Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

http://7500toholte.sbnation.com/2016/8/17/12514762/jordan-ayew-let-aston-villa-down-against-huddersfield

Jordan Ayew is a fantastic player. There's no doubt about it. He had a stellar game against Sheffield Wednesday, a good game against Luton and a decent match when we played Rotherham. However, when Villa faced Huddersfield at home last night, Jordan Ayew dropped the ball.

I am getting the feeling he may have duped us a bit last season, our best player in a bad bunch and now doesn't seem to play well with others of a similar "ability level". 

If someone came in with a high bid I think we could replace him, but think he can be moulded to be a better team player, finisher and more effective use of his energy. 

13 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Still no chant for him - we sing Rudy's name, we sing super Jack, we even sing for Ross McCormack who has just joined.  Our best player - nothing!!!!!!   

Eh?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Selling one of our top players when we need even more attacking depth seems logical?

Without even scoring goals he does a whole LOT! Ridiculous suggestion.

I think you are missing my point about if a large offer comes in. If we get £15m+ I don't think we will have any problems replacing him with someone more effective at this level.  Last year he was the best of a very very poor bunch and I think he and a lot of people think he's a lot better than he truly is. 

3 hours ago, GeneralJazzman said:

http://7500toholte.sbnation.com/2016/8/17/12514762/jordan-ayew-let-aston-villa-down-against-huddersfield

I am getting the feeling he may have duped us a bit last season, our best player in a bad bunch and now doesn't seem to play well with others of a similar "ability level". 

If someone came in with a high bid I think we could replace him, but think he can be moulded to be a better team player, finisher and more effective use of his energy. 

So... I can't tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing with the article?

He missed chances against Huddersfield, his finishing generally is hit and miss and I'd like to see it improve. I think the goals will come regardless. Aside from which he ran his bollocks off, created chances for both himself and others and got bums off seats. 

I'm not really sure what I'm missing with Ayew, I'm not seeing the majority of these negatives. I see a talented footballer who has been our best player so far this season, short as it is, who works hard and hasn't even started to eat into the goodwill he earned last season. Only add to it. 

I just don't know what people want from a player these days. I'm baffled. 

• Like 1

Can I ask; Is there a single Villa fan who doesn't at least think he's in our top 5 best players? If not, then why should an ambitious club entertain selling one of their best players when money appears to be no major obstacle in the short term?

• Like 1

He's certainly one of them and that for me is good enough.  A frontline of Gestede, Ayew & McCormack in this league over the course of a season will score bucketloads.  I say leave them well enough alone and improve elsewhere.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's our best player.

I agree which is why I am so utterly mystified as to why some are actually eager to sell him, never mind open to offers. 

Bizarroworld stuff. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I don't really get it. He tracks his man. He's constantly pressing players. Makes an outstanding amount of tackles for someone who is a forward. If anything, his issue is that he's not more selfish. He needs to shoot when he gets in to good positions more IMO.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So... I can't tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing with the article?

He missed chances against Huddersfield, his finishing generally is hit and miss and I'd like to see it improve. I think the goals will come regardless. Aside from which he ran his bollocks off, created chances for both himself and others and got bums off seats. 

I'm not really sure what I'm missing with Ayew, I'm not seeing the majority of these negatives. I see a talented footballer who has been our best player so far this season, short as it is, who works hard and hasn't even started to eat into the goodwill he earned last season. Only add to it. 

I just don't know what people want from a player these days. I'm baffled. 

I don't know what to make of him, that's my bottom line. 

There seems to be some who see him as this star and our best player, others feel he isn't committed, others who are not sure/yet to be convinced and many more. Think I fall in the not convinced group.

Thinking about why I am not convinced could bedue to his body language, when tracking back he doesn't get fully goal side (looks to steal it quick and not fully cover full back), head drops when it isn't going his way, when frustrated doesn't link well with others. Hopefully training will adjust that and I will be more convinced. 

For me talent and hard work are not as effective as well applied effort and team ethic - but that's my perspective. You can work hard at ineffective things and expel energy getting nowhere. 

I would have Cissokho or Elphick as our best players so far. 

48 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't really get it. He tracks his man. He's constantly pressing players. Makes an outstanding amount of tackles for someone who is a forward. If anything, his issue is that he's not more selfish. He needs to shoot when he gets in to good positions more IMO.

He definitely presses in the final third but not sure he has got used to the wide position and his own positioning when defending. He's good at trying to nick it in the final third / half way. 

He left Cissokho so much to do against Wednesday, our toughest test thus far imho. Like I said above just not convinced yet but could grow into that role more - against a more attacking opposition think he could be a weak link in that position. 

Maybe not the best, but he's up there. He's been very solid at the back and done decent going forward. If Amavi put in identical performances, people would be raving IMO.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

aAVKbqd_700b.jpg

Nope. 

Defended solidly, crosses have been improved, one assist already and think he has grown amongst this team. Shown more of the player he used to be. Dont think he will be on my list through the whole season but considering the previous season he has had a good start. 

7 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

He definitely presses in the final third but not sure he has got used to the wide position and his own positioning when defending. He's good at trying to nick it in the final third / half way. 

He left Cissokho so much to do against Wednesday, our toughest test thus far imho. Like I said above just not convinced yet but could grow into that role more - against a more attacking opposition think he could be a weak link in that position. 

Grealish played on the left in front of Cissokho. Your confusion maybe comes from the fact that Ayew was constantly belting it across the pitch to assist them both.

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Grealish played on the left in front of Cissokho. Your confusion maybe comes from the fact that Ayew was constantly belting it across the pitch to assist them both.

He said against Wednesday. Ayew was definitely wide left against them, Bacuna wide right.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I watched that game, Ayew was covering the left for the majority of the first half. They may have swapped sides a bit but he was there most for sure in the first half. Think the Sky commentators even said Cissokho should been asking Ayew for more cover. Didn't think Grealish played the Wednesday game... Maybe a sub appearance?

Â