Uber

Stevo985

This is the data breach they denied even though people in Leeds were being charged for cars in San Francisco. So not only did they pay the hacker but they also paid all the fares back to the people that complained. Those that complained were also told it was likely they were using an insecure password and it was more likely someone had taken their data from their phone as there had been no breach at Uber

55 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is the data breach they denied even though people in Leeds were being charged for cars in San Francisco. So not only did they pay the hacker but they also paid all the fares back to the people that complained. Those that complained were also told it was likely they were using an insecure password and it was more likely someone had taken their data from their phone as there had been no breach at Uber

Uber. Consumer champion and protector of the little people.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

You know that fit and proper test I keep talking about... this admission should be another reason why they should lose their licences absolutely everywhere in the UK

This sort of admission should kill them, their customers should be up in arms and talking their custom elsewhere. They won’t though, it’s staggering how little people care about these sort of things it’s like data theft is just accepted as a norm.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

This sort of admission should kill them, their customers should be up in arms and talking their custom elsewhere. They won’t though, it’s staggering how little people care about these sort of things it’s like data theft is just accepted as a norm.

Especially Uber customers... total breed apart

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Especially Uber customers... total breed apart

I don’t think that is the case really. People just want things cheaper, they aren’t bothered why it’s cheaper like at Primark. As for data theft, I honestly think people are completely indifferent to it which is staggering.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I don’t think that is the case really. People just want things cheaper, they aren’t bothered why it’s cheaper like at Primark. As for data theft, I honestly think people are completely indifferent to it which is staggering.

There's some of that sure but regular users of Uber are akin to evangelical Christians, nothing but nothing will persuade them that their god isn't the right path to follow, And when you consider a huge percentage of Uber users are tech savvy, if any other company did to them what Uber has been doing they'd find an alternative that suited them but they don't. These aren't the sort of people that don't give a crap about this stuff, these are the people that normally do

• 2 weeks later...

Some Updates on the current Uber news

They managed to lose $1.5 billion last quarter... A new record even for them

They've just been told that they can't take their Employment Tribunal appeal straight to the Supreme Court as they'd wished (they  believe they'll win there), they've been told they must take the appeal to the same next stage as everyone else, the Court of Appeal. More expense for them... oh well. 

Getting slammed by the judge in the Waymo case, stateside for hiding and destroying evidence... Its acyaully quite astonishing what they get away with that no one else would.

On 11/22/2017 at 18:31, TrentVilla said:

For me it's not really about price, although that helps. It's more convenient, it's more reliable, it's easier to use and it's global.

It works for me. I understand the drawbacks, I still haven't found a better alternative so I'll keep using it.

• Like 4

What's stopping an app, like uber, thats just made for drivers with no middle man creaming off the profit .

It could be paid for monthly with a fixed cost by the drivers who register their cars and id's, maybe even a CRB check. 

The beauty of uber is the ease of use and how universal it is , you can use it around the world with relativity  clear pricing. Until another similar app comes along Uber are going to get bigger and bigger , despite its problems .

We need a competitor to Uber which is just as easy to use, has loads of drivers like Uber, and you can use anywhere.

Then people will leave Uber.   
Until that happens, Uber does something that no-one else can match.

20 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We need a competitor to Uber which is just as easy to use, has loads of drivers like Uber, and you can use anywhere.

Then people will leave Uber.   
Until that happens, Uber does something that no-one else can match.

Exactly. Despite Bicks' claim that it's because we're all obsessed with Uber and will never leave, it's purely because they offer a service nobody else does. At least very few and certainly not on the same scale.

I couldn't give a shit about Uber. i'd dump them tomorrow if there was a good alternative. But there isn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

What's stopping an app, like uber, thats just made for drivers with no middle man creaming off the profit .

It could be paid for monthly with a fixed cost by the drivers who register their cars and id's, maybe even a CRB check. 

The beauty of uber is the ease of use and how universal it is , you can use it around the world with relativity  clear pricing. Until another similar app comes along Uber are going to get bigger and bigger , despite its problems .

The Law prevents it, private hire drivers must accept work through a licensed Private Hire Operator

EDIT: Relatively clear pricing :mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...

I've only just spotted this thread.

A few weeks back it was me Moms birthday, we were heading out to meet a few family members for a drink and a curry, all the taxis that I called said it was going to be a 30 minute wait, I downloaded the Uber app to see what that was saying and it got a driver to us in less than 5 minutes.

My Dads phone fell out of his pocket in the car and we didn't realise until about 20 minutes later and were in the pub, I tried calling the phone and it rang out, my Dad wasn't overly bothered by it and we just carried on, about 20 minutes later we spotted this little Indian bloke wondering round going from table to table looking lost, then my Dad recognised him as the driver, he'd come back and was trawling the pub trying to find us so he could give us the phone back, fair **** to him, put it this way, if that was Yenton cars I doubt if you would have seen the phone again.

I've used them 2 or 3 times now, I actually find them cheaper that Yenton, Plaza and Star, its also nice to know exactly where it is and when it will be getting there.

• Like 3

It was my mode of transport in Vegas and also in Baltimore, I liked that I knew the price up front, I knew where they were and that I could pay and tip through the app. Sadly it's not so widespread in Stafford so still have to use private hire.

I used them for the first time in mid December. I was trying to book a taxi and phoned 3 different firms only to be told 1 hour plus wait.

Downloaded Uber in 2 mins and had a taxi in another 5, saved about 30-40% compared to a normal fare as well. I know where my business is going next time.

We went to Symphony Hall on Dec 16, an Uber there was just over £16, about 4 or 5 quid cheaper than local cabs.

Uber on the way back after the gig was £14.50, the least I've ever paid that I can remember.

For those talking about competitors 'Lyft' are pretty widespread in the States and I've heard rumblings about them coming here.

Almost every Uber I used in LA and SF had a Lyft sticker also.

Edited by Wainy316

Â