Your Thoughts On Summer 2015 Transfer Window

Pilchard

Busy window but I think almost every signing is a gamble and we are putting an awful lot of faith that practically an entire teams worth of guys with no Premier League experience come good and gel quickly. If that doesn't happen then we could be in trouble again.

Interesting to see that of all the clubs in the Premier League only Southampton had a lower net spend than we did, we ended up a million or two down on transfer fees which isn't bad considering our hand was forced into selling Delph for far less than his market value. The overall wage bill may have gone down too with Given, Bent, Delph, Vlaar and Benteke leaving. Not sure what to read into this, was the scrimping on a striker another sign of Randy's lack of will to invest or just us keeping our powder dry until January?

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Busy window, but it absolutely had to be.

I'm really happy overall. The only loss we haven't covered is Benteke, and we were never really going to be able to cover him.

Overall we're better in defence, better in the midfield, and weaker in attack, but you'd hope our improved midfield will mean more goals regardless.

It will take a little while for the players to click, given we have such a new team, but I think we've got a really good foundation going forward once they do click.

Really fun summer. Most fun in my 20 years following Villa. Plenty of question marks though, in particular Ayew and Veretout. Wish we couldve bought another striker, but maybe this will be what Kozak, Gestede and Ayew need, a challenge. Step up and meet or exceed expectations. I think we will not be dragged into the mire, but we will be frustratingly inconsistent, finishing around 13th. Adama and Grealish will be fun to watch, and hopefully Gil has a point to prove. We have the foundation for an actual brighter future, hopefully things pan out and we can build on it.

UTV

• Like 2

We started the window being linked to the likes of Huddlestone,, Townsend, and Brady. We ended up with the likes of Gana, Traore, and Amavi.

Spot on. As a side note I am delighted Sherwood proved completely wrong the notion he would buy overrated British players or Spurs deadwood.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Keepers: A   Retained Guzan, removed Given with his wages, added Bunn and a promising young keeper.

Defense: A   Removed the deadwood (Vlaar, Lowton, Cissohko, Baker) and replaced them with leadership and experience (Richards, Lescott) and exciting prospects (Amavi, Ilori)

Midfield: A+   The snake and the other one that never wanted to be here both moved on along with Wiemann. Added Traore, Gana, Veretout and re-introduced Gil. Our midfield is looking better than I remember.

Attack: B   Losing Benteke was a big blow, but we were ably compensated for it (in monetary terms). Gestede, Ayew and Sinclair give us more options than just Gabby, but the first 2 are totally unproven. That could be our undoing.

Overall: A-

• Like 4

Keepers: A Retained Guzan, removed Given with his wages, added Bunn and a promising young keeper.

Defense: A Removed the deadwood (Vlaar, Lowton, Cissohko, Baker) and replaced them with leadership and experience (Richards, Lescott) and exciting prospects (Amavi, Ilori)

Midfield: A+ The snake and the other one that never wanted to be here both moved on along with Wiemann. Added Traore, Gana, Veretout and re-introduced Gil. Our midfield is looking better than I remember.

Attack: B Losing Benteke was a big blow, but we were ably compensated for it (in monetary terms). Gestede, Ayew and Sinclair give us more options than just Gabby, but the first 2 are totally unproven. That could be our undoing.

Hard to disagree with this post.

In general, happy. 

Really pleased with the signings of Amavi and Gana, the latter could well be one of the best signings we've ever made IMO. I'm looking forward to seeing Traore play more, as what we've seen so far has been massively encouraging. The rest, in general, need more time to settle in to their roles as we've some encouraging signs but it's a bit early yet. 

From what we've been used to over the past few years, the fact that Lerner is still here and losing the beast, I think it's been a very good window.

Only slight concerns I have are up front, but let's see how the lads get on first.

