Your Thoughts On Summer 2015 Transfer Window

Pilchard

Pretty average window I think.

As I've mentioned before, I think we have done enough to stand still but without an adequate replacement for Benteke, we may struggle for goals.

Most of the people who think it was an amazing window think it's like playing football manager and that because a player has a fancy name, it means they are class.

Under Lambert we were starved for scoring opportunities and having a striker like Benteke who could feed off scraps was essential.

With this new lot of players - and you could probably include Grealish in there because Lambert never played him - there is more creativity and more chances likely to be created in the long run, in which case I am hoping the law of averages will take over. Sure Rudy and Ayew haven't really done much yet but the team is really still just figuring out how to play together and how best to use each striker's attributes. It will happen.

The other thing is we look like getting more goals from midfield with this lot. I'm sure Gueye has already had more shots in four games than Delph had all last season.

And Traore, well, we've only seen a few minutes of him, but really, he could be the cherry on top. With him, Grealish and Gil rotating through the side we will get goals and chances from well inside the box that even Gabby would have a hard time missing.

• Like 1

And Traore, well, we've only seen a few minutes of him, but really, he could be the cherry on top. With him, Grealish and Gil rotating through the side we will get goals and chances from well inside the box that even Gabby would have a hard time missing.

• Like 1

Pretty average window I think.

As I've mentioned before, I think we have done enough to stand still but without an adequate replacement for Benteke, we may struggle for goals.

Most of the people who think it was an amazing window think it's like playing football manager and that because a player has a fancy name, it means they are class.

You mean like Delphinho?

The value was not there to get proven PL players.  I fail to see what else we could have done.  Amavi, Veretout, Traore are some of the most exciting youngsters in European football.  Gueye has already shown that he is ready to replace Delph.  Gestede and Ayew are the gambles. Richards - proven.  Lescott - proven.  Sinclair - proven  Bunn and Crespo are back up.  Ilori and the keeper are ones for the future.  I share your concerns about a proven goalscorer but we obviously tried. 

Sinclair, Richards and Lescott for about 3.5m, credit to the club on that. I think we are all worried about replacing Benteke's goals, that's the whole issue, the only player who really scored for us was Benteke, now we have to change that. I'm happy with our dealings but as Tim knows it's a results game, if he starts winning then our view of the signings will get higher, if we don't then you all know what happens there.

The people who think it has been pretty average don't know anything about football. I'm a better fan than all of them. I know best.

• Like 2

I think bearing in mind the losses we occured in Vlaar, Delph and Benteke we've done pretty well this transfer window. I dont expect to see us flying up the table but I'm hopeful we'll be a little bit more comfortable this year and I'm 100% certain the football will be a bit easier on the eye.

With Grealish, Gil and in time Veretout and Traore we have some genuine creativity in the team. It has been many years since that was the case. So even though we have taken a bit of a risk with little PL experience in the key striking positions I think we will create chances and hopefully it will be enough to see us home.

All young players with potential to get better as well.

It was a good window completely hamstrung by the failure to get a decent striker. We've taken 2 punts instead and that concerns me, even of getting a decent striker was always going to be difficult. Ayew, Gestede, Gabby need to start performing.

If you are coming at this thinking we haven’t replaced Bentekes goals by bringing in one player who can score the amount of goals he did then you are almost certainly right.

However I think as a team we are now more than capable of replacing the goals he scored and some.

As a percentage of our goals scored we must have been the team most heavily reliant on one player over the last three seasons. Now I am extremely confident due to both the players we have and the manner in which we play that goals will be much more spread out across the team.

There is a real fluidity about the way we play now. We have central midfielders breaking into the box and beyond the strikers something we haven’t had in years. Before Saturday I couldn't tell you the last time I saw Westwood in the oppositions box having a shot 8 yards from goal. In fact it may never have happened under Lambert.

We scored a paltry amount of goals last season (31) and I am certain we will beat that. The season before we scored 39. I am confident we will score 45 plus goals this season. We won’t have one player scoring over half our goals though as was the case with Benteke. I fully expect that between Gabby, Gestede, Ayew, Sinclair, Kozak we will get 25+ goals and that Traore, Gil, Grealish, Gana and Westwood will chip in with a few goals. Richards and Lescott will also be a threat from set pieces.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

If I start by saying that the club's long term future must come first - and therefore we cannot just throw a load of money at a problem in hope.....

I think Tim (and others) have done a great job this window.

Some of the incoming are players who get into the starting 11 regularly and will both improve it and will improve themselves (Amavi, Richards, Traore, Gueye, Sinclair).

We've picked up some very promising youngsters in Sarkic, Illori, Ayew, Veretout.

We've got some experience to replace what we've lost in Lescott and Bunn - and Lescott probably won't go missing for 3 months around Christmas

We've shipped out some 'deadwood' - defined by ability, wages, and/or injuries - Weiman, Given, Bent, Tonev, Luna, Vlaar, etc

Some of our youngsters have been moved out on loan (including Bennett getting a chance in the PL)

The team look like they have a defined  attractive style of play and the squad has more depth to it in the key areas required by that style (example - our wide attacking players are now Gil, Grealish, Sinclair, Traore - plus Gabby, Cole, N'Zog and Bacuna - before it was Weiman, Cole, Gabby, N'Zog and Bacuna).

Obviously the big issue is the main striker. We need to give Gestede and Ayew a little time, but I really think that Sinclair as a number 9 can work in our system - and his finishing looks good. Buying a striker is always a lottery, and Benteke's goals need to be replaced - but perhaps replaced by the team scoring more rather than risk breaking the club by spending shed-loads on one guy, who might just fail (like Torres; Falcao; Di Maria; etc)

I think next summer will see a high number of exits - Cole, Senderos, N'Zog certainly - perhaps Hutton and Richardson too if the new guys do well. Given that this was Tim's first transfer window, I think he's done as much work in this one as Lambert did in total!

With this new lot of players - and you could probably include Grealish in there because Lambert never played him.

Grealish was 17 at the start of last season so it was always likely that he would only make a few apperances - clearly the more he matures the more likely he is to play. Plenty of sticks to beat Lambert with, without resorting to the ridiculous

With this new lot of players - and you could probably include Grealish in there because Lambert never played him.

Grealish was 17 at the start of last season so it was always likely that he would only make a few apperances - clearly the more he matures the more likely he is to play. Plenty of sticks to beat Lambert with, without resorting to the ridiculous

Not beating anyone. Simply stating a fact.

Â