The format will help them...only eight of 24 teams get knocked out in group stages and in last 16 you can play a team who's finished 3rd in a group so Woy should certainly get the push if he can't produce a last 8 finish which is obviously par historically. 

maybe as Rooney gets a bit insulted for teams he scored against, Lineker got 8 against US and Turkey who were both crap at the time and 4 against Malaysia

yes but the main point is that Linekar scored goals in both the 86 and 90 world cups. Also his goals per game ratio is much better than Rooney's Like in cricket with batsmen. Do we take more notice of runs scored or averages. Bradman is the greatest ever because of his average not the runs he got.

• Like 1

maybe as Rooney gets a bit insulted for teams he scored against, Lineker got 8 against US and Turkey who were both crap at the time and 4 against Malaysia

yes but the main point is that Linekar scored goals in both the 86 and 90 world cups. Also his goals per game ratio is much better than Rooney's Like in cricket with batsmen. Do we take more notice of runs scored or averages. Bradman is the greatest ever because of his average not the runs he got.

This puts it to bed, Rooney's performances at world cups have been utter shite. Linekar delivered in all of his world cups. 

Lineker won a world cup golden boot

• Like 1

Rooney says he still fears for his place because of people like Kane. Does he **** - he'll always be picked for England regardless of form and he knows it. No manager would have the balls to drop him and certainly not that pathetic wretch Hodgson.

Well Rooney has gone into 2 World Cups injured so cant believe people expect him to have done it on the big stage. He was brilliant in Euro 2004 injured going into 2006 and 2010 and suspended half of Euro 2012

• 2 weeks later...

Well Rooney has gone into 2 World Cups injured so cant believe people expect him to have done it on the big stage. He was brilliant in Euro 2004 injured going into 2006 and 2010 and suspended half of Euro 2012

Hmmm? Suspended for 2012, shame. Did Linekar also win the fair play award for no yellows or red cards.

Gary Lineker didn't get booked in his entire professional career (567 appearances for club and country) but it's not an entirely fair comparison.  Lineker played in an era where it was much more difficult to get booked and he didn't drop back into midfield anywhere near as often as Rooney does, he wasn't required to as the game was quite different back then.  

It's still quite an achievement and Lineker definitely had a cooler head than Wayne Rooney and because of his exploits at Mexico 86 and Italia 90 I think he will be remembered as more of an England hero than Wayne Rooney unless Rooney does something amazing next summer. 

• Like 1

Â