Your Thoughts On Summer 2015 Transfer Window

Pilchard

I'm delighted with the business we've done in this window. Broadly speaking, I don't really care about the players we've lost because of players we've brought in. Part of that might be down to quantity, with so many coming in we've been treated to the high of a new signing regularly enough to mitigate the disappointments. But I also think we've brought in some real quality and I can't wait to see more of them.

More specifically, I may have been in the minority but I didn't think we needed a new keeper and I'm quite happy with Guzan as number 1 still. The defence will be much stronger with whatever the first choice combination winds up being and also has enough depth now that it won't be shattered by a couple of injuries. Same for the midfield, we now have options and strength in depth when needed.

Bringing in a superstar up front to replace Benteke would have taken the excitement to another level I suppose but I think the money has been better used by strengthening the squad as a whole. Because we needed a hell of a lot of strengthening.

Superb. I was not expecting the amount of players and the level of quality. I think the fact that we signed a highly rated 22 year old Portuguese U21 international who went for £7m as an 18 year old on the deadline day and nobody seems to give a shit, is indicative.

**** chuffed to bits with Richards, Amavi, Lescott, Gana and Adama in particular and it feels great to have a squad again. Now let's get them all fit and firing.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

My thoughts at the start of the window were that we should sell Benteke for that £32.5m and use the money to build a better-balanced squad with more consistent quality throughout - obviously that would be at a level of skill lower than Benteke.

As far as is possible to tell, Sherwood seems to have managed this and I am looking forward to seeing how players like Veretout, Amavi, Gana, Traore etc., develop and gel with the more experienced players like Richards and Lescott and our established talent like Grealish, Westwood, etc .

We still look weak in the goalkeeping area and obviously it's disappointing that we couldn't get an experienced striker - still wonder if Berba may wake up and smell the coffee and lower his wage demands.

Also disappointed to see Zog still with us. How long is his **** contract, for ****'s sake??!!

All in all, a decent window.

Sherwood now needs to get all these new players playing together effectively.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Absolutely no idea. It could go any direction. When taken in isolation, each player should be an excellent buy. It's just tempered slightly by the indifferent start we've had.

So perhaps it will be an excellent window and we didn't need a proven goalscorer.

Many teams would have wanted a 20 plus goalscorer ... Almost guarantees safety (didn't work out for QPR and Austin, though)... Benteke, was that kind of player. He's gone now. Adebayor just didn't seem to want to play football for anyone... A sad waste. Gayle, I feel, could have done a job for us. His lack of opportunities at Palace, however, indicate that his head might not be in the game enough... Who knows ? Sinclair looks hungry again. Gestede and Ayew have barely featured. Let's give these players a chance ... Amavi and Guye already look pretty settled. Lots of potential at Villa Park that could quickly enhance our team if the latter gel quickly. I've found some encouraging signs in every game we've played so far this season... Once we get 8-9 players really connecting on a regular basis, we should be ok. The striker purchase could be revisited in January.

• Like 1

Overall I think we've added pace, strength and creativity to the team & squad. Cleared a large chunk of deadwood & the squad has a younger, fresher look with potential for using several different tactical approaches depending on personnel. Previously the squad just didn't really have the options for much variation. There's things I still wonder about - source of goals, leadership in midfield/attacking positions, distribution from goalkeeper - but it's early days.

Some signings look instant hits, others are more in the wait-and-see, but it's always going to be like that at the price tag we are shopping at - if you sign 12 cheap-mid price players, you're almost guaranteed a couple will be duds. Overall the changes this summer leave me hopeful that we can develop something good over next few years

Not backed by the board so we generated our own funds and used them terrifically for the most part. Some genuinely exciting young players a few of whom I believe can make it at the highest level. Defence and midfield improved 10 fold, only worry is lack of firepower up top but everyone will have to muscle in with a few goals rather than relying on one guy this season.

8.5/10 for the window overall.

B-

Would've been higher had we bought a proven goalscorer.  It was a very difficult window and I think the AVFC team excelled in almost all areas. How we have approached this window has been mightily refreshing.  Sherwood, Reilly, Fox, Almsdadt and co deserve a lot of credit.