Reading today that as Berbatov is a free agent he could still join. Like the defense, I think having a little bit of nous up top wouldn't hurt at all. Also glad that this might mean Kozak will get a decent chance at making the position his own.

good window overall and a number of exciting players working their way into the team....

my only comment on all that has been said here and elsewhere in the site is that while benteke is a huge loss, the simple fact is that last season he scored 13 for us in the league and 10 the season before...

its not impossible to think that we've got that many goals in our new striker signings, Sinclair, gestede, ayew and kozak, to the extent he's like a new signing.... gestede and Sinclair have scored three in the first four games...

the spine of the team has been weakened considerably. From Guzan -Vlaar - Delph - Benteke

To Guzan - Richards - Gana - Grealish - ?

I wanted Adebayor so bad, he would've completed your counterargument perfectly.

Now we are left with Gestede and Ayew, and will have trouble scoring. I think more goals have to come from midfield, and Sinclair.

Our defense looks much better than before though, maybe it won't be so gung ho after all...

All in all Tim did well, I'm reasonably happy.

Keepers: A Retained Guzan, removed Given with his wages, added Bunn and a promising young keeper.

Defense: A Removed the deadwood (Vlaar, Lowton, Cissohko, Baker) and replaced them with leadership and experience (Richards, Lescott) and exciting prospects (Amavi, Ilori)

Midfield: A+ The snake and the other one that never wanted to be here both moved on along with Wiemann. Added Traore, Gana, Veretout and re-introduced Gil. Our midfield is looking better than I remember.

Attack: B Losing Benteke was a big blow, but we were ably compensated for it (in monetary terms). Gestede, Ayew and Sinclair give us more options than just Gabby, but the first 2 are totally unproven. That could be our undoing.

Agree with this, it's been an exciting window, the squad looks stronger than it has done in a while. There are a few question marks over our strikers, but we should be playing exciting football and I would expect us as a team, rather than relying on one player to score more goals than in the last few seasons. Edited by dukes

good window overall and a number of exciting players working their way into the team....

my only comment on all that has been said here and elsewhere in the site is that while benteke is a huge loss, the simple fact is that last season he scored 13 for us in the league and 10 the season before...

its not impossible to think that we've got that many goals in our new striker signings, Sinclair, gestede, ayew and kozak, to the extent he's like a new signing.... gestede and Sinclair have scored three in the first four games...

This is such an excellent point that I think gets overlooked a lot in the worry about adequately replacing Benteke. For all that he was the main man and our main (read: only) goal threat, for how unplayable he looked at times, and for those goal-a-game spells he had, we must remember that he didn't actually score that many goals. It's hardly a stretch to see the new attacking players, between them, surpassing those totals. And even if we use his injury spells as mitigation, the fact the goalscoring burden is spread over more players now should reduce the impact of anyone having a lengthy period out. Time will tell but I think Tim's gone about it the right way.

Exciting, definitely. We've increased the ceiling of the squad immensely, however, not convinced we've improved the immediate quality compared to rival clubs, who have improved as well. Relying on too many players to hit the ground running. It's up to the manager now to get the best of these players.

Overall I'd say a B+ window. 

B-

Please explain your scoring method. Is B- good, bad or indifferent?

What was the lowest a signing could score?

You have awarded 3 As and 3 B+s in the individual scores so it is hard to see how it all adds up to just a B-.

A - amazing window best ever

B - very good window

C - good window

D - average window

E - poor window

F - worst window ever we might as well delegate ourselves

The overall score represents our purchases and departures in the context of what our squad looks like now. I think it's been a very good window and I am as happy as I can remember after a summer transfer window. However concerns remain over whether Gestede and Ayew can have an immediate impact this season now we have lost our best player. Also I would have liked us to sign a new goalkeeper.

Excited to finally have players that can come off the bench and change a game if needed.

One of the best transfer windows imo.

Have no idea where to put this seeing as everything else is locked.

thegolfingvillan ... @brucemacgolf 27m27 minutes ago

#AVFCavfc.png Discussions with Dimitar Berbatov are still continuing. He has until 5pm tomorrow to put playing football before January over greed.

Â