Your Thoughts On Summer 2015 Transfer Window

Pilchard

If you make a team of the players we've signed and play it against a team of the players who've left (as I did in another thread) then it becomes fairly apparent we have, at best, stood still.

Really? Let's put that to the test. (As per the XI you posted in the other thread)

------------Given-------------

Lowton-Vlaar-Baker-Luna---

Delph-Cleverley-Herd-Sylla

---Benteke----Weimann-----

vs

--------------Bunn------------

Illori-Richards-Lescott-Amavi

--------Gueye-Veretout----------

Adama-----------------Sinclair

---------Ayew-Gestede---------

That second team is so much better let's be honest. Like, it's not even close.

Indeed.

The first midfield would be completely overawed. Fabian Delph is their most creative player and I think he has 4 assists in 3 seasons. It's flat and uninspiring. Then you are putting Adama up against Luna. Shudder...

Besides, the comparison is moot. Because it isn't about how those individuals would perform as they are, it's about how they fit in with the squad left behind by those departing. Add Grealish, Westwood, Sanchez, Gil, Hutton, Bacuna and Guzan to both squads and team 2 wins by an even clearer margin, mostly because that first defence is utterly atrocious. They would crumble.

I'd take 2 players back, Delph and Benteke, and I doubt you'll find anyone arguing with that.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

The best transfer window I think we've had since Big Ron had to build a squad for the newly formed Premier League.

I can still remember the VHS season review from this where they actually had the graphics of a revolving door showing everyone in and out.

If we've built a squad as good as Big Ron built that first season then we can all be pretty happy I think

I'm not sure I can add a great deal to what's already a sterling discussion.  That this level of analysis is taking place suggests a level of hope and drive in the Villa faithful that I've dearly missed.  It's been a lovely summer.  But if you'll afford me a somewhat tortured metaphor...

The infamous 'young and hungry' window had us camped like wide-eyed hopefuls with a fistful of lottery tickets.  We had Players in our dreams, but beyond the vaguely and desperately euphoric haze, there wasn't much going on.  Our numbers were unlikely to show.  We had little but daft hope.  Now we sit, more assured, no less excited, with a decent hand of cards in a poker game.  Sure, there's still a great deal of luck involved, and the other players may be just as shrewd and smart, but we've got a decent hand, we know we have a decent hand, and if we play these jacks and tens and the odd queen well, well, it's at least going to be fun.  And we have a much higher chance of winning this time.  And unlike lottery-playing mugs, we're actually playing a proper **** game now, and we know it.  This feels good.  This feels, you know, Prepared.  We're in our own hands in a way we haven't been for years.  For that at least I'm very grateful.  There have been many derisive comments over the past few yeasrs, many completely fair, that questions what the point of Aston Villa was.  What are we for?  What do we do?  I think we have a far stronger answer now.  I understand where the fist pumps are going.  We now all have a clearer idea of what Aston Villa is all about.  That'll do pig.

Less abstractly, as much as it seems churlish to pussyfoot around this group of well-remunerated, ultra-talented bodies, we must give them time.  Words like 'gel' make it seem oh-so-easy, when the reality is much trickier.  We need to, collectively and individually, know and understand strengths and weaknesses in the squad.  Just look at how Man United are suffering an identity crisis, and a real slump, because their talismanic striker (and sometime workhorse) is profoundly out of sorts.  Teams rely on exploiting what works in their side.  Arsenal can rely on a Sanchez burst of brilliance.  Man City can rely on some Silva slide rule wizardry.  Spurs can rely on their outstanding goalkeeper... and so on and so forth.  We don't know this yet.  And we certainly don't know how to make it work for us as a team.  This will take time.  Luckily for us we have the kind of dangerous, exciting players who will do damage whilst we collectively do our existentialist stretches and sprints.  Once we click, players playing with that definitive knowledge in their boots, I think we'll fly.

So, yes, it feels good to be a Villa fan again.  It feels really good to be part of something.  We look balanced, threatening and dynamic with a pleasing bed of class and swagger.  I love the hand we've been dealt.  I hope to God we get to play it as well as we imagine.

• Like 2

With this new lot of players - and you could probably include Grealish in there because Lambert never played him.