Bunn - Don't think he is good enough for 2nd choice to be honest but willing to give him a chance. D

Sarkic - Unknown

Crespo - Adequate cover for all defensive positions at a bargain price. C

Ilori - Have no idea if he is any good but Liverpool fans are gutted. Very highly rated. Reckon he could be our new RB. C+

Richards - Wasn't sure if he was CB material but he has proven me wrong so far. Very impressive. B+

Lescott -  We needed experience in the team and we needed to improve the left sided CB position. Perfect. B+

Amavi - The Benteke of this season. What a signing. Still can't believe we managed to get him. A

Gueye - This guy is immense. Energy levels are crazy and he has a bit of quality about him too. Tailor made for the PL. A

Veretout - Has the ability to be the new Milner. Will need time though. Very exciting player. B+

Traore - Probably the most exciting forward player we have had since Ashley Young. This guy could be world class imo.  A

Sinclair - Proven PL player who could be the one that saves our bacon in the goalscoring front. B-

Gestede - I really like him.  Yes his mobility may be an issue but with players buzzing around him then he will be a great focal point for our attacks. B-

Ayew - It is obvious he has tons of ability but this is the one that I am worried about it.  Needs time and confidence but seems like one destined to not quite work out.  C

I look forward to revisiting this at the end of the season when they should all be judged properly.

Edited by omariqy

Before the window opened some people were concerned that Sherwood had never actually signed a player, well he has now signed 13!

I can't recall a busier summer for us, has he brought wisely? I guess we'll know by May however even if it goes tits up I won't be blaming Sherwood for who he has signed because imo he has exceeded my expectations and then some.

The real hard work starts now for Sherwood, making this sqaud gel. Get that right and we'll be in the top half, even with a low net spend.

Vlaar, Benteke, Delph, Bennett (L), Baker (L), Given, Tonev, Bent, Luna, Weimann, Lowton

That's more or less a team there. If you played them (ignoring positional issues) against a team made up from, say:

Amavi, Gana, Veretout, Traore, Richards, Lescott, Gestede, Guzan, Ayew, Ilori and Sinclair

I think, the Benteke factor aside, the new boys would kick the very arses of the old lot. The only factor is how much of a factor the Benteke factor is. If we find we can score goals, I think we could even possibly be a fairly devastating side. We might not score too many and just struggle in a highly entertaining manner.  Either way, well done to Tim and the club for a pretty heroic transfer window overall.

Decided to plug everyone (minus Nzogbia, Steer, and Senderos) into a standard 4-4-2.  It's definitely been a while since I've seen depth on a Villa team like this.  No idea how Ilori will fit in, maybe Okore's injury is worse than we thought?  Either way, it's nice to have options at each position.  Only negative was not bringing in a proven striker to replace Benteke, but it's better than shoehorning one in just because we panicked.

CN3IdmVWcAA0Cq8.png

Edited by Houseoftomorrow

If you make a team of the players we've signed and play it against a team of the players who've left (as I did in another thread) then it becomes fairly apparent we have, at best, stood still.

Really? Let's put that to the test. (As per the XI you posted in the other thread)

------------Given-------------

Lowton-Vlaar-Baker-Luna---

Delph-Cleverley-Herd-Sylla

---Benteke----Weimann-----

vs

--------------Bunn------------

Illori-Richards-Lescott-Amavi

--------Gueye-Veretout----------

Adama-----------------Sinclair

---------Ayew-Gestede---------

That second team is so much better let's be honest. Like, it's not even close.

And that is the final element; we all accept we have a limited budget but given we lost our best players, needed an overhaul, have a new manager and finished 17th last season, I'm fuming that we spent so little money that wasn't from sales and even more disappointed that Lerner has somehow managed to sneak this past a large majority of fans who have been seduced by the pure numbers rather than the difference in quality.

So little? How much more could we realistically spend without our transfers being overkill?

He can sell the whole first XI next season for £30m but as long as we buy 40 relatively unknown foreign players for £10m that may or may not end up both being good enough and settling in the Premier League it will keep the masses happy.

But that's not what happened though is it? This is a non sequitur. We didn't sell the whole starting XI or anything close to it. We sold 2 key players and built an entire squad out of the sales. Also, unknown? Many of the players we signed were very highly rated. Amavi, the highest rated player in the entire French league last season. Adama, a highly rated youngster from Barcelona. Veretout, one of the most promising young French midfielders, I could go on. Just because they don't play in the PL and you personally haven't heard of them, does not make them unknown. This is such a terrible argument, not least because the fact that they are allegedly unknown has nothing to do with our net spend. If we spent 80-90M on these unknowns instead of 50M you'd probably be singing a different tune.  

• Like 1

Â