Mark Bunn

villan_007

Like I said before, I don't think the competition needs to be an amazing keeper.

The message has already been sent that if he underperforms, even for one game, he's dropped.

As long as the back up is competent and capable of taking his place, then the threat of being dropped is always there.

Bunn is good enough.

Though you said in a  previous post that he is nowhere near Guzan's level? If Guzan remains he knows he will be No1 without any pressure in the world.

Like I said before, I don't think the competition needs to be an amazing keeper.

The message has already been sent that if he underperforms, even for one game, he's dropped.

As long as the back up is competent and capable of taking his place, then the threat of being dropped is always there.

Bunn is good enough.

Though you said in a  previous post that he is nowhere near Guzan's level? If Guzan remains he knows he will be No1 without any pressure in the world.

You keep either ignoring my posts or not reading them properly.

He's not as good as Guzan. I did say that before (I don't think I used the phrase that he was nowhere near Guzan's level) and nothing above contradicts that.

What I said above is he is good enough to cover the position in the event that Guzan is dropped again (or injured for that matter). Guzan already knows he will be dropped if he underperforms. All we need is a goalkeeper good enough to play in that event and that possibility remains, so the pressure is there for Guzan.

Edited by Stevo985

Bunn has been a designated #2 for the last seven years (bar one loan spell). He puts absolutely no pressure on Guzan whatsoever. However this signing doesn't rule out the possibility of us still replacing Guzan also.

• Like 1

i just noticed he's only played 23 times in the last three years, pretty hard to make judgement if he'd good enough back up or not based on that. Really hope Guzan or his replacement can stay fit next season. Maybe Steer's going to be no.2 and this guy the third choice.

i just noticed he's only played 23 times in the last three years, pretty hard to make judgement if he'd good enough back up or not based on that. Really hope Guzan or his replacement can stay fit next season. Maybe Steer's going to be no.2 and this guy the third choice.

I think it makes it pretty easy to make judgement. We're a premiership team that seemingly wants to improve. Signing gk who can't get a game for teams in lower divisions won't improve us.

First choice gk in lower divisions should be the least we aim for with regards our back ups.

• Like 1

That sounds about right, but if you've got no money what you gonna do? He might not even be second choice though. One good thing you can say is that Norwich fans seem to reckon he did a good job one time when he came in for Ruddy. Barring a bad injury to Guzan, it's not the end of the world though I guess.

I wasn't aiming any sort of slant on Bunn above by the way, if that is how it read. He sounds like he'll be a capable back-up player. More that is all he'll be and everyone knows it.

I think it makes it pretty easy to make judgement. We're a premiership team that seemingly wants to improve. Signing gk who can't get a game for teams in lower divisions won't improve us.

First choice gk in lower divisions should be the least we aim for with regards our back ups.

A first choice goalkeeper would very clearly require a transfer fee, no?

A first choice goalkeeper would very clearly require a transfer fee, no?

Not sure what your point is?

Chelsea had terrible back up keepers for years.

Liverpool still have bogdan.

Even the top teams don't regard back up keeper as a need of quality.

Being negative about a back up keeper stinks of being negative for the sake of it.

Being positive about a back up keeper stinks of being positive for the sake of it.

Be a pretty boring place it we also said:

Welcome mark. Will provide good backup.

We're trying to save money. Bunn was clearly brought in because he's the cheapest possible option who doesn't wear clown shoes. 

I personally think we may still be in for a first choice goalkeeper, but whether we are or not, the signing of Mark Bunn isn't meant to 'put pressure on Guzan', it's meant to provide depth in case of injury. 

Being negative about a back up keeper stinks of being negative for the sake of it.

Being positive about a back up keeper stinks of being positive for the sake of it.

Yeah, what a ridiculous comment that would be. 

This is where you're totally wrong.

Nobody is saying its a fantastic signing or anything positive like that.

It seems that unless you're moaning then you're being positive for the sake of it.

Ok.

This is where you're totally wrong.

Nobody is saying its a fantastic signing or anything positive like that.

It seems that unless you're moaning then you're being positive for the sake of it.

Ok.

Where have a said people are saying it's a fantastic signing?

I really don't see your issue with people being underwhelmed by this signing. For me it says an awful lot about the direction were heading.

StefanAVFC - can I just point out that my posts aren't an indication that I'm rocking in a corner with a gun to my head. Perhaps they read like that, I don't know. But they're not.

If I post that I think we've signed a shit gk it's because I think we've signed a shit gk. I put forward my reasons for that but I'm by no means crying about it. In fact outside of villatalk I really couldn't give a damn. Villatalk encourages me to put my opinion forward - that's about it.

Similarly with delph - I post that I don't truly believe he is loyal because I simply don't believe he's loyal like he made out. Again I put my reasons forward because it's a forum. But I'm in no means drowning in self pity or negativity about it. Barring the fact wel lose a good player, I genuinely won't give a shit. It's happened before, Itl happen again.

Apologies for going off topic.

• Like 1

Who and why? The next Andy Marshall of 'Villa keepers who never had a first team game' quiz question.

The why is because we are saving about 30-40k a week off the wage bill with Bunn sat on the bench instead of Given. I just hope those resources are used elsewhere.

I've had time to reflect on this signing. Initially I didn't understand it, but I was wrong. I'm now convinced Bunn will be a Villa superstar and our number one. He'll be one of the best keepers in the division and Guzan will leave too as we won't need him with Steer as backup instead. He also will fit perfectly within our wage structure.

Yep. Perfect for the league we'll be in 16/17 season....

Â