Grealish was 17 at the start of last season so it was always likely that he would only make a few apperances - clearly the more he matures the more likely he is to play. Plenty of sticks to beat Lambert with, without resorting to the ridiculous

Yep. And Lambert did play him.

He wasn't very good when he played.

Which is probably down to Lambert as well, but the accusation that he never played him is false.

Not exactly what I was implying, but I agree with your sentiment :)

Sorry I was just waffling on about a season review (they were a must buy every season....can you imagine going through the horror of watching all the the last few years reviews?!). Was only really waffling :D

This is it - 

- from 2.57 onwards. I'd forgotten George Gavin's 'tache!
  • Like 2

One point on the 'net spend' comments....

Given the level of change and the level of income from sales, I think it would be sensible for Tim to keep some money back in case something goes wrong with one or more of the signings, whether this be for an emergency buy in January or to boost the funds available next year. 

Obviously I don't know if he has kept some back, but lets not hasten to criticise anyone; it might just be the major surgery is done and it's just one or two genuine starters a year going forward. :detect:

• Like 1

One point on the 'net spend' comments....

Given the level of change and the level of income from sales, I think it would be sensible for Tim to keep some money back in case something goes wrong with one or more of the signings, whether this be for an emergency buy in January or to boost the funds available next year.

Obviously I don't know if he has kept some back, but lets not hasten to criticise anyone; it might just be the major surgery is done and it's just one or two genuine starters a year going forward. :detect:

That's the rub though isn't it? Do you put your money on the pitch now or keep some in the bank in case gambles on unproven players don't pay off. We did shift some dead wood this summer, essentially swapping Sinclair for Weimann looks great business but the big three departures this summer (Vlaar, Delph & Benteke) were all players forcing the move rather than us wanting to get rid and of those we only got good money for Benteke.

Hopefully the squad will improve. It's been so poor in recent years, failing to get 40 points on more than one occasion, that it has to improve or we are going down. Maybe not spending £15m on Charlie Austin might mean we continue dropping points at the rate we have been so far this season. For all the optimism Sherwood bought we haven't put in a convincing performance in quite some time.

• Like 1

With this new lot of players - and you could probably include Grealish in there because Lambert never played him.

Grealish was 17 at the start of last season so it was always likely that he would only make a few apperances - clearly the more he matures the more likely he is to play. Plenty of sticks to beat Lambert with, without resorting to the ridiculous

Grealish actually turned 19 at the beginning of last season (Sept), so it's not ridiculous to think Lambert could have got more out of him.

Grealish actually turned 19 at the beginning of last season (Sept), so it's not ridiculous to think Lambert could have got more out of him.

At the start of last season he was 18 not 17, my mistake - Lambert eased him into the squad as you would do with any 18 year old

I'm expecting another season with an eye behind us rather than looking up the league. I'd like to be more positive, but after spending £55m I would have hoped to be feeling a little more optimistic than is the case

I know that you have to improve both the first team and the squad but for me we have too many squad fillers and gambles - early days (and anything could happen) but I can see Ayew, Gestede and Veretout spending lots of time on the bench - I'd have rather seen that £25m out on the pitch

It is also concerning the number of players we have who are costing us money in wages but will hardly make a appearance - Gardner, Cole, Kozak, Okore, Senderos, Zog, Richardson, Steer (£20m total value? £180k a week?). These could also stop our Academy prospects breaking through

My biggest concern though is the lack of a decent striker - personally I'm glad we didnt get Berbatov or Adebayor but I would have loved us to get some like Gomis or Remy to lead the line with a bit of pace and power. I think we will need to go back into the market in January to correct this but it's hard to recruit well then.

All that being said, with a little more luck, we could easily be sitting on 6 or 8 points now and the football we are playing is much easier on the eye than anything we've seen for some years

Sadly, it's all academic as I doubt we will be winning anything in any of our lifetimes!

The best transfer window I think we've had since Big Ron had to build a squad for the newly formed Premier League.

I can still remember the VHS season review from this where they actually had the graphics of a revolving door showing everyone in and out.

If we've built a squad as good as Big Ron built that first season then we can all be pretty happy I think

Three minutes in on this video.

George Gavin's face furniture as well  :crylaugh:

Â